C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

valuation of 85 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valuation of 85 corvette

It's me again with my 85 engine with the blown headers.
I was first thinking of replacing the engine with a crate engine and thought that I should keep the engine block with the matching numbers and rebuild the original block.
Would I devalue my car if I replaced the engine as oppose to repairing the engine..
Would appreciate any comments pertaining to this matter
Thanks in advance
Mike from Salem NH
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by nhlighthouse
It's me again with my 85 engine with the blown headers.
I was first thinking of replacing the engine with a crate engine and thought that I should keep the engine block with the matching numbers and rebuild the original block.
Would I devalue my car if I replaced the engine as oppose to repairing the engine..
Would appreciate any comments pertaining to this matter
Thanks in advance
Mike from Salem NH
Matching numbers is what is all the rage for cars that are collector pieces, so in the long term an 85 vette kept in standard condition with matching engine/chassis numbers will become more valuable as time goes on. The 85 is the first TPI engine C4 and will become more collectable in the future. Exactly when that will be we do not know..

I have kept my old 350 engine block but my 85 no longer looks or drives like an 85... that makes your 85 more collectable as more modify and change their 85 vettes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Unless you purchase something like a new crate engine, most rebuilders will want the old engine as a "core". You usually have to pay a core deposit when you buy a reman motor but it's refunded when the builder gets a rebuildable engine back.

I would suggest that you look at the line of GM crate motors and get one that will work for an '85. Keep the old engine if you can find space for it. Most crate motors come attached to a pallet or some sort of holder and you can use that to store the old engine.

GM crate motors come with something like a 12 month warranty; local engine rebuilders may only offer a 90 day warrant if they use your old motor. A crate motor is all but complete. Just attach the intake and exhaust manifolds, the accessories, and it's all but ready to re-install.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

The original engine may make an original car more collectable and therefore some added value to some people.

Some people will doubt how good a rebuild was done to the original and value the crate motor more.

In my opinion, there is practically no difference in value due to a rebuilt original or a new crate motor.

There is not a very big demand for these cars and they are not bringing much money. In other words keeping it as an investment is not a good plan. It will be a long time if ever that they get a big jump in prices due to being original. (I hope they go up big since I have a 30k mile original '85, but I doubt it. I tested the waters for sale with mine and the only nibbles were low ball offers.)

I would build my own motor so I could select what pieces I want and control the assembly, but others like having a drop in with a warranty, so it really comes down to whichever you prefer.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

"Numbers match" has always been kind of a joke, and unless it is a very rare corvette (427, LT1 etc. or documented survivor) it doesn't seem to matter much anymore. The 85 is basically the same engine as a passenger car or pickup except for the manifolds, so it's probably not worth much more than core.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had an LT4 or an LT5 car, then maybe it would be worth considering. L98? Nah, don't worry about numbers matching.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

As a GM parts manager I agree that GM has some very attractive crate engine options you should at least consider. I own an '85 I purchased last year with the original engine rebuilt to factory specs, and re-painted within the past 5 years. Great car that looks good and runs strong. The PO tried to sell it for two years prior for $8K and could not get it. I picked it up for $5,000, so certainly the collectible value isn't there. But many potential future buyers may be interested in the original engine, keep it, and if you ever sell you can offer it along with whatever you installed in its place.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

You won't live long enough for it to make a difference in "value" on a 1985 Corvette. Buy whatever engine you want.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
You won't live long enough for it to make a difference in "value" on a 1985 Corvette. Buy whatever engine you want.

Truer words were never spoken
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Frack cuts to the chase. Drive that bad boy like you stole it, If you want a "collector car" look for a split window.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If you put one of these in it it will be worth more.
HEHE had to do it.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some guy on here bought a crate Vortec 350 from Jegs or Summit for like $1900 with free shipping. Compared to an 85 L98:

Vortec Cast Iron Heads - upgrade
Roller Cam - Upgrade
4 bolt main - upgrade (dubious value on a stocker but better nonetheless)
GM waranty

Only downside if you want to call it that would be the need to buy the pricey edelbrock lower intake for vortec heads. Not sure if the 85's had the one piece seal either so there is that to consider.

I'll bet you'd see a 20-30hp increase over a stock 85 L98.

Like someone else said above...#'s matching, maybe for a 96 LT4.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

let me say this,383,383,383,383.oh yes and superam.i had a 91 383 with a superram.it was really fast.i have purchased two cars on this very forum that had engine issues so could 383 them.both had good motors,only minor problems.there is a seller on ebay his name is herb.sells 383 motors cheap and has a great reputation.it wont cost a lot more to have a beast vs ho hum

Get notified of new replies

To valuation of 85 corvette

Quick Reply: valuation of 85 corvette