1st Autox in 7 years!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default 1st Autox in 7 years!!

I used to autox all the time. I started in the early 90's back in Mass (New England Region) with a Trans Am and had a blast with that car. Then I moved to UT and continued the fun out here with the T/A, then a Camaro.

I thought I reached my 'pinnacle" when I bought my C6, and took it to it's first autox. That was the last autox I did, until today. The C6 really wasn't any fun to autox. It didn't do well (for some reason). Then Miller Motorsports Park came on line and I turned my attention to track days. Got the C4, sold the C6, then moved to the middle of f'n nowhere (SW Colorado) and finally just moved back to UT this spring. Since I'm back in civilization, I'm taking advantage of it all, and autox is part of that. Today was my first back.

It was awesome. The car exceeded my expectations. Suspension is the "base", all original except for Koni shocks, C5 brakes, and we're on real, nothing special street tires (Bridgestone RE760). The course was around 1 minute long. Most of the "serious" cars (slicks, lowered, sponsors, etc) were running in the 53-56 seconds. There was a heavily modified BSP LT4 'Vette that was running 54. I ran a 55.9.

It was hot in SLC today (mid 90's) and we "dual drove" the car -my wife and I. Those of you familiar know that a dual driven car doesn't rest; you come in from a lap, park, switch drivers, stage and hit the gas for another lap. For all you cooling system folks, the original, stock radiator never let the temp go above 215 today. Car did GOOD.

I love this thing!!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very impressive numbers man, especially if the "serious" cars ran in the 53-56 sec. range.

Looks like an LT1 car?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nice numbers. AS four seconds off FTD?.
Sounds like a good equalizer course.

Nice work
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Now that's what I'm planning to try my hand at!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Nice numbers. AS four seconds off FTD?.
Sounds like a good equalizer course.

Nice work
It was a fast course w/mostly sweepers and no 180* boxes (hairpins). So it was good course for me, and the car.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Matthew_EOD
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been wnting to autox mine, maybe we should get together sometime.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Do it. It's fun, it's virtually risk free. It's cheap.

I'm game to get together, any time.

I forget to post about a "story" from the day.
While working my work station, "Corner 5", I was watching a ~mid 2000's Sentra hustling toward my turn. About when he gets to the brake point, I hear this:
"Cha-*****! ba-bang, bam -bam-bam-bam!"
...and blue smokes and a stream of oil starts POURING from under the car. Car goes another 50' and then as the course turns, he goes straight to exit course, and BAM!! All hell breaks loose under that car, the remainder of the oil dumps instantly in one spot and this lands on the ground:

The wrist pin came out about 100' earlier -about where the first audible commotion (and oil leakage) started. There was a pretty good pile of engine parts strewn across about 200' of asphalt that we picked up. Mostly what looked like aluminum oil pan and maybe some of the block. For mechanical parts though, it was just the rod pictured above, and the wrist pin. Don't know why that happened. I've never seen an engine take a dump like that before...and certainly a stock or stockish engine! Crazy.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

You guys have it easy competing with the imports, our group is all vettes. Sometimes over a hundred a day.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool, I haven't been to one in about that long as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
1984crossfirefuelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would a crossfire do? Probably 1:10
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Well Nelson....you F'ed yet another perfectly good thread. How about you stick to keeping your stupid posts in the stupid threads that YOU start, and stay out of mine. K? Thanks,
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Glad you had fun Tom. I know my 93 with its Z07 springs/bars/alignment/Dunlap ZII's in 255/40/17 can hold its own against MUCH newer machinery and some cars running R-comps. C4's are GREAT auto-x cars.

A properly setup C4 with a good driver is a auto-x weapon. Not too many folks running them these days so its fun to be different.

Mine is slowly becoming a BSP car. Someday I'll be one R-comps, but I need work on the car and driver first. Street tires don't mask the mistakes as much.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

That's awesome.

I'm planning to pick up a C4 to autocross. Just need to find a cheap z51 car, would prefer stick but sometimes beggars can't be choosers. If I can't find one by/in winter I may have to go automatic.

How are you allowed to run C5 brakes in the stock class though? :P
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 AM
1984crossfirefuelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing stock about a stock class. Maybe he is cheating or nobody cares. I bet nobody cares.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Glad you had fun Tom. I know my 93 with its Z07 springs/bars/alignment/Dunlap ZII's in 255/40/17 can hold its own against MUCH newer machinery and some cars running R-comps. C4's are GREAT auto-x cars.

A properly setup C4 with a good driver is a auto-x weapon. Not too many folks running them these days so its fun to be different.

