Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New 1987 Corvette Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Stephenms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey! Thanks for the heads up! I really do appreciate it!

Update on the car! We found out it was the alternator. The battery kept a charge when we jumped it, we go it tested, and it was perfect. The only other explanation is the alternator. We tested it with an advanced multimeter and it read at 12.4 to 11.9 with lights on and A/C blowin. I ordered a new alternator and will be installing it tomorrow. Any tips on how to? Or is it like any other Chevy TPI engine?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Stephenms
Hey! Thanks for the heads up! I really do appreciate it!

Update on the car! We found out it was the alternator. The battery kept a charge when we jumped it, we go it tested, and it was perfect. The only other explanation is the alternator. We tested it with an advanced multimeter and it read at 12.4 to 11.9 with lights on and A/C blowin. I ordered a new alternator and will be installing it tomorrow. Any tips on how to? Or is it like any other Chevy TPI engine?
Pretty simple. Diconnect the battery, remove the belt using the belt tensioner, disconnect the alternator wiring and unbolt it.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Stephenms
Racer

That's what I want to hear! Easy and simple

I read that these Vettes take 91 Octane, which is completely fine. I prefer the higher octane fuel anyways. I was wondering if there is a difference between 91 and 93 Octane fuels? Or will 93 be bad for the engine? Most of the gas stations around here carry 93 but not 91.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM
ChevReligion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 91 non-ethenol in mine. If you have to use E-10 or (good God, here it comes) E-15 I would strongly recomend regular use of K-100 ethenol treatment if the fuel stays in the tank for any length of time. This is the only additive that will address the phase separation that the ethenol causes. Ethenol raises hell with fuel system components on our older cars. When I store it for the winter I make sure I have a full tank of gas and add a full bottle of K-100. 8oz treats 20 gal.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell if im just comnuting in my '93 without any kind of performance driving I use 87 octane with no issues at all. The car likes it too, no pinging. I did the same with my old '86 vette too.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Stephenms
Racer

So 87 octane would be just fine? I don't plan on driving recklessly. Just from home to work for a while. Or should. I just stick with 91/93? Plus 87/89 is a lot cheaper!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Stephen: 87's are the best hey welcome to a world with people being jealous for the Alu.heads, under dimensioned brakes, worlds worst p-brake setup, slow performance, but most fascinating: people still turn their heads! car is looking very clean!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
ChevReligion
Intermediate

Here in upstate New York we get what is known as "Tier 2 gasoline". It's garbage. Head down to PA and beyond or to the east and just about any car will run much better. So yeah, I can believe that your car will run well if the gas is 87 octane and Tier 1. My 07 Impala gets about 24-25 MPG highway average, if I get gas in Mass or Conn the mileage jumps immediatly to 28-30 MPG average. A trip to DC last year proved likewise.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Stephenms
Racer

Wow! Good to know. I just filled up with the 87 octane crap. It drinks it quiet well! I was running on a very very VERY empty tank when I filled up.

But I noticed after driving around for a bit today the temperature got up to around 225. I was driving around for only 20 minutes. When I shut the car off it started to make kind of a gurgle or boiling sound coming from the under the hood. It happens about a minute and a half after the car was shut off. Is this normal? Or is the car over heating?

I want to put newer bulbs in the digital dash and possibly replace the glass. Is there a site that can guide me on where to get the right parts and how to do this?

I am currently trying to transfer my speakers from the Camaro to the Vette but I noticed I will need a speaker harness or something of the sorts, to keep the speaker in place. Where could I get one of those, cheaply? I was also wondering how many speakers the Bose speaker system has. Is it front(dashboard), kick panels, then rear storage? And is there also a little subwoofer somewhere?

Also, my rear third brake light (the one on the roof) went out. I undid the bolts right underneath the light housing but it didn't budge. Do I have to take the entire back glass off to replace them? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Stephenms; 01-14-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Stephenms
Racer

Sorry about this but, bump.

