C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Passenger Side Window Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
CNJ Surveyor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Passenger Side Window Doesn't Work

I have an issue on my 94 coupe. I have been replacing my weatherstripping. I was working on the Windshield weatherstrip and had the windows down for a day. I finished and went to put the windows up and the passenger side window won't go up. I hear a small click sometimes when I push the button. Neither button works. I tried jiggling the window a little, but still nothing. I have the FSMs but am not sure if there is a relay or some other issue I could check before I have to go ahead and replace the regulator/ motor. I would appreciate any help or ideas. As a note, I drove the car for several hours on Sunday in the rain. I am afraid that perhaps water got in the regulator or motor, if that is possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you have the FSM's you should have the schematics for the power windows. You need to access the switch for the window to check for power.. If its similar to my 84 you should have both 12v and ground on the switch..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
CNJ Surveyor
Instructor

I located the sections in the FSM about diagnosing the electrical stuff. I will go through it. I did hear a clunk when the window went down. Could there be a mechanical issue? Something out if place? I don't hear the motor run at all.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you heard a clunk I would start by pulling the door panel and checking the mounting of the motor and all related parts.. If the motor is not running I would make sure it is still connected..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I have this problem intermittantly. I believe I have a lose connection, perhaps from a guy that Iwould give a ride once in while who had a bd habit of slamming the door. Right now I have bigger fish to fry with the car, but pulling the door panel and checking the connection is on my short list.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The wiring can pull the connector that attaches to the window winder motor adjar, Try holding the button in window up mode with ignition on and slam the door shut. If it works that is a sure sign of a bad connection or a motor with bad contacts. You will have to remove the door trim and pay careful attention to the wiring to the motor if the plug is pulled on an angle, remove the plug and refit then check the window works.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
howardjm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same problem with my window, the motor builds up carbon and does not get contact. I removed the door panel and tapped on the motor with a screwdriver and loosend the carbon and now it works fine
Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
CNJ Surveyor
Instructor

Originally Posted by howardjm
i have had the same problem with my window, the motor builds up carbon and does not get contact. I removed the door panel and tapped on the motor with a screwdriver and loosend the carbon and now it works fine
Howardjim FTW! Came home from work, mowed the lawn, then slammed the vette door a few times (assuming it had the same effect as tapping the motor with a screw driver). The window goes up and down even better than before Pics of weatherstripping on A pillar coming soon to a new thread

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Side Window Doesn't Work

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Window Doesn't Work