C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Windshield wipers stutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 AM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wipers stutter

I purchased a '96 CE several months ago. I don't take it out out in the rain much because the windshield wiper blades stutter and occasionally the tips catch and they really bounce around. I've tried many window cleaners, tried Rain-X, replaced the blades (twice) and clay bar'd the windshield. Using the clay bar helped reduce the problem some but didn't fix it. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of blades are you using? I personally never take mine out in the rain, so I replaced them with the stock rubber ones, but you might try silicone ones.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1996.html
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Thanks, I didn't notice those in the Eckler's catalog and purchased the stock rubber ones. I also tried a new pair of AC Delco's from Davie's. I guess I should try one more new pair of the silicone ones.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tarpon
I purchased a '96 CE several months ago. I don't take it out out in the rain much because the windshield wiper blades stutter and occasionally the tips catch and they really bounce around. I've tried many window cleaners, tried Rain-X, replaced the blades (twice) and clay bar'd the windshield. Using the clay bar helped reduce the problem some but didn't fix it. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
many of us who have this problem replace the left blade with one an inch shorter
Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
many of us who have this problem replace the left blade with one an inch shorter
Agree with the 1 inch shorter blade, AND regularly CLEAN each blade's rubber contact that actually touches the windshield.

If you don't clean the contact surface, it tends to "stick" as the arm tries to cycle across the windshield surface.

If you don't shorten at least one of the blades, the first time either one "sticks" to the windshield during cycling, the 2 blades will collide, and one or both gets BENT. Once one or both get bent, they'll never work reliably again.

Jim G
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Wipe both dry blades with Armor All. Let it dry. Then use the wipers on a wet windshield. It not only helps with chatter, but rain just beads up and blows off the windshield after you've done this.
Jim's advice on keeping everything clean also goes a long way towards free-working wipers.

Larry
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A new windshield and fresh Rain-X blades was miserable to drive.
I left the wipers running while washing the car and soaping the windshield.
Took a few months of this on the DD before the blades and glass settled in.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 AM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Thanks for all the good suggestions. As y'all know, in Florida you never know when you could be driving in rain. Hopefully, I'll be following up with a positive result soon.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is the angle at which the blade attacks the windshield. When the wipers are turned off, inner edge of the blade is always facing up. After years of this, the upper edge of the metal arm gets slightly twisted toward the hood. When the wipers are subsequently turned on again, it's like combing one's hair against the grain.

In order to have a smooth wiper the rubber blade MUST be perfectly perpendicular to the glass surface. To return it to the proper angle, place two adjustable wrenches, held a few inches apart on the wiper arm. Then while holding the one closest to the pivot point stable, turn the one closest to the wiper blade slightly toward the windshield.

Lower the wiper and check to see if the blade edge lands perpendicular to the glass surface. Repeat until the blade is perfect. Salt to taste, and you're ready to serve.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wipers stutter

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers stutter