C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dash Coming Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dash Coming Up

Hi everyone and a Happy New Year. I was washing my 96 coupe and noticed that the dash lip at the bottom of the windshield was bending upwards. It looks like the sun had warped it and the lip had curled up. I posted awhile back about this and maybe i didn't explain it correctly then. The replies told me to push the dash into the clip but the dash is still secured to.the clips. It's just the lip of the dash. It actually doesn't look bad because the bent lip is uniform across the dash. You can only tell if you look closely from the outside. I don't know if it is fixable or if it's too much trouble, i"ll just leave it alone. I don't want to have to take off the front windshield either. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM
merlot566jka
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is doing the same. I have seen others who have removed and glued the entire dash back down.
As far as I know, there isnt a replacement dash pad.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it cost too much to fix or too much labor, i'm just going to leave it alone. The lift is pretty uniform across the lip and you can't tell it's curled from the inside. You have to look closely at the bottom of the window from the outside to notice it. I wonder how many have had this problem. I just hope that it won't get worse. I live in San Francisco so the weather is pretty mild. I got the car from Southern California where the sun is hotter.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year. I was washing my 96 coupe and noticed that the dash lip at the bottom of the windshield was bending upwards. It looks like the sun had warped it and the lip had curled up. I posted awhile back about this and maybe i didn't explain it correctly then. The replies told me to push the dash into the clip but the dash is still secured to.the clips. It's just the lip of the dash. It actually doesn't look bad because the bent lip is uniform across the dash. You can only tell if you look closely from the outside. I don't know if it is fixable or if it's too much trouble, i"ll just leave it alone. I don't want to have to take off the front windshield either. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Most, if not all, will do this if they're driven and exposed to the sun...My '94 was just starting to show it, my '96 (that came out of North Texas) is starting to curl all across the front. The later C4s I have helped judge all seem to have this problem .

Until it gets to the point where it blocks your vision, don't worry about it...we're cool.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by merlot566jka
mine is doing the same. I have seen others who have removed and glued the entire dash back down.
As far as I know, there isnt a replacement dash pad.
If you want to spend $400.00-$500.00 there are plenty of companys making new dash pads for the C4...WW
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

My '94 did it. There was a section on the passenger side about 4" long that was lifting up along the windshield.

I caught a rock and it broke the windshield. While it was being replaced I lifted the bad section of the dash a little bit and squeezed in super glue all along the bad section. Then I held it down flat for about 10 minutes or so. It stayed down and looked normal after that for at least a year until I sold the car.

I don't know if you could find a way to insert/inject/etc the glue with the windshield in place, but if you can it is an easy fix.

Good Luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 01-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
If you want to spend $400.00-$500.00 there are plenty of companys making new dash pads for the C4...WW
Got a link for company(s) making new, late C4 upper dash pads? Corvette America only shows early C4s.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Analog Kid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 95 model had the same problem and I fixed it using a two part epoxy made for plastic. I think it was Permatex 5 minute plastic weld, but any reputable plastic 2 part epoxy should work.
I did remove the dash and removed some of the crumbling foam from inside the dash where I needed the epoxy to stick. Then before I mixed the epoxy I made sure to have plenty of spring clamps and popsicle sticks on hand to distribute the pressure and to apply it with.
The 5 minute epoxy dries pretty fast (in 5 minutes!) so only mix up a medium sized batch to do maybe 12 inches at a time. Dribble or spread it in there and clamp it and wait 24 hours for good measure.
My repair has held for 3 years now and looks brand new. It worked so well I did my daily driver car with the same method a few months ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Coming Up

Quick Reply: Dash Coming Up