Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What Plastic Parts (under hood) Can Be Painted Safely?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Breezie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Plastic Parts (under hood) Can Be Painted Safely?

Hey Y'all,
I've removed my fuel rail covers and am going to paint them. I've found several posts on the forum that explains how to do them correctly.

What other plastic parts can be safely painted; especially those that can be removed/replaced easily?

Thanks in advance,
Breezie
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Breezie
Hey Y'all,
I've removed my fuel rail covers and am going to paint them. I've found several posts on the forum that explains how to do them correctly.

What other plastic parts can be safely painted; especially those that can be removed/replaced easily?

Thanks in advance,
Breezie
With proper preparation many can be painted. I've never looked at any of the posts that you've mentioned but the proper materials for the "correct" plastics are required. Caution! Looking good now and "lasting" are not necessarily accomplished unless the correct plastic preparation is used. Most plastics are stamped identifying there "properties" - use preparation for that plastic. An automotive paint supplier can help usually.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Breezie
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I can certainly tell you what NOT to use. Don't even think about using Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer. I went to the our local AutoZone and the Manager suggested I used the Plastic Primer by RO since I was painting the Fuel Rail Covers. I cleaned the FRCs thoroughly with Dawn/Water, then 3 times with rubbing alcohol. The POS RustOleum Primer came out like canned Christmas snow and within a few minutes was bubbled in various spots. I sanded it off, cleaned again, and sprayed a very light mist. It still bubbled. Four hours later, it was still wet, tacky, and looked like plastic molasses. I got so disgusted, I ordered a new set of rails. I'll NEVER used any product by RustOleum again, and will tell everyone with an ear drum about it!
Breezie
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Must use an adhesive promoter after all your prep, BullDog is what I use. If a flimsy part, a flex additive in the paint along with Bulldog. Use high temp engine paints (any color available just about) they hold up better in the long run. Get out of box store an into a paint store... Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To What Plastic Parts (under hood) Can Be Painted Safely?

Quick Reply: What Plastic Parts (under hood) Can Be Painted Safely?