C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

First problem with the 1985

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Eangelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First problem with the 1985

So thought it would be nice to take the vette to good ol Walmart today. Getting out of the car I slide the door locks over to lock the doors. Go in grab what I need. Come out unlock the doors with my keys, open the door and the alarm goes off.... Who knew a 28 year old car had one.. Had any one else come across this problem? Any fuses I can pull to just eliminate the alarm?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Eangelo
So thought it would be nice to take the vette to good ol Walmart today. Getting out of the car I slide the door locks over to lock the doors. Go in grab what I need. Come out unlock the doors with my keys, open the door and the alarm goes off.... Who knew a 28 year old car had one.. Had any one else come across this problem? Any fuses I can pull to just eliminate the alarm?
Not sure, but it may be tied into the starter interrupt.
Won't go off if you know how to use it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Oklahoma Adam
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

This happened on my 85 I had years ago. I neve could get it to work right so I just started using the key to lock the door after I was out of the car with the door shut. This keeps the alarm from being armed in the first place. Mine was actually so bad that I would have to disconnect the battery to disarm the alarm to be able to start the car.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Eangelo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Adam
This happened on my 85 I had years ago. I neve could get it to work right so I just started using the key to lock the door after I was out of the car with the door shut. This keeps the alarm from being armed in the first place. Mine was actually so bad that I would have to disconnect the battery to disarm the alarm to be able to start the car.
Funny you say that because I had to disconnect the battery in the Walmart parking lot today. People probably thought I was steeling IMF a corvette :p
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you unlock the passenger door first? That would explain it. And turning the key in the drivers door will shut it off.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Eangelo
Advanced

No I unlocked the drivers door first
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Oklahoma Adam
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Just use the key to lock the door after its closed and you will never have this problem again.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I unlocked the drivers door first
Then check the switch on the back of the door lock cylinder. It should make contact and disarm the alarm when you unlock the door with the key. Also be sure you turn the key as far as it will go, to ensure you trigger the switch.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Yeah i noticed that alarm in my 85 when i first got it.
To enable that use the lock door button before closing door, then use the key on the door lock to unlock the car and cancel the alarm before opening door.

If the alarm goes of usually putting the key in the door and turning it will cancel the alarm.

If you lock the car with the key the alarm is not activated.

Anyway i never use it due to auto arming imobiliser required for insurance here in Australia, have a remote central locking key fob for the aftermarket alarm.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont lock my cars
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

First problem with the 1985....
That is pretty good if the first problem took 28 years to happen.

Actually, I never had an alarm problem with my '85. I had one with my '87 going off unexpectedly, but it canceled with the key in the driver's door lock.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Eangelo
Advanced

just getting back to the forum after the 4th. but car does not have power door locks. i will have to play around with it. maybe it was a freak thing. never had the problem before and my uncle being the previous owner never had the problem.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:40 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Txbobcat
I dont lock my cars
Not necessary if you don't leave the garage, eh?

The VATS alarm will not disengage from the drivers side door lock.
The disarm switch is on the keylock and very difficult to access.
I have to remember to use the pass side when unlocking.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

1985's don't have VATS.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:49 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
1985's don't have VATS.
Ding, ding, ding, threadwinner.

I had this discussion with a friend, and it does have security, but is different from what came along in 86.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

1986 is the year when "VATS" was introduced. They should have never used it.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 AM
wbrowne
5th Gear

Had a similar problem. I have an '84 with the 4+3 manual transmission. Left the window open and reached in to unlock the door, alarm went off. Huh?

Truly was a surprise that one even existed. I got in, put key in ignition, clutch in, and started her up. Alarm went off.

I tried repeating the alarm going off but it wouldn't work. I figured out that if the car is in Reverse, the alarm is engaged ... and the ignition is locked until the clutch is in. If she's in any other gear, the alarm is not engaged, and check this out - you can start the car without the key ...

So, it's Reverse, and put the windows up and I'm good to go.

