Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Slight shutter/vibration during take-off ('95-5spd)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
gresmi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slight shutter/vibration during take-off ('95-5spd)

Good afternoon everyone!!

I have tried doing a search within the forum for similar symptoms but wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd do a quick post.

I have a '95 LT1 6-spd with 112k miles. Car is running pretty good but have recently noticed a slight shutter/vibration as I'm pulling away from a stop. I don't notice any vibration or shutter while shifter when I'm moving (2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6). I am also not seeing any type of slippage while driving. I thought one day getting out of the car I could smell the clutch dust but I haven't noticed anything since then...could have been my mind/nose playing tricks on me. I don't know if I have a rough spot in the clutch or maybe a u-joint...or maybe the clutch simply needs replaced. I recently put new u-joints in the half shafts but not in the drive shaft. I'm not hearing anything as it's not a 'click'...it just a slight shutter/vibration when I take off.

Its also not the click people have talked about when taking off from the hubs. My car had that issue but when I replaced the hubs/bearings/u-joints/spacer in the back that noise went away. This isn't a noise, this is something you can feel in the car. This happens all the time from a stop...so it doesn't have anything to do with going from reverse to forward.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced something similar with their car. If this is an early sign of a clutch going bad (which is what I'm thinking) or maybe it's something completely different.

Thanks in advance for any help and I appreciate anyone who has read this post this far.

Greg
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by gresmi
Good afternoon everyone!!

I have tried doing a search within the forum for similar symptoms but wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd do a quick post.

I have a '95 LT1 6-spd with 112k miles. Car is running pretty good but have recently noticed a slight shutter/vibration as I'm pulling away from a stop. I don't notice any vibration or shutter while shifter when I'm moving (2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6). I am also not seeing any type of slippage while driving. I thought one day getting out of the car I could smell the clutch dust but I haven't noticed anything since then...could have been my mind/nose playing tricks on me. I don't know if I have a rough spot in the clutch or maybe a u-joint...or maybe the clutch simply needs replaced. I recently put new u-joints in the half shafts but not in the drive shaft. I'm not hearing anything as it's not a 'click'...it just a slight shutter/vibration when I take off.

Its also not the click people have talked about when taking off from the hubs. My car had that issue but when I replaced the hubs/bearings/u-joints/spacer in the back that noise went away. This isn't a noise, this is something you can feel in the car. This happens all the time from a stop...so it doesn't have anything to do with going from reverse to forward.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced something similar with their car. If this is an early sign of a clutch going bad (which is what I'm thinking) or maybe it's something completely different.

Thanks in advance for any help and I appreciate anyone who has read this post this far.

Greg
You don't mention ever checking the clutch fluid? Have you?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
gresmi
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You don't mention ever checking the clutch fluid? Have you?
I have not done that. I'm not even sure I know where the canister is. I'm assuming it's under the brake booster. Assuming all the extra room there is under the hood I'm sure it will be easy to check.

Good idea, I'll check that tonight. Thanks!!!

Greg
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
gresmi
Advanced

I have not done that. I'm not even sure I know where the canister is. I'm assuming it's under the brake booster. Assuming all the extra room there is under the hood I'm sure it will be easy to check.

Good idea, I'll check that tonight. Thanks!!!

Greg
Last night I checked the clutch fluid. It was level with the 'Add' line. I added oil and drove the Vette to the office this morning. I didn't notice any change. Wait, I take that back. If I'm very gentle with the clutch it seems I don't feel any shutter which I think is better. If I'm slightly more aggressive I seem to feel something. It is like the clutch is starting to 'catch'.

Quick example. When I pulled out of the garage this morning I was very easy on the clutch. It pulled away smooth, I didn't feel anything. Then, at a stop light this morning, I had a VW Jetta try to race me to the Interstate on-ramp turn. I won but I did get a little more aggressive on my take-off...I felt the shutter then.

This shutter isn't bad, I mean...it doesn't shake the entire car. I'd say 8 out of 10 people would never think twice about it. But I feel it, I know something today is different than it was a week ago. Just trying to see if anyone has had a similar situation and what this 'shutter' is eventually going to lead to...if anything.

Thanks again to anyone reading, any help is appreciated.

Greg
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Does it happen when you are slipping the clutch as you are letting the pedal up? If so, it's called clutch chatter. If it was ok before and just started, your clutch disk could be going out or you might have oil on the disk or it could be burnt. Lastly, don't lower yourself and other Vette owners by racing a Jetta.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

But that should buff right out.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Last night I checked the clutch fluid. It was level with the 'Add' line. I added oil and drove the Vette to the office this morning. I didn't notice any change. Wait, I take that back. If I'm very gentle with the clutch it seems I don't feel any shutter which I think is better. If I'm slightly more aggressive I seem to feel something. It is like the clutch is starting to 'catch'.
Greg
You mention adding BUT then mention OIL - what did you use for fluid? You don't recall ever checking it previously? How long/many miles have you owned it?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
gresmi
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
Does it happen when you are slipping the clutch as you are letting the pedal up? If so, it's called clutch chatter. If it was ok before and just started, your clutch disk could be going out or you might have oil on the disk or it could be burnt. Lastly, don't lower yourself and other Vette owners by racing a Jetta.
Yes, it happens when letting out the clutch. I suspect the disk but wasn't sure.

Yeah, the Jetta race. Well, I had two options...beat him to the on ramp or let him win. I wasn't about to let him win.

Thanks for the feedback,

Greg
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM
gresmi
Advanced

You mention adding BUT then mention OIL - what did you use for fluid? You don't recall ever checking it previously? How long/many miles have you owned it?
Sorry, wasn't oil...it was DOT3 brake fluid.

No, I have never checked it. I have owned the car for almost a year and haven't driven it a lot. The car was pretty rough when I bought it and I've been working on it. I have put approximately 4,000 miles on the car. I never checked it...just didn't think about it.

Greg
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM
383vett
Race Director

Yes, it happens when letting out the clutch. I suspect the disk but wasn't sure.

Yeah, the Jetta race. Well, I had two options...beat him to the on ramp or let him win. I wasn't about to let him win.

Thanks for the feedback,

Greg
Has the clutch always chattered? Ok, you get a break for racing the Jetta. Next time pick on a Mustang.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
gresmi
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
Has the clutch always chattered? Ok, you get a break for racing the Jetta. Next time pick on a Mustang.
No, I don't remember feeling/hearing anything before...say a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not expecting to be a hero for racing the Jetta but my instinct kicked it when I saw the little bastard's front end of the car lift up...I had to go.

Greg
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You topped off the fluid and have driven it how many miles? A good many shifts? Has the drive-ability seemed to have improved? How much fluid from add to full?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
383vett
Race Director

No, I don't remember feeling/hearing anything before...say a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not expecting to be a hero for racing the Jetta but my instinct kicked it when I saw the little bastard's front end of the car lift up...I had to go.

Greg
Most importantly, you won.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM
gresmi
Advanced

You topped off the fluid and have driven it how many miles? A good many shifts? Has the drive-ability seemed to have improved? How much fluid from add to full?
I haven't driven it much since adding...maybe 50 miles. It did seem to make a slight difference but it's hard to say.

It was at the 'ADD' line when I added fluid.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
VettoVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 4+3, but when i rev it above 2k rpms and let out the clutch it doesnt happen but i rocket off the line like no ones buisness which isnt fun. I just had the clutch replaced too.

following this thread

Get notified of new replies

To Slight shutter/vibration during take-off ('95-5spd)

Quick Reply: Slight shutter/vibration during take-off ('95-5spd)