My dad and I qualified to have this Vette in the Competition Stock division for judging. We just need to replace a few things and it's good to go!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Philsphan
Racer

Congrats on the vette Stephen. Ur story sounds very similar to mine except my old man sold his 91 z28 when I was 12 . Btw nuckin futz I still have no idea how to get of my 88 on here lol. Could I email you some too? Lol
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Stephen, you need to invest in a FSM or Factory Service Manual for the 87', period. Your 87' is not unusual in all the starting problems. These are common problems for this year. My third-ex-wife (sheesh...) had an 87' and we replaced the entire starting system. I mean ignition switch, ignition keys, VATS module, starter, battery, starter cable and cleaned all the grounds carefully and it would STILL not start sometimes!

If you use the 'Search This Forum' feature, you will find a ton of helpful threads on this. You should also plan on replacing the injectors as well, because her car had the crappy multecs and they really suck, as far as performance goes. Jon at FIC (look it up in the search feature) has sold many of us, rebuilt to better-than-OEM injectors that will make your 87' run like night and day!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Jbws86928
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Don't forget to wave!

Congrats and please wave
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Stephenms
Racer

I purchased a full 1987 Corvette service manual! I'm currently reading it from front to back!

I am purchasing ANOTHER alternator. This one turned out out be refurbished and is not working correctly. It does not charge the battery very well. I've needed a jump every day to get home and I noticed my headlights and interior lights increase in brightness under acceleration, that is usually a regulator issue.

I just purchased new Corvette mats, new rear plastic panel, new leather shifter "net", and a few other things!

I have a question about the cigarette lighter/power outlet. The power outlet side of it does not seem to be working. I plugged in a car charger for my iPhone but it would not charge. I tried two different chargers but nothing would happen. Yet my dad says he used the GPS with the car car charger and it worked fine. The phone chargers had female USB ports on the end to connect the iPhone cable.

I am stumped on the speakers though. I was looking at new PolkAudio speakers on Crutchfield but I read that if I replace one speaker in the system, I have to replace everything relating to the Bose system. Is this true? Or is this just a scam by Crutchfield to force me to buy unnecessary products? Don't get me wrong, I'd love new/slightly used corvette Bose speakers, they're amazing! But they are very expensive. I'd also like a subwoofer somewhere in the Vette. Nothing too big but is it possible to fit a 12 inch Kicker subwoofer? I have a Targa glass roof and thats my only concern. I have 2 12 inch subwoofers sitting in my room, 4 speakers that won't fit, all from the Camaro.

Last edited by Stephenms; 01-28-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem mixing Bose and after market speakers is that the Bose stereo system in your vette is non amplified, so that is why there are amplifiers on each Bose speaker. If it were me I would have one or the other, not a mix! I have seen people run after market stereo and bypass the amplifiers and use the Bose speakers. I chose to replace everything with Alpine.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 206 Posts

Please do yourself a big favor. Pull the battery out and carefully inspect the terminal block behind the battery where all the hot feeds connect. It is a plastic/Bakelite terminal block with a threaded center post where the feeds meet. Mine had loose/corroded feeds and a bad post. I experienced the same symptoms you did. Fluctuating battery voltage, lights dimming (especially when I stepped on the brake). My terminal block had melted spots from arcing and I am sure that a fire was in my future. I replaced it and that solved my "alternator" issue (hey, at least I have a spare on my shelf now).
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Stephenms
Racer

Originally Posted by DinoBob
It is a plastic/Bakelite terminal block with a threaded center post where the feeds meet. now).
Is that where there are a bunch of little wire ends all bundled together on one little bolt/metal post? I thought those were all ground wires? But i'll be sure to check tomorrow morning. I have looked at it before and it looks fine from what I see. Unless i'm looking at the wrong thing.

Get notified of new replies

To New 1987 Corvette Owner!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your white red combo the car looks nice
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckinFutz93

Pics from Stephen
Wow.. Those seats look mint!
You came to the right place, there's allot of good info here.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It might be good idea, to join local Corvette Club to get all you questions answered and even have good time driving your car.

Here is link to local club in your area.

http://www.skywaycorvetteclub.com

Quick Reply: New 1987 Corvette Owner!