Or, I get the Starsky and Hutch mode: leave her in 1st, window down, jump in without opening the door, sans keys ... and I'm good to go

Get notified of new replies

To First problem with the 1985

Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 AM
DaveP85C4
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
Did you unlock the passenger door first? That would explain it.
-Passenger side disarms the system just like the drivers side.
-Turning on the ignition has no effect, once system is triggered. The alarm will not cancel. Eventually the alarm will time-out, but it will reset, and the starter interrupt will be active until disarmed with an outside door lock key. EDIT: If the system is armed, then set by closing a door, but ignition is then turned to RUN (without opening a door or the hatch), the system is disarmed.

With manual door locks, the system is armed when both doors are locked using the inside ****, prior to the last door being closed.
To disarm the system, use either outside key lock and unlock the door.

The "SECURITY" light in the DIC indicates system status:

Flashing = System disarmed, door open.
Goes solid = armed, waiting for door to close.
Light goes out a few seconds after last door closed = system is active.

It seems like the OP's drivers outside key lock switch is not functioning to disarm the system. Try it with the passenger side key lock.

All C4 factory theft deterrent systems work this way. Later years have some oddities like park lights will trigger alarm, and PKE cars will let you pop the hatch with the alarm set without triggering it.

VATS is an enhancement / improvement (?) over the simple starter interrupt on the 84-85. VATS and PKE don't change the way the system is armed or disarmed with the door locks and outside keys, nor the way the security light indicates system status. That's the same for all C4's.

Last edited by DaveP85C4; 07-08-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
DaveP85C4
Intermediate

""Once the system is triggered" turning on the ignition has NO effect.

VATS includes an output to the ECM to enable injector fueling. The output signal sent is an asymmetrical square wave pulse that can be duplicated with Radio Shack components, but not by the average car thief. The Starter Interrupt on the 84-85 can be defeated with a set of alligator clips. That's what I meant by "improvement".

Back in the day, "that little pellet" probably prevented numerous Y and F cars from being stolen by popping the steering column by thief's that weren't willing to deal with the "pellet". I was told this by a guy that enhanced his income by providing car parts at discount prices. I inquired about obtaining a set of wheels from a 90. (This was in about 95) He quipped "No man. Those years have the little thing in the key. They're too hard to steal".

True story.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
DaveP85C4
Intermediate

My responses in RED:

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
-Passenger side disarms the system just like the drivers side.
-Turning on the ignition has no effect, once system is triggered. The alarm will not cancel.

VATS is an enhancement / improvement (?) over the simple starter interrupt on the 84-85.

Where did you get this information?
From testing the alarm system on hundreds of C4 Corvettes during NCRS Operations checks. From the GM Helm's Manuals. From my 85's Owner's Manual. From the way my 85 (same year as OP's car) has functioned since I took delivery of it new on June 7, 1985.

It's wrong on all counts.
No its not.

The passenger side door has nothing at all to do with arming or disarming the alarm system.
Yes it does.

You can turn it all day and the alarm won't be disarmed.
Only if it's not working properly.

Turning the "ignition on" or opening the "drivers side door" with a key is the only way do disarm the system once it's set or triggered.
No they're not. Understand there IS a difference between "set" and "triggered". Yes, driver's [or passenger] door will disarm a TRIGGERED system.
Turning the ignition on will cancel a "set" system, but will NOT cancel a "triggered" system. If it did, the starter interrupt would be ineffective, no?

The alarm WILL cancel when doing either one of those two things. That's how GM engineered it.
No they didn't "engineer" it that way. Read the Helms manuals as to how they're wired, and for the trouble shooting flow charts for properly evaluating the system's operation. Then if you have the opportunity, go check the validity of that documentation against the operation of hundreds of different C4's in the field.

As far as VATS? Enhancement or improvement are probably the two worst words that can be used for it.
I put a "?" in quotes. My way of "questioning" the 'wisdom' of the design. VATS is still an "enhancement" over starter interrupt. But could have probably have been better sorted-out prior to release.
Have a nice day.
From a n00b that knows how these cars are supposed to work.

Last edited by DaveP85C4; 07-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: First problem with the 1985