Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Symptoms of New Catalytic Converter or other problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM
twentyeggs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of New Catalytic Converter or other problem?

I just got two new high flow catalytic converters put on my 94 and now it is belting smoke when idling and smells terrible, like burning dust/metal/oil. I know there is a break in period for new cats and there is going to be a burning smell but smoke enough to fill my whole cabin? I had no problems before that, and I hit 6-8 miles on the freeway to see if it was just a new cat smell but it didn't help very much, there was still smoke maybe just a little less after the drive. i am just wondering if this is a normal issue and if it is how long its going to last. If not, could it be an exhaust leak? it doesn't smell like one and it certainly shouldn't have white smoke. This problem happened literally the second i drove away from the shop with the new cats. I spent about 30 min in the car since the shop and my lungs hurt exactly like i've been racing at the raceway all evening.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 11-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put new cats on my towncar and they did the same thing. If thats all the shop did, they drive on ! check you fluid levels if your a little worried but i'd say your all set

Quick Reply: Symptoms of New Catalytic Converter or other problem?