What If Crate 350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What If Crate 350?

hi guys;
been a long winter here. last summer installed new valve cover gaskets and cleaned top of engine.

the heads had a lot of sludge build up. cleaned out what i could with the plan to freshen rest of engine this spring. new gaskets, seals, timing chain and gears and new valve stem seal.

was looking at crate engines and got to wondering if this crate engine would be as good the factory speck thats in there now

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Perf...ines-C556.aspx

want to keep stock intake and all engine controls that are on current motor stock.

looking for reliably and gas milage. i am happy with the performance of stock engine so up grading to a vortec style isn't what i would want.

if i'm not mistaken, to go to a newer one piece main seal engine will require different intake manifold and valve covers

just wondering if crate would be to much more $ by the time i by new gasket kit and timing chain.

would likely install a new cam and lifter also. along with a new water pump and may be oil pump.

any one that wants to arm chair mechanic with me holler. also any one with this basic 350 crate experience would be good to hear form

question is, go with basic crate or freshen old with new bolt in parts. no machine shop within 160 miles so head work and cylinder work would be a game changer and then crate would get the nod.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by garryowen
if i'm not mistaken, to go to a newer one piece main seal engine will require different intake manifold and valve covers.
You need a different flywheel / flexplate to suit 1 pce RMS crank
intake no problem.
Rocker covers vary by style of head fitted independent of block
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by garryowen
want to keep stock intake .
Consider GM # 10067353,
the $1500 260 Hp crate engine with same 2 pce crank and heads as your engine
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=752506

Only the cam is different from the crate engine 290Hp version in your link that is $400 extra

By retaining the stock CFI intake you are not going to see gains from a bigger cam and you state extra perf is not your aim so little point is paying extra.
$1500 for a ready to run ,drop in engine with GM warranty may be closer to the potential rebuild costs on your existing engine?
Pricing may look even better once you factor in travel , nickel and dime stuff ( often not accounted for )
and general stuffing around factors
plus you can get some $$$ back selling your " Corvette " engine to the kid down the road with the 3rd Gen

Last edited by vetteoz; 02-27-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would work

as the one i was looking would have to pay shipping and this one ships free.

i have to think that these would be a good as what i have now. and it has plenty of power for me. the odometer on mine quit at 79000. have to guess it has over 100,000.

think the fresh crate would be better than the tired stocker.

thank for the link. hadn't shopped yet but the free shipping on yours would be a help.

i could put the extra 400 into new hoses and radiator and ect.

looking to get back to factory new as much as i can.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM
89dd
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Consider GM # 10067353,
the $1500 260 Hp crate engine with same 2 pce crank and heads as your engine
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=752506

Only the cam is different from the crate engine 290Hp version in your link that is $400 extra

By retaining the stock CFI intake you are not going to see gains from a bigger cam and you state extra perf is not your aim so little point is paying extra.
$1500 for a ready to run ,drop in engine with GM warranty may be closer to the potential rebuild costs on your existing engine?
Pricing may look even better once you factor in travel , nickel and dime stuff ( often not accounted for )
and general stuffing around factors
plus you can get some $$$ back selling your " Corvette " engine to the kid down the road with the 3rd Gen
For $1500 delivered you can't beat it. I Put this same motor in my camper. The only mods were a Jet Stage 2 Q-jet, edelbrock preformer maniflod,long tube headers, and dual flowmasters. Weighing in a about 8000 lbs, I'm not smoking the tires, but she still preforms well. Dropped in a C4 weighing 3200lbs should preform as welll as the L98
I'm sure it's been done, mabey another member who's done it will reply.Name:  sunset.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  28.8 KB

Get notified of new replies

To What If Crate 350?

Quick Reply: What If Crate 350?