Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help...Lost all my coolant. What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help...Lost all my coolant. What is this?

Hey guys,

95 LT1....

Just got back from the Power Tour. Fresh engine with a small pro charger. 3000 miles and she ran like a top.
Today I decided to give it a full bath/detail after all the miles. So I'm all done and since it was nice and shiny and a PERFECT day, I decided to take a quick spin before dinner. Did not even get out of my subdivision and I smell coolant. Just then the low coolant light comes on and the needle was moving up fast. Made it home right when she was getting close to 240. I open the hood and of course there is coolant all over my freshly detailed engine bay.

Start looking around and see a wide open hose that is coming from heater core. Find the other end and that goes to the water pump. The split is right by the coolant fill area, and there is what appears to be some sort of plastic valve that has split in 2 with one half of it in each hose. I did find a small spring laying on the frame, but whatever was inside this plastic case is gone. I do have the service manual for the car and I have spent the last half hour trying to figure out what the heck this is?

Anyone have any idea what this thing is and a part number? I'm hoping it's still available at the dealer, or somewhere????

I plan on heading to the Street Machine Nationals in a little over a week, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Couple of pics:

Last edited by Scootin_Z; 06-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
94flavette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heater Control Valve - AC Delco part #10157988 revised to 155423

The AC Delco version is on wholesale clearance at RockAuto for $6.31 but remember to look in the Heat/AC section of the parts listing, NOT the Cooling System section.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~Z5Z5Z50000050
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks much guys. What exactly does this do? I have never had one fail, and all my other cars I wrench on are old muscle so if they have one I have never had one fail...

Last edited by Scootin_Z; 06-17-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94flavette
Heater Control Valve - AC Delco part #10157988 revised to 155423

The AC Delco version is on wholesale clearance at RockAuto for $6.31 but remember to look in the Heat/AC section of the parts listing, NOT the Cooling System section.
WOW...94flavette...Great find!!! That was the last AC Delco unit they had. $12.50 with 2 day shipping. This was an cheap and easy breakdown.

So glad it happened here close to home and NOT on the Power Tour!

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 AM
94flavette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I could help.

I just bought my second '94 and am redoing the cooling system. Mine isn't broken, but those plastic parts get old so I ordered a new one last week. $7 is pretty cheap peace of mind.

From what I understand, they are used to regulate the force of the coolant from the engine to the heater core under high RPM. Some on here find it an unnecessary part. I disagree. It has to be there for a reason.

Evan
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin_Z
Thanks much guys. What exactly does this do? I have never had one fail, and all my other cars I wrench on are old muscle so if they have one I have never had one fail...
IIRC, it limits flow to the heater core at higher revs to help prevent damage/bursting of the heater core.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Given the fact that you have a pro charger and your avatar shows you doing a burnout I do believe I would be looking at an alternative to the plastic piece. Either that or buy a handful of them & change them out periodically
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94flavette

Glad I could help.

I just bought my second '94 and am redoing the cooling system. Mine isn't broken, but those plastic parts get old so I ordered a new one last week. $7 is pretty cheap peace of mind.

From what I understand, they are used to regulate the force of the coolant from the engine to the heater core under high RPM. Some on here find it an unnecessary part. I disagree. It has to be there for a reason.

Evan
Yeah I'm sure this was the original, so they get old. Your smart replacing yours before it fails! Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Given the fact that you have a pro charger and your avatar shows you doing a burnout I do believe I would be looking at an alternative to the plastic piece. Either that or buy a handful of them & change them out periodically
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Yeah this was a low mile car and no the motor is far from stock, but I will keep an eye on this one, and for the money just replace it when I flush it.

Get notified of new replies

To Help...Lost all my coolant. What is this?

Quick Reply: Help...Lost all my coolant. What is this?