Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
What happened?

Sorry to hear about this loss
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

wonder if c4's are prone to fires than any other generation?

sorry dude that sucks
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope your Insurance works out well.
Ive seen some car fires on some new cars and not just Vettes.
Where you working on it recently?
Did Mice get in and chew up some wires?

Good News is there's allot of C4's out there.
Bad news if your emotional attached to that particular one.
Good Luck Man.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM
WGlen C4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss!

The firemen with the axe made my stomach turn. Hope everything works out ok for you.

I worry about this all the time, just don't know how to avoid it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Damn that sucks. Sorry, man
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM
ssdan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, bummer, sorry about your Car Man.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM
mikeremax
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your loss
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Hephaestus
Instructor

OMG! That's horrible. I would have had a heart attack right then and there...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow that really sucks! Sorry for your loss!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
wonder if c4's are prone to fires than any other generation?

sorry dude that sucks
C4's are not prone to fires. In my line of work I can say every car has the risk of fire. This is a C4 Corvette forum, so the only fires anyone writes about here is a C4 Corvette fire leading all to think they're prone to it. As ANY car gets older, the wires can become brittle or rodents chew on them leading to a fire risk. I'd think that most of us look under our hoods enough that we notice bad or damaged wires and parts before they become a serious problem. I would say our C4's are at risk no more than any other 20 year old car.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow that really stinks. So sorry for you rloss.

I too as a Fireman see a lot of vehicle fires, just recently we had a brand new Land Rover, 2013, with 200 miles on it go up!! It happens, this one was electrical )Land Rover) short under the hood.

Sorry, but I have seen all sorts of strange ones.
Good luck with insurance, let us know how you make out.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

any updates man?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
pologreenenvy
Instructor

the adjuster came out and looked at it tuesday, havent heard anything yet.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM
kerrynewman
Racer

NO WAY they serve breakfast at Western Sizzlin?

Hey I feel your pain, see my 86 below, she went up last month. Fully insured by State Farm (but not on an agreed value policy). They came through with $7,200....good luck with yours!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
pologreenenvy
Instructor

Default update

the insurance came threw with no problems, i will be recieving the check in the next few days my insurance is hagerty and i had it insured for $12,000.00, the best part out of all of this mess with my poor corvette burning is that i got to buy it back for salvage value. i want you folks to be sitting down when i tell you how much the salvage value was. i had to ask her to repeat the price of the salvage twice, when she said the salvage value was...............$175.00 i almost fell out of my chair, yes $175.00. i told her sure ill buy it back. i have another 88 found to replace this one with it is an automatic car, i will be putting my tremic 5 speed in it, kiesler engineering has the few parts that i need to complete the conversion. thanks for everones support.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreenenvy
the insurance came threw with no problems, i will be recieving the check in the next few days my insurance is hagerty and i had it insured for $12,000.00, the best part out of all of this mess with my poor corvette burning is that i got to buy it back for salvage value. i want you folks to be sitting down when i tell you how much the salvage value was. i had to ask her to repeat the price of the salvage twice, when she said the salvage value was...............$175.00 i almost fell out of my chair, yes $175.00. i told her sure ill buy it back. i have another 88 found to replace this one with it is an automatic car, i will be putting my tremic 5 speed in it, kiesler engineering has the few parts that i need to complete the conversion. thanks for everones support.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Great news mate. Every cloud has a silver lining and main thing is no one was hurt and you were OK.

I was just watching something on cars catching on fire. They did an experiment where they poured petrol (gas) onto the exhaust manifolds whilst the engine was running and nothing happened. Then they tipped brake fluid on the manifold and it instantly lite up. Gas by itself is relatively harmless unless it gets in contact with a spark (dodgy wiring).

Just maybe we should look if the reservoir, cap and booster is leaking fluid. Not saying that is what caused your fire but just food for thought.

Get notified of new replies

To my 88 up in flames today

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, excellent news.

Hey, for $175, at the very least, part it out and keep the bumpers as living room decoration!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Great news mate. Every cloud has a silver lining and main thing is no one was hurt and you were OK.

I was just watching something on cars catching on fire. They did an experiment where they poured petrol (gas) onto the exhaust manifolds whilst the engine was running and nothing happened. Then they tipped brake fluid on the manifold and it instantly lite up. Gas by itself is relatively harmless unless it gets in contact with a spark (dodgy wiring).

Just maybe we should look if the reservoir, cap and booster is leaking fluid. Not saying that is what caused your fire but just food for thought.
Did anyone realize that windsheild washer fluid is flammable? I've seen a few car fires over the years that started when w.w.fluid was added while the car was running. Most were totaled. Glad this story turned out OK and no one was injured.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, sorry for the loss....This is the second post for a c4 burning in the past month!! Looks like I'm going to purchase a fire extinguisher to carry if I ever get this head gasket job done!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my 88 up in flames today