Mine is slowly becoming a BSP car. Someday I'll be one R-comps, but I need work on the car and driver first. Street tires don't mask the mistakes as much.
My car has slowly changed into an autox only car, didn't plan it but it happen. Btw once you run slicks you will never go back.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Not too many folks running them these days so its fun to be different.
That is an interesting point you make, and you're right. Like I said, there was only one other C4 there -that heavily modded BSP. What is interesting is that there were quite a few people that day, who commented on the car and how they were glad to see a C4 represented there. I thought that was a curious thing for them to say, but now I better understand why they were saying it; not many there anymore.

Originally Posted by FAUEE
How are you allowed to run C5 brakes in the stock class though? :P
Yep. Good call. No one cared. And b/c of the above, I doubt anyone there knows what C5 brakes are. The guy doing tech that owns an EVO certainly doesn't know. I mean...the caliper says "CORVETTE" on it...it must be stock! Anyway, I didn't say anything about it for the following reasons:
1. I'm knew that I wouldn't be setting any FTD's
2. I'm not going to be upsetting anyone's points
3. My wife and I were the only car in A Stock anyway.
4. Don't forget about the wheels! Rear's are 18" -Not stock. I think that alone would have put me into BSP. (?) Technically.

If I went enough to accumulate points that matter, I'd fess up about my wheels and brakes. And then if points matter, I'd have to of course, mod the car to maximize it's potential for BSP, which I don't want to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Yep. Good call. No one cared. And b/c of the above, I doubt anyone there knows what C5 brakes are. The guy doing tech that owns an EVO certainly doesn't know. I mean...the caliper says "CORVETTE" on it...it must be stock! Anyway, I didn't say anything about it for the following reasons:
1. I'm knew that I wouldn't be setting any FTD's
2. I'm not going to be upsetting anyone's points
3. My wife and I were the only car in A Stock anyway.
4. Don't forget about the wheels! Rear's are 18" -Not stock. I think that alone would have put me into BSP. (?) Technically.

If I went enough to accumulate points that matter, I'd fess up about my wheels and brakes. And then if points matter, I'd have to of course, mod the car to maximize it's potential for BSP, which I don't want to do.
That's cool, I figured as much (from what I've read, stock class is on the honor system anyways).

When I was looking at the rules it seemed like there's no middle ground between stock and super friggin race prepared. It'd be nice if they have a class that was simple bolt-on type class. Stock size tires, intake, exhaust, tune, short shifter or automatic shift kit, upgraded brakes, upgraded swaybars and bushings, and maybe a certain amount of weight reduction allowed (like a few hundred pounds or so). Seems like if you don't run in stock you have to run against heavily modified cars in every other class - from the cars that are probably not really ok to drive on the road in SP to the cars that are really not ok for the road in ST.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Autox in 7 years!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
That's cool, I figured as much (from what I've read, stock class is on the honor system anyways).

When I was looking at the rules it seemed like there's no middle ground between stock and super friggin race prepared. It'd be nice if they have a class that was simple bolt-on type class. Stock size tires, intake, exhaust, tune, short shifter or automatic shift kit, upgraded brakes, upgraded swaybars and bushings, and maybe a certain amount of weight reduction allowed (like a few hundred pounds or so). Seems like if you don't run in stock you have to run against heavily modified cars in every other class - from the cars that are probably not really ok to drive on the road in SP to the cars that are really not ok for the road in ST.

If you have a C4 the class you are looking for is BSP in the SCCA and
2E in NCCC. Not sure what the class is in NASA. For a C5 or C6 the classes would be different. And as far as being honest on mods, nobody cares until you are competitive.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by kimmer
My car has slowly changed into an autox only car, didn't plan it but it happen. Btw once you run slicks you will never go back.
Right there with you! I still like driving to and from an event without having to change tires, so I'm still on street tread (although 315s). Plus it's fun to try to run down guys on slicks...even more so when you beat them! Not that it happens all that often.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
Right there with you! I still like driving to and from an event without having to change tires, so I'm still on street tread (although 315s). Plus it's fun to try to run down guys on slicks...even more so when you beat them! Not that it happens all that often.
The satisfaction from running down and beating guys on slicks with street tires........

I agree with you kimmer, I NEVER had any intentions to do this, if I had I would have done things differently when I bought the car.

@Tom, yeah, but as you noted the BSP C4, was still VERY FAST and capable of running with the Big Dogs of Super Stock and so forth.

@FAUEE, your describing BSP class more or less with your description.

Quick Reply: 1st Autox in 7 years!!