C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Fusible Link Question - Fan Relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
chris1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1986 Fusible Link Question - Fan Relay

On my 1986 Convertible 4+3 manual, I used the Factory Service Manual to trace down an inoperative cooling fan, and I've found out the there is no power to the red wire (Terminal "E") going into the fan control relay, so it looks like the fusible link is bad that is supplying power to the relay; I was able to get the fan to run when I installed a temporary fused wire directly from the battery to the red wire going into the relay; my question is what size/rating fusible link do I get to replace it? I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual; also, can I pick one up at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.?

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Manually spin the fan blade and verify the motor doesn't have a lot of resistance which could have caused the fusible link to blow.

If you look at the schematic you need to cut out the blown part of the fusible link and solder in a new piece. In the schematic the Link O is the one you say is blown. If you notice it says its .5 Color of the wire is Orange.

The .5 is the metric wire size. So at the auto part store ask for .5 mm or 20 AWG fusible link wire.

Notice where the arrow points in the schematic is a splice where there is another Red wire that goes to another fusible link. Make sure you don't damage that wire at the splice when you do the repair.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 02-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
chris1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
Manually spin the fan blade and verify the motor doesn't have a lot of resistance which could have caused the fusible link to blow.

If you look at the schematic you need to cut out the blown part of the fusible link and solder in a new piece. In the schematic the Link O is the one you say is blown. If you notice it says its .5 Color of the wire is Orange.

The .5 is the metric wire size. So at the auto part store ask for .5 mm or 20 AWG fusible link wire.

Notice where the arrow points in the schematic is a splice where
there is another fusible link is. Make sure you don't cut that one out
of the circuit.

Fantastic, thanks; yes, I saw where it looks like the are 2 links in series/right next to each other; I need to remove the battery anyway to clean up that area anyway and install a new hold down and bolt since mine are missing; that should give me plenty of room to work in that tight area......
Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Great work on the troubleshooting. Much better than the innumerable "please help!" threads where the first sentence starts "So...." and contains seven "lol".
Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Great work on the troubleshooting. Much better than the innumerable "please help!" threads where the first sentence starts "So...." and contains seven "lol".
You don't like the "my car won't start , what could the problem be " posts?

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Fusible Link Question - Fan Relay

Quick Reply: 1986 Fusible Link Question - Fan Relay