Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 corvette related: beware of Ohio DUI checkpoints and no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default c4 corvette related: beware of Ohio DUI checkpoints and no front license plate

I thought about this because of the guy in australia's recent post about a run-in for an *improperly (roll-eyes)* displayed front plate.

I wanted to post this here because I see many c4's in ohio without front license plates.

While most ohio cops will look the other way if you dont have a front plate, there is one exception: DUI checkpoints.

Cops will use this as an excuse to automatically pull you over and give you a ticket for no front plate.

I know this because I read in the paper last summer about a DUI checkpoint in columbus in the hilliard (West side) area and it mentioned the statistics on citations at the checkpoint. I dont think they caught any drunks, but It had several citations for a 'registration violation' due to no front license plate.

So be aware of this!

Its reasons like this I, regretfully, put my front plate back on.

Im not out driving drunk, but dont want to be hassled with a ticket for no front plate.

There has been a slow push to get rid of the front plate in ohio. Might help to write to your rep about your feelings on getting rid of the front plate - like all neighboring states around ohio.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

If the state law calls for a front plate, and if you get caught without one, the
LEO has the right to give you a warning, an infraction, or a fix ticket.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i actually had one of my idiot friends get stopped in NE ohio for no front plate. the cop told him about the infraction and he was going to give him a warning ticket. my friend said, "you can give me all the warnings you want, i'm not going to put a front plate on my car (corvette)." at that point, it went from a warning to a full blown ticket. don't remember the costs, but i'm thinking it was around $100. as i said, one of my idiot friends.

i ran plates on my corvettes "on and off" in the 25 years i drove corvettes in ohio - never did get stopped. maybe i was just lucky. the one time i was stopped in my 85 by a state LEO, and he nailed me for no seat belt - never said anything about no front plate. as a matter of fact, the chief of police in my small home town had a 93 anniversary coupe, and he didn't run a front plate now that i'm in florida, don't have that issue anymore!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
i actually had one of my idiot friends get stopped in NE ohio for no front plate. the cop told him about the infraction and he was going to give him a warning ticket. my friend said, "you can give me all the warnings you want, i'm not going to put a front plate on my car (corvette)." at that point, it went from a warning to a full blown ticket. don't remember the costs, but i'm thinking it was around $100. as i said, one of my idiot friends.

i ran plates on my corvettes "on and off" in the 25 years i drove corvettes in ohio - never did get stopped. maybe i was just lucky. the one time i was stopped in my 85 by a state LEO, and he nailed me for no seat belt - never said anything about no front plate. as a matter of fact, the chief of police in my small home town had a 93 anniversary coupe, and he didn't run a front plate now that i'm in florida, don't have that issue anymore!
You're right, your friend is definitely lacking upstairs.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by PLRX
If the state law calls for a front plate, and if you get caught without one, the
LEO has the right to give you a warning, an infraction, or a fix ticket.
Yeah, it sucks. The point I'm trying to make is that most cops won't pull you over for just that. But go thru a dui checkpoint and it becomes the flipside. Most cops will pull you over (wave you in for futher inspection) if you don't have the front plate and issue a ticket to justify the stop

Considering registering my cars at my 2nd home in florida. Florida can get my registration dollars vs. Ohio.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe C

We have a cop in my hometown who has a 95 c4. I noticed he too, doesn't have a front plate
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

A few years back I got a speeding ticket, but not running the front plate didn't seem to bother him and no ticket for that.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
ChevReligion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a front plate on my 84 and I don't plan on putting one on. I do carry it and if I see trouble ahead I put it up on the dash. But here's a funny story from years ago. In the early 70's I had a very sharp 71 Camaro (Placer Gold w/a black vinyl top).Looked nice and clean with no front plate and bracket. One night my wife and I had left a Burger King and she wanted to look in a dress shop window in an adjacent shopping ctr,which was closed. I slowly drove past the window and she wanted to go by again so I obliged. At that point a village cop drove by and wanted to know what we were up to. I told him she wanted to look in the window, then he asked where my front plate was. I told him it got ripped off in a car wash and it was in the trunk and I was waiting for a new bracket. Some months later we stopped at a local restaurant and parked in front, right under a marquee with chaser lights. That Camaro turned every head in the place, including you-know-who's. We sat down, and when he was done he went out and looked at the front of the car and waited. And waited. And I just kept ordering yet another cup of coffee. And I won. He finally got in his car and drove off. But when he got in his car he did kinda slam his door a might hard. Ya know, I think he was pissed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by kimmer
A few years back I got a speeding ticket, but not running the front plate didn't seem to bother him and no ticket for that.
Yeah it depends on the cop.

In 04 I got caught by osp aircraft at 95 mph in my old bmw. I got waved over, a ticket for speed, and verbal warning for no front plate.

Also in 04, I got caught doing 36 in a 25 and the ticket for that cost me more than when I was doing 95 in a 65
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I got my no plate stop I've had it on the front and got used to it. Doesn't bother me at all - and amazingly, the no-front-plate paranoia just disappeared. I do not want to have to remove my tint because I got stopped for no front plate
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChevReligion
I don't have a front plate on my 84 and I don't plan on putting one on. I do carry it and if I see trouble ahead I put it up on the dash. But here's a funny story from years ago. In the early 70's I had a very sharp 71 Camaro (Placer Gold w/a black vinyl top).Looked nice and clean with no front plate and bracket. One night my wife and I had left a Burger King and she wanted to look in a dress shop window in an adjacent shopping ctr,which was closed. I slowly drove past the window and she wanted to go by again so I obliged. At that point a village cop drove by and wanted to know what we were up to. I told him she wanted to look in the window, then he asked where my front plate was. I told him it got ripped off in a car wash and it was in the trunk and I was waiting for a new bracket. Some months later we stopped at a local restaurant and parked in front, right under a marquee with chaser lights. That Camaro turned every head in the place, including you-know-who's. We sat down, and when he was done he went out and looked at the front of the car and waited. And waited. And I just kept ordering yet another cup of coffee. And I won. He finally got in his car and drove off. But when he got in his car he did kinda slam his door a might hard. Ya know, I think he was pissed.
We have a speed trap town called brady lake, ohio. Cops (except the chief)are all volunteer (gaining a commission/ police experience) and are all na$zi like in their handling of the laws.

There is a bowling alley in this town.

High school friends/ drunk/ stoned drove thru the town and noticed brady lake cop pulled out after them. He was following them, prob waiting for plate info to be returnd before lighting them up.

Before he got the info, they abruptly (w/o blinker) pulled into the bowling alley and all ran into the bowling alley. Btw the entrance to the bowling alley is right next to the road so this whole thing happened fast,

Well...me and my bddies (we don't do drugs) were inside bowling and these guys kept having us go outside to look and see if the cop was still there.

2 hours later, he was still there waiting for them to leave the place.....If I remember right they had his car hooked and towed it away (prob. drug paraphrenalia in the car).

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
I've got a handful of those, and not a few years back.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 363 Likes on 206 Posts

I have always lived in a state where the front plate is required. It never bothered me at all, and as a matter of fact I support it. If there is an incident and you only ever see the front of the car, it can help bring someone to justice. I know from personal experience twice over. If the car had no spot for the plate I would understand the irritation, but they integrated it nicely.

The headlights do not look so cool in the up position, should I refrain fron night driving? :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
mchenpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Laughing a little to myself for two reasons; 1) I am sure the police officers not running front plates are not at all worried about getting pulled over at DUI checkpoints, and 2) this suggests that all our neighbors (States) get pulled over at every DUI checkpoint in Ohio.

I have to admit I have mine on to avoid the trouble but it looks like crap.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Semi, Tractor trailer driver here. OHIO hs a really bad name with truckers..DOT/Ohio loves truckers. Sitting in a rest area, they may light you up.Thank goodness they just raised the speed limit for big trucks ...was 55 till perhaps a year ago. I myself was pulled over for bad headlight, during the day. I understand that..It was working at my Pre-inspection, shrug, I agree all lights need to work on those rigs. While he had me pulled over, he ask about my passenger side bumber,,which the cover was missing..got a "repair" ticket for that (and headlight of course). DOT (state trooper) said I needed to have the bimber cover on cause " A car could roll under it in an accident". I didnt bother telling the fool that its a thin plastic piece that breaks even if you hit a large dog.It has a large steel backing plate, but the plastic is fragile.
"
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
jecht
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
We have a speed trap town called brady lake, ohio. Cops (except the chief)are all volunteer (gaining a commission/ police experience) and are all na$zi like in their handling of the laws.

There is a bowling alley in this town.

High school friends/ drunk/ stoned drove thru the town and noticed brady lake cop pulled out after them. He was following them, prob waiting for plate info to be returnd before lighting them up.

Before he got the info, they abruptly (w/o blinker) pulled into the bowling alley and all ran into the bowling alley. Btw the entrance to the bowling alley is right next to the road so this whole thing happened fast,

Well...me and my bddies (we don't do drugs) were inside bowling and these guys kept having us go outside to look and see if the cop was still there.

2 hours later, he was still there waiting for them to leave the place.....If I remember right they had his car hooked and towed it away (prob. drug paraphrenalia in the car).
Brady Lake is an interesting place. Lots of back roads, a bunch of reservoirs and it's easy to get lost. Plus OH 14 to the north. There are some roads that curve weird ways and you can find yourself going west to 43 instead of east (think over by the sewer plant).

Bowling alley is full of good memories. I graduated KSU in '06. Nice area. I'm an Ohioan. Go Bucks!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM
jecht
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchenpa
Laughing a little to myself for two reasons; 1) I am sure the police officers not running front plates are not at all worried about getting pulled over at DUI checkpoints, and 2) this suggests that all our neighbors (States) get pulled over at every DUI checkpoint in Ohio.

I have to admit I have mine on to avoid the trouble but it looks like crap.
Cops get perks. Good point on 1. If you're a cop with a car w/o a front plate, you won't get pulled over. It's bad form for a cop in one department to pull another one over. I think they share a common brotherhood <shrug> so they can get away with stuff the public can't. And they have a union to protect them.

That being said, I am in favor of the front plate law b/c it can help bring a perp to justice.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 corvette related: beware of Ohio DUI checkpoints and no front license plate

Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

It was me who was ticketed for an obscured number plate here in Australia
Damaged number plate paint by parking to close to kerbs yes but she is not obscured, what used to be a design rule that it had to be visible from 20 meters away changed in 2006. To include 45 degree angle from sides and above. It was registered here and complied 16 years ago but they since changed the goal posts.... two out of three not good enough but am waiting on the review decision as minor offences can get turned into a warning here saving demerit points .. so here is me fingers crossed :

Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
It was me who was ticketed for an obscured number plate here in Australia
Damaged number plate paint by parking to close to kerbs yes but she is not obscured, what used to be a design rule that it had to be visible from 20 meters away changed in 2006. To include 45 degree angle from sides and above. It was registered here and complied 16 years ago but they since changed the goal posts.... two out of three not good enough but am waiting on the review decision as minor offences can get turned into a warning here saving demerit points .. so here is me fingers crossed :

Before above .... after below complies with 45 deg angle up now but looks fugly... need new plate

Took her for a short drive to shops, installed new big 2 core radiator and new water pump, new radiator hoses on the weekend. Got back to the vette COOLANT aargh the expense of it all... the heater return hose had a split at the waterpump inlet

ever note that old coolant never leaks out but expensive new 50/50 mix always wants out
Ah well was an easy fix anyway. could have had worse luck

Last edited by gerardvg; 02-08-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I have my front plate mounted and put the cover over it. My idea is that if I ever get stopped for no front plate I'll just take off the cover and say I forgot to remove it after the last car show. Do you think it will work??

Quick Reply: c4 corvette related: beware of Ohio DUI checkpoints and no front license plate