Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cooling fan won't come on

Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cooling fan won't come on

93 Convertable Cooling fan will not come on and lets car overheat. I am able to cool it down by turning on the AC or Def to engage the second (primary?) fan. I have replaced both fan relays, the temp sending unit it the front of the engine and all fuses relative (two 30 amp under the hood, 15 amp on pass side of the dash). I thought the fan motor was toast but if you run direct power, it runs fine. Can it be the engine ECM and if not what else could possiby be the cause. I am at my witts end with this, you can't let it idle (even in traffic) without overheating. Radiator is full and water pump is new last year. HELP
Bob Smith
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Are the fan grounds ok.. what about the fan switch sensor and lead to the fan switch sensor..
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On the main fan relay ground the input from the ECM, with key on.

If that brings the fan on check wiring between that relay point and the ECM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM
C4orce2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I had the LS3 hot cam crate engine installed in my '92, I had some issues with the new fans not always coming on when the AC turned on. Instead of trying to figure out what the problem was between the fans, my two computers and the computer interface, we simply decided to hot wire the fans. Now I control when the fans are on exactly the way I want to. You might find this solution to be the easiest and you may love it like I do if you try it. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The ECM uses the coolant temperature sensor to determine when to turn on the fans. Check the sensor and wiring.

Both fans should turn on if you ground the diagnostic pin on the ALDL connector.

You can check if the ECM is turning on the fans by looking at the control voltage on the fan relays.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by rcssr
93 Convertable Cooling fan will not come on and lets car overheat. I am able to cool it down by turning on the AC or Def to engage the second (primary?) fan. I have replaced both fan relays, the temp sending unit it the front of the engine and all fuses relative (two 30 amp under the hood, 15 amp on pass side of the dash). I thought the fan motor was toast but if you run direct power, it runs fine. Can it be the engine ECM and if not what else could possiby be the cause. I am at my witts end with this, you can't let it idle (even in traffic) without overheating. Radiator is full and water pump is new last year. HELP
Bob Smith
how high does the temp get?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the same issue with mine. I haven't had a chance to test the coolant temp sensor yet, but I am pretty sure that is my issue. But regardless, as mentioned above, I simply put a toggle switch under my dash that can easily and comfortably be reached when driving. I never liked that the fans kicked on at such a high temp, so when driving in traffic i just switch the fan on, well before the "factory" setting of 228. Just makes me feel better to have it running cooler, regardless of the high temp setting the factory built in. No cooling issues at all now
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
how high does the temp get?

Until an actual temp is posted, nobody knows for sure you even have a problem.
99.9% of the time if the fans works when you turn on the A/C, then they will probably work when the car gets to the factory set temp to command the fans to come on.

Originally Posted by silver84C4
I never liked that the fans kicked on at such a high temp, so when driving in traffic i just switch the fan on, well before the "factory" setting of 228. Just makes me feel better to have it running cooler, regardless of the high temp setting the factory built in. No cooling issues at all now
It might make you feel better, and that is all that matters.
But you didn't have a cooling issue before either if every thing worked as expected and the temp never got over 230°F - 235°F

They will work at the factory settings for over 100k miles without any issues or damage.
The coolant doesn't reach the boiling point until 260°F.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I just recently went through that problem myself. Turned out to be the fusible link (behind the battery on mine). Consult your FSM and get out your digital multimeter.

There is a fan relay/relays with a connector on it that you can pull off and do some preliminary testing. The power for the fans comes from the battery via a fusible link (see your manual).

Check for battery voltage at the appropriate power pin (usually the heavier gauge wire, if you have to guess). If you have battery voltage there at the relay connector, then the fusible link is good.

Then the question is does the relay work? If you have two fans, swap relays and see if the fan comes on when the engine is up to temp. If it does, then you have a bad relay.

If you have but one fan, you'll only have the one relay, so swapping can't be done, unless you have a spare handy (which you probably don't, I'd guess). So, you'll have to ground the black lead of your digital volt meter and pierce the insulation with the sharp point of the red lead probe and see if the ECM is sending batter voltage to the relay. If it is, and the relay is not working, then you know it is the relay.

Now, if you don't have battery voltage from the ECM to the fan relay, then the ECM is either not providing any, or there is a connection between the relay connector and the ECM that is faulty.

As mentioned, the ECM depends on temp sensor current to determine when to activate the fan(s). So, you could probe the sensor and see what if any signal voltage is being sent to the ECM. If it is ZERO, then the sensor is probably kaput, or the wiring or connectors between the sensor and the ECM is open somewhere.

If the ECM has what it needs, but fails to provide a relay signal, then there might be a bent pin or other connector problem at the ECM, or even the ECM could be fault (but I doubt it at this stage of the game)
I never recommend changing parts as a means of troubleshooting. Too many times either in the process of removing and reinstalling a "good" part, another problem gets introduced, further frustrating the whole process. Logical troubleshooting - measuring, comparing the measurement to what the measurement should be, and proceeding from there (process of logical elimination) is by far better (and cheaper) than "changing stuff till the problem goes away (like so many hack mechanics are always temped to do).
See what ya find and get back to us.

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
So, you'll have to ground the black lead of your digital volt meter and pierce the insulation with the sharp point of the red lead probe and see if the ECM is sending batter voltage to the relay. If it is, and the relay is not working, then you know it is the relay.
This is backwards. The ECM applies GROUND to the relay to turn it on. You can force the relay to turn on by applying a ground to the relay pin connected to the ECM. This will not damage the ECM (it's an open collector output, for the technical types...). As I said earlier, it's easiest to ground the ALDL diagnostic pin, which will tell the ECM to turn on the fan.

