C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Rocketvette89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Rebuild

I am looking for a quality engine rebuilder in the Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach County area. Would appreciate any help I can get.

Rocky
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I see your request is going begging?

For what it is worth, you can do most of the dissassembly and reassembly yourself, and farm out whatever testing (e.g., for cracks in the block and heads), machine work the block and heads, crank, rods, etc., etc. may need.

I've rebuilt dozens of SBCs and I can tell you they are really not all that bad IF you have a good DIY guide book such as, "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy" or "How to Hotrod Your Small Block Chevy" (and the like) available from your local parts strores. Or, perhaps the mother of books is the Factory Service Manual (which every Vette owner should have anyway, IMO)

AND, doing it yourself gives you an opportunity to upgrade various parts in order to wind up with a nice performance boost as well!

You'll need an engine stand (Harbor Freight), gaskets, and basic tools and a torque wrench and maybe a DEGREEE WHEEL; nothing too fancy at all! And, when you're done, you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself, you'll learn a whole lot, and it will be fun! You can say, "I did that!"

Now, as for a good shop, you can look on line for a shop in your area, and check with the BBB too. Ask for references (did I mention references???)

Just a thought.

Good luck.

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-16-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild