C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Automatic downshifting and poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Idlewild294
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic downshifting and poor acceleration

Forgive me for my ignorance.... I recently acquired a 1995 C4 with a rebuilt automatic transmission. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a 19 yr old car, but acceleration at WOT at various rolling speeds has me wondering if something isn't right. For instance, at 60 mph when I go full throttle the car will downshift and the lower gear feels really slow until it upshifts and then it feels like it accelerates faster and harder. I get the same feeling when I give it full throttle at about 20 mph. I get the sensation that based on the sound of the motor and increased RPMs that I should feel some acceleration, but I don't get that feeling until it advances to the next gear. I've only driven C5s, and I've never driven an auto Corvette so I have no way of comparing. At certain speeds am I catching the gears just right where the lower gear is at too high of an RPM to have that hard acceleration or pull until it up shifts to the next gear? Am I on to something, or is this normal for a automatic C4? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Replace the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure. Also check for plugged cats/exhaust.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ZR1 Fred.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gearing may also be a contributor.

My 92 convertible with automatic came with the optional "performance" axle raio, which was STILL only a 2.73 ratio! The stock non-performance option ratio would have been 2.5X!

I swapped to a 3.54 and that turned an ok car into a super nimble and responsive car. Mind you, that's not a cheap mod. But, I would never consider going back to the 2.73

Jim G

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic downshifting and poor acceleration

Quick Reply: Automatic downshifting and poor acceleration