Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

rear suspension/wheel repair

Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
tdereggi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default rear suspension/wheel repair

I love my new 1985 vette, but unfortunately I just had my first wreck, and repairing it. Background... I accellerated turning left out of a parking lot to fast, and hit a wet spot, and the rear fish tailed hard to the right, and bottom of right rear wheel slammed against a low guardrail, and then bounced off hard (or I counter steered to far) and rear then fish tailed hard to left and felt it in steering. Initially the only visual damage was the lower strut (spindle support rod) which bend like a boomerang, resulting in taking the wheel camber (bottom in) about 3 inches. So I replaced the Support Rod, and put camber adjustment back to previous position. There was noise off/on nosie each tiome wheel turned 360 degrees. Further investigation showed the Hub/bearring was now bend (at lug nut plate) causing the brake pads to be rubbed when rotor came around. So, I replaced the Hub/Bearring assembly. Next, I observed two things... 1) Looks like Camber is still a bit off, going to far in at bottom of wheel. and 2) The distance between the tire top and the Fender above it, is about 2 inched greater on the right side, than on the left side. Im having a hard time figuring out why the body is sitting higher on the right side. Visually I cant see anything else bent. I realize I can still adjust the camber adjustment bolt more than normal to help bring the wheel camber back closer to where it should be, But Im hesitant to make any final Camber and/or Alignment adjustments until Im certain there is nothing else I need to remove or replace in suspension that might be out of whack. I measured the distance from spring edge to first mount point toward middle and compared the distance for right and left sides of car, and they were equal, so it appears spring is still centered properly. I also visually inspected Spindle, Ujoint, and drive axel and it appears fine.

Currently, I raised the right and left rear by putting jack stands under the two jack points (right in front of rear wheels under body). I then put two jacks under each wheel knuckle, and jacked each side up to 17.5" what looked like a typical natural ride height. (body raised off jack stands by a few millimetters.) This allowed easy inspection of car, and to run the wheels.

So my questions are....
1) Any idea what might be causing the right rear side of body to sit 2" higher than the left, and is there a way to adjust that?

2) Any ideas on any other possible damage that might be contributing to the bottom of the wheel going inward more than it should, (at its previous camber adjustment)? Im not totally sure if camber is off, or if the wheel just isnt pivoting high enough up.

If the wheel would pivot higher, it would naturally cause the bottom of the wheel to move outward.

Next, While I have the tie rod off, I was gonna remove the sway bar mount also, and see if the body rests at the right height, while supporting car under the two knuckles (at the 17.5").

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear suspension/wheel repair