C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Service manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Service manual

Hello everyone, new (to me) 1995 LT1 Torch Red owner. Had the car about a month now, been digging through the threads here to help me with some of the repairs and mods I have already done, seat covers, carpet, weatherstrip replacement, window rattle guides, and more. This site has really helped me with all these jobs. Now I want to go under the hood. Been looking at shop/service manuals. On ebay there are the factory 2 volume service manuals(the red ones). Is that what I want, or is there a more detailed service manual that would be better. I see where some have suggested the Helm manuals, big differences in price.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

The two volume red Factory Service Manual is what you want. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. I have a set and they are great.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Check the for sale section here or fleabay.. Sometimes a Google search works fairly well.. You want the factory service manual, not the Haynes or....
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing wrong with using a Helms or Hayes in fact sometimes I use my Haynes because it's fast and easy. I do highly recommend having the FSM because it covers a great deal more than the others, I've used mine a lot over the years. The FSM is well worth the money.

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum Mike and congrats on your good looking 95

Last edited by mrmtrtrnd; 02-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car. You've already spent a small fortune on the interior (stuff I hope to do one day). You should be able to pick up the FSM for your car for $50-$100. I've also seen pre-year manuals. This is a single volume with a white cover. They have mixed reviews, so I shied away and got the 2-volume set.

Last edited by csthews; 02-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, FYI you can get the FSM in digital form from fleabay as well. It comes on a CD and is a lot less than the paper copy.

Adv. is that you can print what you want and also put a copy on a laptop. I carry my manual on my computer pretty much everywhere I go in case I have a problem and need to look something up. The laptop is a LOT less weight than two manuals.

Disadv. is that you have to print what you need and you cannot easily thumb through sections and bookmark interesting sections to come back to.

Welcome to the Forum and don't forget to wave!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Back in the day you could order the FSM directly from the publisher. Good news is now the FSM shows up in the CF for sale secton. I couldn't get by without my 2 volume RED cover 1995 FSM. I like the paper copy over computer version due to its easy to see what I need in my normally used sectons due to years of highlighting and marked pages.

If I was starting out I'd post a wanted post in the for sale forum.

Welcome to CF.

Mike
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Check the for sale section here
You want the factory service manual
28th Jan
$75
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...2-75-00-a.html
Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Loopidoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking and looking for the red set myself, since november 2012. When I find one it's sold. lol my luck. I just purchased the white pre-release today for 50$. I am sure it will be helpfull, and if any questins all you have to do ask here. CF is the best place for info.. I am so glad I found corvetteforum.com, I have been around cars my whole life, but there is so much support here it's unreal..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone, ordered the 2 book red manuals. Can't wait to dig in.

Get notified of new replies

To Service manual

Quick Reply: Service manual