C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Questions about my 1995 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Questions about my 1995 Coupe

I always wanted a Corvette and recently bought my first, a Polo Green Metallic 1995 Coupe. I have a few questions & issues... yes I have searched many times but found no definitive answers. Here's the car:

And here are the questions:

1) Do I have a z07?
There's no information under the armrest lid or on the cupholder area cover, and the seller didn't have any *original* documentation beyond the owner's manual. It has an LT1 and the options include 6-speed manual, SRC adjustable suspension, dual power/dual sport leather seats, automatic climate control, alarm/PKE, and Bose CD. The sticker on the driver's door says 275/40R17 front & rear but it's currently mounted with 285/40ZR17 all around. I doubt it is a z07 but the wheels/tires and other options have me wondering. The ride is very stiff, even at 32 psi with SRC on "tour" setting. Maybe that's just how these things ride.

2) My rear axle/suspension position is offset to the right about 1/2 inch. Is this a problem?
When you look at one side and then the other, the right rear tire is noticeably farther out than the left rear, it's not extreme but it is fairly noticeable when pointed out. And sometimes when I really get on the gas going straight, I have to correct my path with steering input -- pretty confident this is not due to wheelspin since I'm very easy on the clutch. Maybe something is shifting in the back end when under power, making the car not go straight. I don't hear any wheel bearing noises. A rotted bushing perhaps? Everything underneath looks OK, I haven't inspected everything super close but I can say that nothing is obviously bent or broken or missing. But I'm not an expert on these cars since this is my first. I can post pictures of the offset if it will help.

3) Heater core is shot, currently bypassed, looking for the highest quality replacement unit under or around $150. Suggestions?

4) First gear has a moderate whine to it. Is this normal operation? Is first gear a straight-cut cog? All other forward gears are pretty quiet.

5) Clutch - It runs, shifts and drives great, everything works fine. But the seller says he definitely did not replace the clutch and he didn't have any clutch information from the previous owners, so it may very well be the original setup. Should I be concerned about the clutch? How long can these things last? It's got 105,000 miles.

All responses will be appreciated. And I'll wave to you if I see you.

Last edited by DGXR; 06-07-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

You can get the build sheet and window sticker from the National Corvette Museum to see what your RPOs were.
From the Corvette Black Book: "RPO Z07 included RPO FX3 (Selective Ride and Handling, electronic), special springs, stabilizers and bushings, 17x9 1/2" wheels and P275/40ZR17/N black-letter tires, Required AG1 and AG2 (power driver and passenger seats)."
Others will surely chime in to answer your questions.
My opinion on the clutch is that if it is doing fine then don't mess with it.
Congratulations on a beautiful car
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Further reading in my C4 Specs book shows the FE7 (sport suspension) front stabilizer bar is solid and has a 1.18 diameter. The base car had a tubular bar that is 0.94" diameter.
I was a little confused by the FE7 notation as FE7 is not listed as a 95 Corvette RPO. I did find a link to a post on the Corvette Action Center forum that states FE7 on C4s is an integral part of the sport suspension.
So - go measure that front stabilizer bar to find out what you have. If it is more than 1" then you have a rare car as only 887 of the 23,330 base coupes and convertibles had Z07 in 1995.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The heater core is not expensive to replace, it's the length of the job that is the big pita unless it is different on the later model C4's.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by DGXR
And here are the questions:

1) Do I have a z07?
There's no information under the armrest lid or on the cupholder area cover, and the seller didn't have any *original* documentation beyond the owner's manual.
Lift the lid on the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
The RPO sticker should be just under that lid.

Note: Anytime you see any ID Plate on the cup holder area, it is an aftermarket add on.

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
You can get the build sheet and window sticker from the National Corvette Museum to see what your RPOs were.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
laurieb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, from another Sacramento Vette owner. Great looking car you got. It doesn't sound as if there's too much to sort out, which is great. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

No one is worried about the rear wheels shifted to one side?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Thanks BB... it feels fine except for the occasional need for steering input on hard acceleration. I'll take some pics and put them up here, so people can see if there is a real concern or if I'm just concerned about nothing... it could be that the left is in too far or the right is out too far, maybe not both (not the whole rear assembly). And is 1/2 inch that much to be worried? Are the rear wheels on C4s usually in perfect positions laterally?

And I'm still curious about the moderate 1st gear whine... anyone?

Great information here, thanks people

And thanks for the welcome laurieb

Last edited by DGXR; 06-05-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My 1995 convertible has the right rear tire offset. Not much, you have to look for it. When you really get on the power the rear will drift to the left requiring steering or power adjustments. Be careful when traction is low and when turning to the right. A right turn will amply this tendency and you could explore real estate along the side of the road.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
laurieb
Instructor

As far as the tranny, a change of the gear oil may help. It's got 105,000 on it, and who know when, or if, that's been changed. Since the car is new to you, changing out all the fluids is a good idea, anyway.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Lift the lid on the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
The RPO sticker should be just under that lid.
Note: Anytime you see any ID Plate on the cup holder area, it is an aftermarket add on.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Ms. Laurib...hello

Originally Posted by laurieb
Welcome, from another Sacramento Vette owner. Great looking car you got. It doesn't sound as if there's too much to sort out, which is great. Enjoy!
Ms. Lauri, something most interesting. Your handle says laurib, at first I thought you were my dear freind Lauri. Until I paid attention, you are in Cali and she is in Canada, but you both are Lauri B___! She drives track with us and is a very good driver. Just things that make you go MMMMMMMM?

