Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Exhaust header shield noise

Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
powerconversion
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust header shield noise

The stamped metal clamshell design heat shields on each exhaust header of my 86 C4 standard 5.7l motor with iron heads are decomposing/loose and rattle excessively against the exhaust headers. I have been unable to manipulate the shields to make them quiet. I am considering removing them entirely as I question their real value to protecting the plug wires
and boots from the radiant heat off the headers. Wires are OEM AC Delco. I am thinking the wires have enough high temp
withstand even for their boot location being close to the headers. I have not toasted plug wires on legacy motors in 60's cars with plug location in close proximity to exhaust headers that have no heat shields.
Am I about to make a mistake?
Powerconversion
Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

hey bud use thermal wrap from the parts store about $40/$50 youll be good to go. fyi you may need to pull the header to get em TIGHT
Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM
powerconversion
5th Gear

Thanks. Might try that. I have a bunch left over from a v-twin straight pipe wrap from another project. Pretty unsightly stuff except for a rat bike (which it was) but effective. It will be interesting to see if others have experienced burning up their plug wires on C4's after taking the shields off and under what conditions - normal use -racing - casual driving etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

there was another guy who had installed hooker longs on his and it started burning some wire, heat shields are generally there to keep ambient temperatures down it sort of keeps the radiant heat of the manifold out of the engine bay and also as a barrier to protect the delicates.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust header shield noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust header shield noise