C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

installing backup light switch 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Larry McIntosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing backup light switch 6speed

I was wondering if there is any issues on installing the backup light on my 1996 CE six speed. I know the switch is bad, and have a new one coming. The Chevy dealer said there might be some issues inside the transmission, I have my doubts, but would like any information. Thanks Larry
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry McIntosh
I was wondering if there is any issues on installing the backup light on my 1996 CE six speed. I know the switch is bad, and have a new one coming. The Chevy dealer said there might be some issues inside the transmission, I have my doubts, but would like any information. Thanks Larry
The ZF B/U light switch hasn't been available for quite a number of years. Post the part # of what you buy before tearing into the job. I would consider after you remove the old switch just soaking the ball (detent) and reusing the old one. There are likely "no issues" in the transmission. Could there be? Certainly but I'd wager against it. You've confirmed the connector already at the switch is good?

It can be a nuisance installing the switch. It's high on the left side front of the transmission and there's a specialty 22mm socket that makes life good. It can be accomplished with out it though. Some I believe mention that if the slave is dropped/loosened it can be accomplished. The swivel type box-end wrench I understand works.

Corvette Central I believe still might have a B/U light switch that will work. It has a 6" or so pigtail on it but the effective length and the thread size are correct. Their part #: 594347 There are resellers that buy theirs and ask $95+ for the part. Claim it's original ZF!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry McIntosh
I was wondering if there is any issues on installing the backup light on my 1996 CE six speed.
Getting access to the switch itself up in the tunnel
Is metric , not imp hex M22 ?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1580875046-post2.html

Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Larry McIntosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default backup switch

Thanks for the reply. I am not use to wrenching like I was when I was young, working on my 62, 66 78 vettes. I am 78 and got under the vette and found the backup switch. Man talk about engineering, they must have had their brains up their asses. I did not get it out, and I still can't figure how to get a wrench on it. My new switch does not look anything like to one that is on the transmission, but I think the thread is the same. The electrical connection is the same, anyway I will still try to get a wrench to fit. As far as the taking of the valve on the clutch, a sure am glad I don't have to discount the lines. I probably won't have back up lights anytime soon. Wish I had some of you young guys to put this on.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I got one of the last AC/Delco switches from distribution a couple of years ago. I borrowed the wrench from the ZF doc. I just paid the shipping to and from his shop. That wrench made the job turn from a nightmare to a pleasure to do. Dropping the slave cylinder does allow for a bit more space to work.

Warren
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I know this sounds like BS in a bottle, but my switch went intermittent / bad and I was dreading changing it too. I just did without for a couple of weeks while I did other things, one of them was change the trans oil. I switched from the Castrol (BMW) oil to the AmsOil Manual Synchromesh oil and after it was in there for a couple of days, the switch started working again. I guess the AmsOil must have cleaned and unstuck stuck detent ball, but it's been working ever since.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
I guess the AmsOil must have cleaned and unstuck stuck detent ball, but it's been working ever since.
I'll take the endorsement!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry: That's cool you can still get under the car! There's guys 1/3 your age that don't do that.

Get notified of new replies

To installing backup light switch 6speed

Quick Reply: installing backup light switch 6speed