C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Plugs and wire change nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Plugs and wire change nightmare

I haven't posted in the C4 section for a while. Actually I haven't driven my C4 in a long time either because of a bad miss. I knew it needed plugs and wires and maybe an Optispark. Well I got tired of looking at my dead C4 and decided to change the plugs and wires and hopefully have it back up and running.

I've done a lot of mods to the car in the past and I knew it was a PIA job to change them. I pulled the fuel rails, air pipe, dip stick holder, cold air induction, throttle body, drained radiator, removed alternator, unbolted A/C compressor, removed ASR, upper radiator hose, inner drivers side wheel well access panel and the serpentine. I raised the car enough to get under it. Now time to remove the plugs. I found out my Hooker headers have swelled enough that I can't get a standard spark plug socket on them so I ground down the socket to make it fit. Next I pulled all the spark plug wires off. Putting the wires back on was a challenge on the drivers side as I had a very hard time getting my hand between the engine and the frame to snap the wires onto the distributor. Anyway it took me the better half of a day to get the job done. The good news is that it runs strong again and it didn't need an Optispark!

Over the winter I put a supercharger an my C6 and even though it was a complicated job I don't remember any part of it being as aggravating as plugs and wires on the C4 and to change the optispark is just insanely over the top ridicules.

I will tell one thing though when I'm in the C4 with the cam hitting hard, the 3.73 gear pulling hard and the 3K stall converter doing its thing that car feel like a sports car. The C6 feels like an extremely strong Cadillac.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plugs aren't too bad once you know the shorty cuts. The wires however .

You want hard? Try replacing plugs on an LT1 F-body. You need an assistant with small hands and a monkey.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Plugs aren't too bad once you know the shorty cuts. The wires however .

You want hard? Try replacing plugs on an LT1 F-body. You need an assistant with small hands and a monkey.
LOL, that funny. Next time I'll borrow you monkey! Like in Monkey Wrench!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good looking pair of vettes and the engine bay on your 92 looks like a new car
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
Good looking pair of vettes and the engine bay on your 92 looks like a new car
Yes sir, I was hoping somebody would notice. I won best engine in a car show a while back. What's hard is keeping the valve covers bright. I will share a little trick on keeping the cast aluminum like new, nothing to do with the valve covers mind you. Get some aluminum anti-seize and apply a light coat on say the alternator. Wipe off the excess and just drive the car. In about two days it dries perfectly hard and will not rub off. Looks better than showroom new!

I hate that the miles keep racking up.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper

I hate that the miles keep racking up.
Disconnect harness at speed sensor.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Disconnect harness at speed sensor.
Ha Ha, then the torque converter won't lock up.

Get notified of new replies

To Plugs and wire change nightmare

Quick Reply: Plugs and wire change nightmare