C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 CE White corrosion spots on underbody

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 96 CE White corrosion spots on underbody

The 96 CE (with only 27K on it) I recently picked up has what appears to be white corrosion dots in various areas on the underbody. The Previous Owner spent alot of time deep sea fishing, so I suspect the car sat in the marina parking lot and picked up some salt there. I've grudgedly ran the car through a car wash and had the underbody flushed,but most of the dots remain. I dont see any red-brown rust on any metal underneath, just the white spots...

I've hit an are a witha scrubbing sponge, to some limited success, but can I use the phosphate based rust converters to convert / seal the areas to any further corrosion? Any other suggestions? Im planning on using it as an everyday car next spring, so I'm not thinking complete restoration here.

My main concern is the metal lines with the spiral wire armour around them.

TIA
Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you post a picture?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE it's CORROSION?

It's possible to get that effect simply by driving over a substance spill or paint spill on the highway, or potentially even over a just-painted lane marking.

Think about the number of times we've all gotten tar deposits on the body behind the wheels after driving on just-paved roads. You may be seeing something similar here but different in color.

Corrosion in general doesn't look white in color does it? Yes, in northern winter climates you get road salt/chemical deposits that need to be rinsed off frequently to stop corrosion from getting a hold, but that doesn't sound lie it applies in your geographic area!

Jim G

Get notified of new replies

To 96 CE White corrosion spots on underbody

Quick Reply: 96 CE White corrosion spots on underbody