C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Green Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Green Corvette

I read the people at GM want to give us a green Corvette. I am not talking about color but a Hybrid model. I also read 56% of those asked think its a great idea. I doubt those asked were Corvette owners. What am I missing? Do you buy a Corvette for gas milage? Judging by the prices of a new C7 if you can afford a new Corvette gas money should not be and issue. If it is you probably should be more responsible and buy a different car. As I understand things the new Corvette gets the best gas milage of any ever built. Who thinks up this stuff
Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Who thinks up this stuff
Greenie weenies who think the planet needs saving.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Give me a Corvette that is fast and handles well, I wouldn't object to 50 MPG. The whole "green" thing....I'm indifferent to it. The planet was around for millions of years before 7 billion rapidly replicating homo sapien primates covered it....and it will be around long after we're gone. That said, I won't sacrifice performance for the sake of being "green", but if they can do both at the same or similar cost, why not?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
SeeFourSix
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The whole green thing is like trying to cool your house with an ice cube. As long as politics are involved, there will always be wacko ideas and regulations.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Maybe Mark Reuss andthe green weinies at GM want us to think we need a hybrid Corvette, but I think the engineering is going to be a real problem in a platform that is anything like what Corvette is now. Even the idea of a V6 with turbos didn't go over well.

Corvette has been certified as a Low Emissions Vehicle for a few years and cold start emissions are significantly lower in the C7 compared to the C6. As far as things like gas mileage, the C7 is supposed to get more than the average 26 MPG advertised for the C6. That's a pretty high figure for a 450+ HP motor that still uses pushrods.

Maybe hybrids work in daily drivers and commuter applications, but how many owners of a hybrid Corvette would keep their foot out of the gas considering what the car is built for? Sure you can get sruck in traffic and go slow, but there will always be freeway on-ramps, cars to pass on back roads, twisty roads, and HPDE's. Just doesn't seem like a car that needs batteries to drive it....
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Corporate and marketing types (they all go to the same schools) have decided that "green sells". Its basically a buzz word that signifies everything and means nothing. Its a fad that comes around every generation or so as people who grow up with it get nostalgic for things when they get in positions of influence, generally 20-25 years. Being Green means you care! (and usually a sucker for hype).
Old 09-01-2013, 03:21 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know about hybrid, but if they made a full electric C7 with the same or better performance specs as a top of the line Tesla Model S, it might do pretty well.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by csthews
I don't know about hybrid, but if they made a full electric C7 with the same or better performance specs as a top of the line Tesla Model S, it might do pretty well.
Assuming they could conquer the following...

1. Range
2. Recharge Time
3. Cost of vehicle
4. Cost of replacement batteries.

Performance of full electrics has never been a problem. Nobody wants a 3 hour "refuel" time....or even a 20 minute one....on a long trip.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM
zblack blur1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Lets face reality...IMHO Gas prices are going to continue upward, All of us rich or poorer are going to feel the effect. A GREEN corvette is a marketing strategy that may or may not work. And I have to concure with Frizlefrack,if we can get the same performance and the gas milage , why not?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This sounds like "Government Motors" at work, to me.

This will go down just like the Chevy "Volt".

(It would be nice to have numbers like this without any charging issues)

Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Reasons

Originally Posted by ps374
Do you buy a Corvette for gas milage?
Well I just bought my first Vette, an 86 convertible with a Tremec 5 speed. Did mileage come into play on my decision - yes. I was looking for a driver, something for occasional trips and dependability, fun, being able to run 87 octane gas, look good and get good mileage all factor into the mix. I outgrew hot rodding 40+ years ago, I'm into drivers now.

Get notified of new replies

To Green Corvette

Quick Reply: Green Corvette