ZF6 Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZF6 Question/Help

Hello all,

So I just purchased a 91 Corvette 6 speed with 85K on it. When I accelerate from first gear I get a slight grind when I go to put it in 2nd gear. If I really baby it and shift under like 17MPH it will shift into 2nd gear perfectly fine. I have seen some information on this forum about air in the system and needing to bleed. I have also seen information about the synchronizer for 2nd gear being shot. Also, the CAGS has been jumped out, could this have anything to do with my issue???

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found an easy fix. If the Trans does need to get rebuilt, does anyone know of a place in the Boston area that is knowledgeable working on the ZF6?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by C4tothefloor
Hello all,

So I just purchased a 91 Corvette 6 speed with 85K on it. When I accelerate from first gear I get a slight grind when I go to put it in 2nd gear. If I really baby it and shift under like 17MPH it will shift into 2nd gear perfectly fine. I have seen some information on this forum about air in the system and needing to bleed. I have also seen information about the synchronizer for 2nd gear being shot. Also, the CAGS has been jumped out, could this have anything to do with my issue???

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found an easy fix. If the Trans does need to get rebuilt, does anyone know of a place in the Boston area that is knowledgeable working on the ZF6?

Thanks
The only ZF authorized "distributor" for the ZF S6-40 parts in the US is here:

http://www.rsgear.com/

George if he's still at it is as good as there is in the vicinity. I'd say that's somewhat "local". There very well could be a local that does a quality build also.

You do need to confirm the clutch and the hydraulics are sound and I believe I'd spend a good bit of time with the diagnostics of that first. There's a good bit to check before "over-reacting" maybe.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM
miker2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check your pm's
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by miker2
check your pm's
A "super secret" fix that can't be shared?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have a '91 with the ZF6 speed with 99k. It started to make similar noises after I got stuck in a traffic jam for 30 mins. I had a new clutch put in after getting the noise and it's been great ever since.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

I did a trans fluid change with the ZFdoc BMW 10w-60 as well as replace the clutch master and slave cylinder so as far as I know I have done all that I can do with the clutch hydraulics.

When replacing the trans fluid, I noticed that there were some brass metallic specs in the oil. I am led to believe these are pieces of syncros. Has anyone else seen something like this when replacing trans fluid with bad syncros?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
miker2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
not at all.an offer to sell a 90 zf if he could pick it up in Michigan next spring.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Movnviolation
Pro

About ten years back, my son took out the syncros in 1st and 2nd in my 89. I then pulled my engine and trans for a rebuilt of both. I live on the West coast and everyone said that zf doc in Arizona was about the only way to go for a rebuild. I did not want to go through the trouble of shipping the trans. I talked to a local very reputable trans shop that I have dealt with for a long time. They said that their standard trans guy was very familiar with zf. Ford trucks have been using them for years. I was told that the zf was a good trans. A little noisy and very pricey to rebuild. That was almost ten years ago and the trans shifts like new still. Look around for a good shop.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
clutch dust
Intermediate

I've got a factory brand new ZF6 for sale I'd make you a deal on if you're interested in just swapping your tired one out for a new one, instead of going the expensive rebuild route. I'll ship it free if it'll help.. I was going to install it into my '95 if/when it ever needed it, but as I get older, my ambition to tackle the job is waning...

PM if interested.

-J
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Working with Bill, ZFdoc, now, as I get ready to convert to a ZF6-40. He says the synchros are the weak part of the unit and that the best way to kill the ZF is to not have a perfect clutch. If bleeding fixes it; superb, but don't delay getting it up to snuff.

Parts are high; any foreign parts are + not all shops will tackle the ZF.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by C4tothefloor
I did a trans fluid change with the ZFdoc BMW 10w-60 as well as replace the clutch master and slave cylinder so as far as I know I have done all that I can do with the clutch hydraulics.

When replacing the trans fluid, I noticed that there were some brass metallic specs in the oil. I am led to believe these are pieces of syncros. Has anyone else seen something like this when replacing trans fluid with bad syncros?
In my case, it wasnt the synchros Or hydraulics that was the problem, it was using the bmw 10w-60 crap instead of the fluid that the factory says should be in there.

Im sorry, but i dont agree with bill b about that being acceptable or desireable for the zf6.

I had so much problems with the synchros, under wot, that the shift lever physically would not move into the next gear.

