Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Photoshop experts: Looking for your expertise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Photoshop experts: Looking for your expertise.

A quick Google search has always been able to bring up an image of what I'm looking for (or close to it) - but on this particular occasion, I haven't had much luck, so I'm wondering if there are any PhotoShop experts in here that could help me out with a visual of some sort.

The situation: I'm looking to purchase a carbon fiber hood for my '92. The car's jet black in colour and the hood I'm looking to purchase is offered in either a "clear-coat" finish - which allows the carbon fiber material to be seen through the clear, or a slightly more affordable "gel-coat" finish, made to be painted by the customer.

What I'm wondering is, what would a carbon fiber hood look like on my black C4 if I ordered it with the clear finish? Good? Bad?

Would I be better off just buying the gel-coated version and have the hood painted to match the rest of the car? It's hard to visualize what it would look like as I have no means of reference. I've never seen a C4 with a carbon fiber hood so I'm curious to know what it would look like.

Again, an image search brought back zero results which leads me to believe that carbon fiber hoods on C4's are few and far between so that's why I'm requesting help from the Photoshop experts.

Below are some pictures I've included. 3 are of my car and the fourth is a picture of the hood I'm plan on ordering.

The "head-on" shot of my car is a fairly close angle to the picture of the hood itself. The frontal view may be the easiest of the three photo's to manipulate...

As for the side shots, any of the two will do. Maybe someone can copy the weave pattern of the pictured hood and apply it to the side-view of one of the photo's?

Edit: - P.S. - Pretty sure the headlight panels are offered in carbon fiber as well so a Photoshop WITH carbon fiber panels to match the hood would be great.

The hood I plan on buying:

My car: View number 1

View number 2

View number 3

Last edited by LT1*C4; 11-19-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Dang! That is a sweet looking C4! Looks like you could swim in that paint.
That said, why do you want to go to CF?
IMO, the CF/clear-coat would look odd on the car. I would paint to match. Or better yet, just leave what you've got.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with the CF look what will you do with the headlight doors do they offer them in CF also ? If it were me I would stick with what you have it looks great now. You could also paint the hood and leave the center section CF
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Dang! That is a sweet looking C4! Looks like you could swim in that paint.
That said, why do you want to go to CF?
IMO, the CF/clear-coat would look odd on the car. I would paint to match. Or better yet, just leave what you've got.

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

Main reason for wanting the hood is weight savings. The carbon fiber hood pictured above weighs just 21 pounds. The factory hood weighs close to 80 pounds. That's a huge weight savings off the front end of the car.

Probably not very important to most 'Vette owners, but I push my car a lot harder than most and being able to squeeze every last ounce of performance from what I already have, is very important to me.

If I can save a substantial amount of weight, (especially if I don't have to sacrifice any creature comforts to get it) - I'm all for it.

As for the look, that's why I requested a Photoshop. Makes no difference to me one way or another in terms of price difference between the visible weave pattern or body coloured options. If one looks better than the other, I'll go with it.

The real reason for the hood however, is weight savings...

Originally Posted by floridamale
If you go with the CF look what will you do with the headlight doors do they offer them in CF also ? If it were me I would stick with what you have it looks great now. You could also paint the hood and leave the center section CF
As far as I know, the headlight panels are offered in carbon as well. At least they were when the company first started making these hoods. Will have to confirm first...

Painting the hood and leaving the center section carbon is also an option, but a Photoshop of that would be required as well for me to get an idea...

Last edited by LT1*C4; 11-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Not to scale, did it in 1 minute. Not in the mood for playing right now.

No charge

I think it would look fugly.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sexy car! Where are you buying your hood from? And also, how much? I'm thinking about getting this hood eventually, but I'm going to have to paint it because I've got a white car.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Originally Posted by PLRX
"...Did it in 1 minute. Not in the mood for playing right now"...."think it would look fugly..."

Thanks for the effort. It's enough to give me a rough idea of what to expect. As I mentioned earlier, the headlight panels would most likely be carbon as well, but close enough...

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
Sexy car! Where are you buying your hood from? And also, how much? I'm thinking about getting this hood eventually, but I'm going to have to paint it because I've got a white car.
Clear coat is $4200 plus shipping.

Paintable finish is $3200 plus shipping.

Will get back to you on the vendor. Not on my personal computer right now and the name escapes me ( its been a long day at work today and my brain is fried. - )

Last edited by LT1*C4; 11-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Clear coat is $4200 plus shipping.

Paintable finish is $3200 plus shipping.

Will get back to you on the vendor. Not on my personal computer right now and the name escapes me ( its been a long day at work today and my brain is fried. - )
Wow, I was not expecting that. I know Exotic Muscle sells one for a little over $2,000. I'll have to look into this a little more.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

I think it would look fugly.

Even with CF headlight covers, the bumper would look strange next to the hood. I would imagine the side gill covers would also look strange. Save your money for paint.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

DAMN! Your '92 is sweet!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Docderek05
Racer

if anything..I have seen CF wraps on the halo..but too much for the hood imo, but again..only my opinion.. I think a nice CF halo, and lip spoiler would set that off...really well..
but to go whole hood..Hmmm...I can understand the weight savings..but I think..more power..mechanically would overcome any weight issues.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

Main reason for wanting the hood is weight savings. The carbon fiber hood pictured above weighs just 21 pounds. The factory hood weighs close to 80 pounds. That's a huge weight savings off the front end of the car.

Probably not very important to most 'Vette owners, but I push my car a lot harder than most and being able to squeeze every last ounce of performance from what I already have, is very important to me.

If I can save a substantial amount of weight, (especially if I don't have to sacrifice any creature comforts to get it) - I'm all for it.

As for the look, that's why I requested a Photoshop. Makes no difference to me one way or another in terms of price difference between the visible weave pattern or body coloured options. If one looks better than the other, I'll go with it.

The real reason for the hood however, is weight savings...

As far as I know, the headlight panels are offered in carbon as well. At least they were when the company first started making these hoods. Will have to confirm first...

Painting the hood and leaving the center section carbon is also an option, but a Photoshop of that would be required as well for me to get an idea...
OK, now get back over to the FI/Nitrous Section and give us an update on the S/C install. You've done some great work on your Vette.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow. Can I assume that your paint job on that car is not factory? What a clean car.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by CDN/AZ LT4
OK, now get back over to the FI/Nitrous Section and give us an update on the S/C install. You've done some great work on your Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Photoshop experts: Looking for your expertise.

Quick Reply: Photoshop experts: Looking for your expertise.