C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Corvette upgrade idea's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
1987_Vette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Corvette upgrade idea's

My mother is the original owner of a 1987 corvette that has been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years she said it's basically mine to work on. I would like to learn something from this experience and hopefully end with a functional car. The car has 62,000 Miles on it. I have a very a limited budget but I do have a source of income and I am willing to save up for something big. Tools are not an issue. Also, the fuel injection system scares me a bit, I have never worked with one before and would need a bit of direction. The car is in pretty good shape it does have flat spots in all four brand new tires but I don't see why that would be a huge issue. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I also have access to all four types of welding equipment (Tig, Mig, Arc/Stic, and Oxygen Acetylene torches) and the skills required to use them.

Thanks a lot,
Jon

Last edited by 1987_Vette; 12-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-bolt-ons.html
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to tell you this...BUT 10 year old tires are not safe ...and are a major problem waiting to happen and hopefully not at highway speeds......

Replace them BEFORE you do any driving except for a few low speed trips around the block..

Bob G.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you touch the first wrench put your hands on some books. First one should be "Corvette Fuel Injection and Engine Management" by Probst. Learn what you have before you break something. Reread what bob said about tires. The ones you have are time bombs.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, is the car running? After sitting for 10 years, all the fluids need to be changed, and check for leakage from seals that have dried out. The fuel system should also be flushed. As was previously stated, 10 year old tires are accidents waiting to occur.

Get the basics taken care of before starting mods and upgrades.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you plan on doing your own wrenching, you should invest in the FSMs for the 87..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

With a car like that, take your time. Get it right before you start any mods you may regret later. It's a low mileage original car that is 26 years old. Collectibility is on the horizon. Don't believe me? Look at the reproduction parts available for this car. The Vette vendors are betting big dollars on it.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM
c4_4ya
Pro

Originally Posted by ccrazor
If you plan on doing your own wrenching, you should invest in the FSMs for the 87..
X 1000! Even if a new one is $100 it will save you that much $ so many times over.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

buy a big hammer , and every time you start to work on it without doing a little research...hit yourself with it
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What he said!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 PM
1987_Vette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe I posted this three years ago. I was 16 at the time and knew even less than I do now, which is really alarming to say the least. Some of you may be relieved to hear that I never laid hands on the car other than changing a few lightbulbs/fuse and pulling it out of the garage for an occasional wash. My family still owns the car and it does run and drive. I have been pretty good about taking it around the neighborhood every once in awhile and making sure it doesn't rot away. However, I can now afford to insure myself on the car and would like to start driving it a bit on the weekends. Don't worry though! I got a little older and a little smarter and ill make sure to go through everything before I hit the road. The car needs a new water pump and a little love. Fortunately, my dad is great with keeping service records so I know exactly what was done and when. The car hasn't really been daily driven or anything since the early 2000's but every few years my mom would apparently fall in love with the car again and make him take it to the dealership to get the once over. So at least the oil's been changed a few times.

Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say best regards,

-Jon
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Be sure to buy a Field Service Manual (FSM) as was stated above. You can find them along with the companion electrical service manual on eBay.
I have owned an 87 and here are the common problems with them (that I can remember): Headlight gear buttons that wear out and turn to dust, worn and leaking fuel injectors, hardened fuel rail O rings that can leak and cause a fire, hardened rubber brake lines (replace with new and flush the system), leaking valve cover gaskets, leaking and hardened intake and exhaust valve stem seals, leaking intake manifold gasketls, worn out power brake booster, clogged pre-cats, clogged main cat, leaking transmission pan gasket, clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel pump strainer sock, failing fuel pump, spare tire gone flat and/or deteriorated as to be unsafe for use, missing jack/wrench and the key to the locking lug nuts, deteriorated weather stripping.
Your free Corvette is not free.
Here is some good info:http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm
Some more:http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/
And finally: www.vette2vette.com and www.corvettecentral.com
Read the stickys at the top of the C4 Tech section too!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM
John E
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Be sure to buy a Field Service Manual (FSM) as was stated above. You can find them along with the companion electrical service manual on eBay.
I have owned an 87 and here are the common problems with them (that I can remember): Headlight gear buttons that wear out and turn to dust, worn and leaking fuel injectors, hardened fuel rail O rings that can leak and cause a fire, hardened rubber brake lines (replace with new and flush the system), leaking valve cover gaskets, leaking and hardened intake and exhaust valve stem seals, leaking intake manifold gasketls, worn out power brake booster, clogged pre-cats, clogged main cat, leaking transmission pan gasket, clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel pump strainer sock, failing fuel pump, spare tire gone flat and/or deteriorated as to be unsafe for use, missing jack/wrench and the key to the locking lug nuts, deteriorated weather stripping.
Your free Corvette is not free.
Here is some good info:http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm
Some more:http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/
And finally: www.vette2vette.com and www.corvettecentral.com
Read the stickys at the top of the C4 Tech section too!

Thank you Ron.
Saved as a word doc under "watch and inspect items"!

Last edited by John E; 04-28-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Corvette upgrade idea's

Quick Reply: 1987 Corvette upgrade idea's