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
As mentioned, the ECM depends on temp sensor current to determine when to activate the fan(s). So, you could probe the sensor and see what if any signal voltage is being sent to the ECM. If it is ZERO, then the sensor is probably kaput, or the wiring or connectors between the sensor and the ECM is open somewhere.
You can fool the ECM into thinking the coolant is hot by disconnecting the CTS connector and shorting the two pins of the wiring harness side together. If that causes the fan to come on (as it should), then the CTS may be bad.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

of course the op isn't responding now
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Default Coolant fan won't come on

OK it stopped raining so I can get back to the problem. Did I mention that what I know about relays and ECM's would fit in a thimble? Thanks for all the replies trying to help me. Here are the updates as the problem is not solved and now maybe worse.
I replaced the sending unit in the front of the motor with no change, I jumped across the two wires with no affect as well. I switched the connectors on the two identical fan relay's as suggested and the AC fan still came on so I know both relays are good ( I had previously replaced them anyway). I ran power directly to the positive wire for the coolant fan at the relay connector as suggested (called the secondary fan by the GM schematic) and the fan came on and ran fine, so I know the fan motor is OK. The blue wire comes from the ECM and as suggested I grounded it with no effect (did the same with the green wire that comes from the ECM to the AC fan relay (GM calls it the primary fan). Since it read zero voltage I fail to see what grounding it would have done. FYI: all of this was done with the key in the on position. Are we thinking ECM yet?

Now the bad news: Out of stupidity I jumped the pink (hot) wire to the green (no voltage indicated) wire at the fan relay connector. There was a very tiny connection spark (not a short spark) and something went 'click' in the vacinity of the front of the motor. Now the AC fan does not come on at all. The relay was NOT connected when I performed this stunt so I did not fry that. What could I have done now? My 71 never had these issues...UGH
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Default Coolant fan won't come on.

False alarm, I just blew the 5 amp fuse located on the passengers side of the dash. The AC fan comes on again when you run the AC or defroster. I have 4.9 volts at the hot lead of the temperature sending unit, which I think is OK. If I jump power at the relay connectors from the main red power lead to the power lead of each fan they run fine. Of note is that when I try to jump power from the smaller red wire (which gets power from that 5 amp fuse) to the fan power lead it blows that fuse (either connector). I am guessing that it only uses less than 5 amps to trigger the relay but when I try to run the fan off it the fuse blow as the fan motors use more than 5 amps. Just a guess but makes sense to me. What now?
By the way I did check the 20 and 30 amp fuses in both fuse boxes located near the batter. All good
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ECM uses the coolant temperature sensor to determine when to turn on the fans. Check the sensor and wiring.

Both fans should turn on if you ground the diagnostic pin on the ALDL connector.

You can check if the ECM is turning on the fans by looking at the control voltage on the fan relays.
Where is the ALDL diagnostic pin??
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

ALDL is located under driver's dash on the right side. Remove the cover and jumper (paper clip) pins A&B (upper right).

Wow, it's tough shooting this type of problem w/o a FSM which calls out function of the various wires.
What are the wire colors into the main fan relay? And what is the wire color into the main fan?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Default coolant fan won't come on

Originally Posted by 65Z01
ALDL is located under driver's dash on the right side. Remove the cover and jumper (paper clip) pins A&B (upper right).

Wow, it's tough shooting this type of problem w/o a FSM which calls out function of the various wires.
What are the wire colors into the main fan relay? And what is the wire color into the main fan?
It is not under the dash unless I have to remove the lower dash pane to access it?? Would it be in a different location on a 93?
The wire colors are as follows:Red/Blk power to the primary fan & Pink/Blk power to the secondary fan (this is the one that won't come on). Primary power to both relays is Red. 5 amp fused link to the relay's are both Pink/Blk (smaller gauge wire than the primary red wire. Primary relay wire to the ECM is green & secondary relay wire to the ECM is Dk Blue/Wht. The coolant sensor wire to the ECM is yellow (must be working as the dash guages work fine showing temp).
I am reluctant to blame the ECM but I am running out of culprits. Maybe I should hit it with a hammer and see what happens!!**
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
This is backwards. The ECM applies GROUND to the relay to turn it on. You can force the relay to turn on by applying a ground to the relay pin connected to the ECM.
Sheeeiiittt!!! And, I knew that too!! You are correct! A ground is provided to activate the relay. (Memory is a terrible thing to depend on. My bad.)

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan won't come on

Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

Default cooling fan will not come on

I have voltage at the temp sending unit and jumping them does nothing. I can not find the ALDL unless it is inside the lower dash trim that is material covered. I grounded the blue wire from the ECM to the secondary fan relay (that is the one that does not come on) and the fan came on and ran fine. Does this mean the ECM is bad?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM
rcssr
Intermediate

On a lark I jammed a paper clip into the two connections of the temp sensor and both fans came on (only with the engine running, not with just the key on). I had a feeling that I may not have done a good job of jumping it out previously and I was right. Since it is new I discounted it but it appears to be a partial culprit at least. I am going to put another sensor in and see what happens. I hope this ends this nightmare.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Have you checked the wiring at connector C138? The inner parts of the connector may need to be cleaned or the blue/white wire may have seperated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling fan won't come on