C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need suspension info:

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Need suspension info:

I have been shopping for front suspension bushings,balljoints, tie-rods to overhaul the 85 front suspension that will be used on my 62 build.
However, I have seen vendors list these parts as being different from year to year,some from 84-85, 86-87, 84-87 and 88-96 and then the same vendosr list same parts as fitting 84-96. I'm now confused as to what fits what and if there is any difference at all in these parts between any C4 model years. I know the cradle change in 88 that pushed the controls arms out a bit,but what else?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
I have been shopping for front suspension bushings,balljoints, tie-rods to overhaul the 85 front suspension that will be used on my 62 build.
However, I have seen vendors list these parts as being different from year to year,some from 84-85, 86-87, 84-87 and 88-96 and then the same vendosr list same parts as fitting 84-96. I'm now confused as to what fits what and if there is any difference at all in these parts between any C4 model years. I know the cradle change in 88 that pushed the controls arms out a bit,but what else?
Tie rods (outer) - no issues, ball joints - no issues, tie rods (inner) - require confirmation BUT since by "your own" research you see issues for bushings, I'd decide on the "branding" and work with the *vendor. You measure the control arms you have and are using, confirm with the vendor, purchase and move on.

*vendor not the "reseller"!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Tie rods (outer) - no issues, ball joints - no issues, tie rods (inner) - require confirmation BUT since by "your own" research you see issues for bushings, I'd decide on the "branding" and work with the *vendor. You measure the control arms you have and are using, confirm with the vendor, purchase and move on.

*vendor not the "reseller"!
So.... You are not sure if the control arms bushing are different from year to year? I believe the inner tie rods are a bit longer starting with the 88 model. Your right, you can't ask the reseller as most have no clue.Im sure someone in the company knows,but the poor girl that answers the tech line knows only whats on the item description.. Questions like these are too difficult for them. I frustrated because it seems in the last few years I have to return 50% of what I buy due to incorrect description. I surely miss the days that you were able to go to a part store,show the guy at the counter what you wanted,then he would reach up his behind and pull one out. Today no ones stocks nothing,everything has to be order, is a good thing, brings cost down I've told.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Your trying to use OEM rubber? Not the easiest parts to find as you well know.
Most if not all the rubbers are out of production and the aftermarket is not interested in tooling up for the red-headed step child.
I suggest you switch to poly.

The front control arm bushings are like same.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Your trying to use OEM rubber? Not the easiest parts to find as you well know.
Most if not all the rubbers are out of production and the aftermarket is not interested in tooling up for the red-headed step child.
I suggest you switch to poly.

The front control arm bushings are like same.

No, Not trying to use oem rubber. I know they are not available. If they were I would use them,because my car is just going to be a cruisedon'td I dont have the need for what ever amount operformancerefomace poly gives you when compare to the noise that some of the cheaper poly make.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
I believe the inner tie rods are a bit longer starting with the 88 model.
I was NOT speaking about length - you mentioned '85 and I limited by remarks to '85. I believe there's 2 types of inner tie rods for '85 - early with a female thread to the rack and late with a male thread to the rack.

You mentioned "your research" suggested there were possible differences so I suggested you pick the "composition" and the "vendor" and work with the vendor, that has nothing to do with what I think or would do.

I believe a resourceful person could find an "off the shelf" bushing that could work with the control arms. Would the control-arm need "reamed"? Maybe. Would the upper shaft need modified? Maybe. I've never pressed the bushings out of a C4 control arm to measure but I've done similar to other projects. The lowers seem like they might be maybe easier. Don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To Need suspension info:

Quick Reply: Need suspension info: