Weird sound like a police siren in my C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Cuervete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound like a police siren in my C4

Hey guys,
A 86' Corvette, 114000 miles, manual transmission here.

The facts:

- First, two days ago I was driving on the hwy with the overdrive in 4th gear on, I decelerated a bit to take an exit and switched off the overdrive. For the first time in 2 years I didn't feel the engine brake that one feels when switching off the overdrive, it seems the overdrive kept on even after pressing the button and the light went off. Later on, at lower rpms the overdrive seemed to go away, so it does switch off a while after I press the button.

- Second, yesterday and today I've been noticing a noise somewhere (haven't been able to assess where because it only happens when in motion). The intensity of the noise goes up with speed and looks like a police car siren, and it gets superloud in 3rd or 4rd gear. I think it comes somewhere from the drive train, it doesn't seem to come from the engine but I'm not sure, I'm not able to see it clear from inside the car. Other than that the engine seems to plunge too much when I press the brake in 2nd gear at ~1800rpms, before I used to have some sort of engine brake when braking from high rpms to disengaging the clutch at ~1200rpms. Don't know what the hell is going on but the sound is terrible.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It could be tranny related, but I think the first thing I would check, would be the wheel bearings.
Jack the tires up off the ground a few inches and grip the tires at 6 & 12 o'clock. If there's much play there, then it needs new hubs. Give them a few rotations to see if there's any grinding noise or anything weird.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuervete
Weird sound like a police siren in my C4!
Only time I have the noise its accompanied by annoying bright flashing lights.

What does your transmission fluid look like.... IE is it red or dark brown with crunchies in it?

Get notified of new replies

To Weird sound like a police siren in my C4

Quick Reply: Weird sound like a police siren in my C4