When i went to change that crap out, there was all kinds of bronze glitter in my fluid. (when changing the correct fluid out, the old fluid is virtually clear)

Bill (who has been very helpful to me except for this case) told me to check clutch hydraulics and if those were good then i need to get the zf6 rebuilt at a cost of thousands)

The solution was simply replace the bmw castrol 10w_60 crap with gm syncromesh which is what gm recommends for zf6.

Once i did this, the grinded shifts went away. And also as i mentioned, trans oil changes were clear, free from bronze specs, when the correct stuff is used.

There has been some dumb advice on this forum, and putting bmw motor oil in your zf6 ranks near the top
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

This seems to be a heavily debated topic. I am currently running Amsoil Synchromesh. I am not very happy with the product. It works fine in the cold weather. But in the warm weather, it works fine until the fluids get hot. Then I get grinding going from first to second. I am checking this post to see if there are any updates on recommendations. I did a search on Rockland Standard Gear and they recommend GM 1062931 and Castrol RS only. It looks like the ZF Doc is being vague on recommendations at the moment.
Dizwiz.. What GM part number Synchromesh are you using?

Last edited by mixalive; 02-13-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
In my case, it wasnt the synchros Or hydraulics that was the problem, it was using the bmw 10w-60 crap instead of the fluid that the factory says should be in there.

Im sorry, but i dont agree with bill b about that being acceptable or desireable for the zf6.

I had so much problems with the synchros, under wot, that the shift lever physically would not move into the next gear.

When i went to change that crap out, there was all kinds of bronze glitter in my fluid. (when changing the correct fluid out, the old fluid is virtually clear)

Bill (who has been very helpful to me except for this case) told me to check clutch hydraulics and if those were good then i need to get the zf6 rebuilt at a cost of thousands)

The solution was simply replace the bmw castrol 10w_60 crap with gm syncromesh which is what gm recommends for zf6.

Once i did this, the grinded shifts went away. And also as i mentioned, trans oil changes were clear, free from bronze specs, when the correct stuff is used.

There has been some dumb advice on this forum, and putting bmw motor oil in your zf6 ranks near the top
never tried the BMW oil or the Amsol, but have done multiple ZF trans oil changes with the dealer recommended GM trans fluid. zero problems.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oftentimes it is the simplest of things that cause us grief so always good to start with the basics...have you rechecked your clutch fluid level recently? That one, low clutch fluid level, gets even the best of us sometimes. On mine, I had to slide the ECM over to get at it and the cap was a real bear to get off with quite a bit of concern that it might snap the brittle plastic neck below, but once I did, that did the trick for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LANDSHARK1
Oftentimes it is the simplest of things that cause us grief so always good to start with the basics...have you rechecked your clutch fluid level recently? That one, low clutch fluid level, gets even the best of us sometimes. On mine, I had to slide the ECM over to get at it and the cap was a real bear to get off with quite a bit of concern that it might snap the brittle plastic neck below, but once I did, that did the trick for me.
Thanks for the tip. My clutch slave level is regularly maintained.

Last edited by mixalive; 02-14-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

Does anyone have a part # for the GM Syncromesh trans fluid? Seems like GM makes 2 types.

I had pretty much given up on the trans but I figured it would be worth it to try to remove my BMW 10w-60 fluid (which obviously had mixed reviews) before I go through the expense of replacing the trans all together.

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6 Question/Help

Old 10-22-2014, 03:29 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

When I drained the BMW 60 weight muck out of my balky ZF6, a lot of brass sparkle came out. AmsOil made it shift like butter. It contains an additive to treat brass synchros so the dont wear so much. I've done road racing and long distance travel too so I change it yearly and have had nothing but praise for the product.😍
Old 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

Hmmm that's interesting. I have been flip flopping on either getting the GM Syncromesh or the Penzoil Syncromesh (which seemed to be the same thing just cheaper). I still haven't fully diagnosed my issue but I'm wondering if I put this Amsoil product in my car, if I will still getting the slight grind on 2nd gear?? I don't know at what point the syncros get to the "point of no return".
Old 10-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Chad30021
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I have been told that GM oil is the exact same as penzoil syncromesh . I am finishing up my Zf swap into my 93 this weekend from the 700r4 and plan on using the penzoil lube.I will post updates on how it feels when I take it for its maiden voyage

Quick Reply: ZF6 Question/Help