C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear Hatch Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
a_hogdriver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Release

On my '95 over the past year or so, the rear hatch began having difficulty opening. I would have to hold the keyfob hatch release button down longer and longer. At first, it would take holding the keyfob button down for 3 to 5 seconds to open the latch. Then it finally got to about 12 to 15 seconds to open the hatch. Well, now neither the keyfob or console release button works. The hatch will not open.

So I pulled out the manuals and it says to check the electric or mechanical mechanism. Well, I assume it's the electrical solenoid, because, I do hear the relay "clicking" repeatedly when I hold down either the keyfob or console release buttons. So, I reached in and pulled the cable release from the interior. This released the hatch latch and I was finally able to get to the solenoid.

Question 1: The actually cable coming out of the solenoid is only about 5 or 6 inches long. Is this only for manual release if the electrical systems are not functioning or is this cable supposed to be connected to another mechanism? It seems the electrical connection to the solenoid should be the one that actually opens the latch and not this cable. The cable is for manual use only. Is this correct?

Question 2: How would I test the solenoid once it is out of the car?

Question 3: If the solenoid is inoperative, how do I replace it? Note: I called the local dealer and he said this part is discontinued. Reference: Part No. 110238313.

Thanks
Hogdriver
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Question 1: It's an emergency hatch release if the solenoid doesn't work.

Question 2: Measure the resistance of the coil with an ohmmeter. I don't know offhand what it should measure, probably something under 50 ohms. As long as it's not open it's probably OK. You could also apply 12 volts to it to see what happens. It's pretty strong, so it makes a BIG click.

Question 3: You unbolt the latch mechanism and then unbolt the solenoid from there. I replaced mine about 5 years ago. I got it from one of the big Corvette parts suppliers.

There is an article around here somewhere on how to take the solenoid apart and fix it. It pays to have a good collection of bookmarks, so here ya go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...id-repair.html

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 11-01-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 PM
a_hogdriver
Intermediate

Default Rear Hatch Release Mechanism

Thanks Cliff!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a good spare solenoid if you need one.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM
a_hogdriver
Intermediate

Default Spare Rear Hatch Release Mech

Churchkey

How much would you charge me for one of those? I'm interested.

Hogdriver

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Release

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Release