C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Advice and dealership info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 AM
JCE
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice and dealership info needed

Hello all. A 92-96 C4 AT is on my short list of vehicles I will purchase to be my daily driver in 2014. Between the wife and I we've had several "modern" cars as daily drivers and frankly I'm personally sick of them. I miss the days of reliable anti-technology ownership. I drove my '90 Camaro RS 305 V8 from Jan. 2000 until Dec 2010 trouble and problem free. I miss it and the feeling of an older American RWD V8 without all the technology nonsense that is in modern cars.

So, I'm going to get a low mileage well taken care of an older American RWD V8. My short list is a 90-93 5.0 Mustang LX coupe, another 1990-1992 V8 3rd gen Fbody, a 1998-2002 V8 4th gen and a 1992-1996 C4 Vette. All with an auto transmission.

I have a tiny bit of experience driving these cars but it is limited. I got my mother a '92 C4 in 2000 with 36k miles. It was a good deal at the time...but I have no idea what they are worth 14 years later. She never experienced any mechanical issues so I have no idea if this is the case across the board? My commute is less than 15 miles one way and it's 99% highway and not in rush hour so I'm not too worried about wear and tear. Any advice beyond the usual check the electrics and test drive it? Any common issues to look for?

Also, lastly, do any of you have any experience with Corvettes of Dallas? They seem to get late C4's all the time but I'm not sure if they are reputable or not. Thank you for reading.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't speak about the other cars on your list, but the C4's you mention are not exactly low tech if that is what you are looking for.
92-96 C4's have an engine computer, CCM (body computer), ABS/traction control, some will also have electronic climate control, tire pressure monitoring system, ride control, and passive keyless entry all electronically controlled.
All but the 96 are OBDI so scan tools that will access the data are somewhat limited, except for a few expensive professional grade scan tools those that will read engine codes and data will not read the other controllers.
Your call of course.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
JCE
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider the C4 low tech compared to what I've had to deal with since 2010 when I stopped using my Camaro. Plus from what I've been able to read the C4 if low mileage and taken care of is a pretty reliable car is it not?

Plus I'm used to ODBI, I had a 1990 Camaro as a DD for 10 years.

*Edit*
I'm not being derogatory so please do not take it that way. The vehicles I've had were all only a few years old and were loaded to the brim with everything. They were European (German) and Japanese if that helps explain.

Last edited by JCE; 01-04-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice and dealership info needed

Quick Reply: Advice and dealership info needed