C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 vette fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 PM
lvm94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 vette fuel filter

Bought a new napa fuel filter to install in my car. Took a cursory look around to see what is going to be involved to change it. since its a vert the x-brace needs to be removed and it looks like the exhaust will have to be dropped down also since I don't see anyway to get line wrenches in there. crummy $15.00 part that looks like a lot to do pm work. Anyone have another way to do it that not as involved? I must be missing something, comment appreciated.
larry
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lvm94
Bought a new napa fuel filter to install in my car. Took a cursory look around to see what is going to be involved to change it. since its a vert the x-brace needs to be removed and it looks like the exhaust will have to be dropped down also since I don't see anyway to get line wrenches in there. crummy $15.00 part that looks like a lot to do pm work. Anyone have another way to do it that not as involved? I must be missing something, comment appreciated.
larry
I'd rag you for not doing a search, but I never have any luck searching for anything here, even if I read it two days ago!

Check out this thread---> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...el-filter.html

Wait until the tank is nearly empty, and put the front end on ramps so you don't have a bunch of gas siphon out. And open the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank itself. Work outside, away from open flames and have a catch pan and fire extinguisher handy.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part, as I STILL haven't actually changed mine out...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Its truly between a rock and a hard place.

Wound up disconnecting the steel lines at the top of the motor (in front of the FPR) and separated the steel lines downstream of the fuel filter. Dropped the entire sub-assembly to change the filter.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Anyone have another way to do it that not as involved? I must be missing something, comment appreciated.
larry
Follow this guide I wrote many many years ago...took be about 30 minutes and that was wasting time snapping pictures!

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/bac522/technical.htm

It's old HTML, really need to update the guide putting it into wordpress, pictures can be clicked on for bigger views.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Spiller
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Its truly between a rock and a hard place.

Wound up disconnecting the steel lines at the top of the motor (in front of the FPR) and separated the steel lines downstream of the fuel filter. Dropped the entire sub-assembly to change the filter.
This is how I did mine, and I don't even have an Xbrace.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
lvm94
Advanced

Originally Posted by Just BOB
I'd rag you for not doing a search, but I never have any luck searching for anything here, even if I read it two days ago!

Check out this thread---> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...el-filter.html

Wait until the tank is nearly empty, and put the front end on ramps so you don't have a bunch of gas siphon out. And open the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank itself. Work outside, away from open flames and have a catch pan and fire extinguisher handy.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part, as I STILL haven't actually changed mine out...
I actually did use the search function, typed in "fuel filter install" and seemed to get everything but what I looked for. Guess I should have asked how to use the search function also.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can take the 4 bolts out of the X brace and pull it down to give you a little room, the brace will go back into place no problem.

Loosen the front line on the filter first, then hold the rear line with a wrench and turn the filter to loosen it.

The rest is gas going up your arms and all over until you have it off, if the new filter came with sealing plugs with it, use one of those to cap the front line off to slow the gas leakage.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

larry
Here's how I did it; I took the car for a short drive. I looked for a building that had a big gold "bowtie". Drove it in, replacement part in hand and asked them to put it in for me. It didn't cost too much, take too long, and the coffee was not only free, but actually pretty good.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:04 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I took a Craftsman wrench, I think a 17mm (whatever the size is on the filter) and bent the open end 90 degrees. I had to torch it for a while until red hot to bend it. I then put a pipe through the closed end of the wrench. It will reach up to the top of the filter. Works much better than trying to reach up there with your hand for the hold wrench. I use a flare nut wrench for the fuel line flare nuts.

With all the ethanol in the fuel today, you will be changing the filters more frequently as ethanol absorbs moisture from the air and gets caught in the fuel filter/water separator.
Just saying..

Last edited by mixalive; 05-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this original post was concerning a vert but is it that hard to change the fuel filter on a coupe?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Here's how I did it; I took the car for a short drive. I looked for a building that had a big gold "bowtie". Drove it in, replacement part in hand and asked them to put it in for me. It didn't cost too much, take too long, and the coffee was not only free, but actually pretty good.
hahaha not a bad idea actually, lol.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
lvm94
Advanced

Thanks for the reply's guys.
larry

Get notified of new replies

To 94 vette fuel filter

Quick Reply: 94 vette fuel filter