Nice to meet you Laurib #2...LOL

Oh, and welcome DGXR, I too have a 95' Pologreen...Love it. But sorry I address you issues except to say, yes your RPO codes are under your passenger side storage lid. Snap a pic and do some research. There are lots of very smart and knowledgeble people here, you will will enjoy yourself and learn alot.

Boxcar-7.......off the net

Last edited by Boxcar; 06-06-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't get to concerned looking for problems, enjoy the car. Gear whine in lower gears and slight wheel offset is normal. Replace the clutch when it goes out, it could go another 100k depending on how you drive it. Any upholstery shop should be able to repair the seat bolster ($100-$200). The cheapest thing about replacing the heater core is the heater core, you have to pull the dash, $$$$$.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by laurieb
As far as the tranny, a change of the gear oil may help. It's got 105,000 on it, and who know when, or if, that's been changed. Since the car is new to you, changing out all the fluids is a good idea, anyway.
The previous owner provided documentation of transmission and differential service in 2009 at 95,000 miles. And I had it inspected before buying, all fluids were fine. But I suppose it could not hurt to change them anyway - it's cheap, easy and fast (insert joke).

RollaMo & boatguy, unfortunately there's no information under the storage area lid behind the passenger seat, I looked carefully. That plastic page is tethered to the jack assembly but that is it! With there also being nothing under the armrest lid, I don't understand how both these things could be missing. Looks like I'll be measuring the front stabilizer bar and calling the National Corvette Museum.

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I wouldn't get to concerned looking for problems, enjoy the car. Gear whine in lower gears and slight wheel offset is normal. Replace the clutch when it goes out, it could go another 100k depending on how you drive it. Any upholstery shop should be able to repair the seat bolster ($100-$200). The cheapest thing about replacing the heater core is the heater core, you have to pull the dash, $$$$$.
Very good to hear the rear offset and gear whine are normal. I was not really worried but had to ask anyway. Definitely enjoying the car, thanks! So much fun to drive... everyone drives so slowly since I got it LOL! I've read up on the heater core replacment, sounds like a major PIA but I have time and tools and patience. I just wanted to know of a high-quality replacement unit, if any new cores are built better than others or if they are all pretty much the same quality.

Thanks again people! This place is great!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
laurieb
Instructor

Good to hear that the previous owner gave you some documentation. And, I'm not surprised. As I look at the pics, I realize that I've seen this car in person when we were looking for a second C4. And, it really is a great looking car. The previous owner seemed to take good care of it. We already have a 95, and ended up going with a different year. I really like the early C4 body style, so wanted to have one of those, too. I'm really glad to see that this nice Polo 95 went to a good home and that you're having fun with it!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congratulations I think that I have nearly the same car as you except that mine is an automatic.

I am guessing that yours is a Z07 for these reasons:
1) You have the FX3 adjustable shocks. They adjust electro/mechanically using that rotary switch on your center console between the seat adjustment controls.
2) You indicate that the door sticker says 275x45x17 both front and rear. Most of the vettes in 94 – 96 came with wheels that were 8.5” wide in the front and 9.5” wide in the back. The fronts would take a tire that was 245 or 255 wide and the rears would take tires that were 275 or 285 wide HOWEVER in 95, the Z07 vettes (like mine) came with 9.5” wide wheels and 275x40x17 tires on all 4 corners.

If you read back over years of posts you will find that lots of C4s appear to have their rear wheels offset a half inch to an inch however because the rear quarter panels are glued on and not mounted to the frame mechanically the spacing between the left rear quarter panel and the left rear wheel and the spacing between the right rear quarter panel and the right rear wheel are not always the same side to side.
If the wheels are really offset… a 4 wheel alignment should confirm this. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Do be careful getting on the gas going around corners no matter whether it’s a right turn or a left turn. Your vette has a lot of torque and it’s easy to lose the rear-end going around a corner if you are not used to driving the car.

Be sure to take the time to read all of the stickys at the top of the section there is a wealth of great information there posted there from all lthe folks that have owned the C4.

95 was a great year for C4 corvettes and not only that .... but you bought the BEST color. Drive the car and enjoy it. That’s what it was built for.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by BB 2005
No one is worried about the rear wheels shifted to one side?
Are both wheels the same size? The base car came with 17 x 9.5 on the rear and 17 x 8.5 on the front.

Maybe you have a front wheel on the back?

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about my 1995 Coupe

Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Are both wheels the same size? The base car came with 17 x 9.5 on the rear and 17 x 8.5 on the front.

Maybe you have a front wheel on the back?
Good thought, but unlikely. All 4 tires are confirmed 285/40ZR17, so if any of the wheels were 1" narrower (or wider), the sidewall would look drastically different from the others. All the sidewalls have *exactly* the same shape and curve. But thank you Mr Mojo!

Give me a couple more days to measure the sway bar and call the National Corvette Museum about the RPO to confirm what this thing really is.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Great looking 95 shame it ain't dark metallic red thou. Just bought my 95 also great cars!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to http://www.compnine.com and enter the VIN...it should tell you what you have, including wheel sizes. It's free for one time.

Quick Reply: Questions about my 1995 Coupe