C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Use Chamois or other

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Use Chamois or other

Until my chamois shredded from years of use I used it to dry my cars.
Are microfibers or terrycloth better for drying? Corvette is black, tough color to keep clean.

Tx for all the responses-I am "old" school and wondered why you don't see chamois mentioned anymore!

I bought an absorber to try, TX

Last edited by Richard Raichert; 01-17-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: responses
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I use a drying cloth called the "Absorber". Works like a chamois but in my opinion MUCH better. Bought one back in 2009 and have been using the same once since. I bought it at Advance Auto for about $10.http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=absorber
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I use a drying cloth called the "Absorber". Works like a chamois but in my opinion MUCH better. Bought one back in 2009 and have been using the same once since. I bought it at Advance Auto for about $10.http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=absorber
I've been using the same product for over 15 years! I like it better than a chamois.

Joel
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
Until my chamois shredded from years of use I used it to dry my cars.
Are microfibers or terrycloth better for drying? Corvette is black, tough color to keep clean.
You will get dozens of different answers, but chamois are OLD SCHOOL. I will never use a chamois on any of my vehicles again,they will give fine scratches to your car, they have nowhere for the fine dirt particles to go. Waffle weave towels have hundreds of pockets to trap any particles left behind. I have a 1990 black Vert and all I use is Adams Great White. You can dry your whole car without wringing it out! It is a waffle weave drying towel & their micro fiber towels are the best. If you do order from them use coupon code "VETTE" for a 10% discount.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLIE PHANATIC
You will get dozens of different answers, but chamois are OLD SCHOOL. I will never use a chamois on any of my vehicles again,they will give fine scratches to your car, they have nowhere for the fine dirt particles to go. Waffle weave towels have hundreds of pockets to trap any particles left behind. I have a 1990 black Vert and all I use is Adams Great White. You can dry your whole car without wringing it out! It is a waffle weave drying towel & their micro fiber towels are the best. If you do order from them use coupon code "VETTE" for a 10% discount.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM
JUSBAD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely " the absorber", lasts for years and does an outstanding job, and I use it on my wife's black SUV as well as my vette
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are any number of synthetic dry cloths that work just fine. I've
used Armor-All brand and The Absorber.

It's important to thoroughly wet these first, then wring them out,
then start drying. When they are dry, they absorb very very slowly. Once
wet and wrung, they suck it up.

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Tribolet; 01-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7

I use the Absorber, as recommended by my gearhead neighbor. I love it. Everyone who washes/dries their own car should have one (or two). My neighbor has used the same one for over a decade, so they last as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One more vote for the Absorber
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I also use the ArmorAll Absorber-type on my cars, including two black ones. I store in (damp) in its container. The last chamois I got was so thin and fragile, not to mention expensive, that it quickly became useless.

Recently, I found that following the absorber with a soft dry cloth really brings the polish back, making the cars nice and slick again. I think the minerals in the water, left when the tiny drops evaporate, were causing me to wax the cars too often.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLIE PHANATIC
I use is Adams Great White. You can dry your whole car without wringing it out! It is a waffle weave drying towel & their micro fiber towels are the best.
also.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

IMO, The best way is a LEAF BLOWER, followed by a spritz of your favorite show quality shine product using a clean (fresh washed) microfiber towel.

The air dry method obviously avoids any possibility of scrubbing the paint with microscopic silicates imbedded in that old Absorber or chamois or waffle pad, etc. AND, it has the advantage of blowing the water out of the body seams, from behind the mirrors, and in the corner of the hatch and so forth.

When my leaf blower isn't available, then I do prefer the Absorber. But, we all know that even when hand washing, there always seems to be that little spot that was missed and goes unnoticed until you see the dirt smudge on the (Absorber). Now it has silicates imbedded in it to act upon the paint like sandpaper from then on. (I've tried washing the Absorber as they say you can, but for whatever reason, it seems to ruin its ability to absorb as well after. Might be the type of laundry detergent used? I dunno.)

Blow dried (Zaino), followed by a spritz of shine enhancer and a rub with a fresh mico fiber towel. It had been 4 years since it received the "full Monty" Dawn stripping/buffing/sealer routine.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-12-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
IMO, The best way is a LEAF BLOWER, followed by a spritz of your favorite show quality shine product using a clean (fresh washed) microfiber towel.

The air dry method obviously avoids any possibility of scrubbing the paint with microscopic silicates imbedded in that old Absorber or chamois or waffle pad, etc. AND, it has the advantage of blowing the water out of the body seams, from behind the mirrors, and in the corner of the hatch and so forth.

When my leaf blower isn't available, then I do prefer the Absorber. But, we all know that even when hand washing, there always seems to be that little spot that was missed and goes unnoticed until you see the dirt smudge on the (Absorber). Now it has silicates imbedded in it to act upon the paint like sandpaper from then on. (I've tried washing the Absorber as they say you can, but for whatever reason, it seems to ruin its ability to absorb as well after. Might be the type of laundry detergent used? I dunno.)

Blow dried (Zaino), followed by a spritz of shine enhancer and a rub with a fresh mico fiber towel. It had been 4 years since it received the "full Monty" Dawn stripping/buffing/sealer routine.

Leaf blower? No way I would ever do that. In my opinion it would be way too easy to pick up stray dirt and dust and blow it into the car finish at 150 MPH.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I dunno whyJacksonville water is so bad but you cant leave it on your car. I dont worry much about rainwater droplets but i use an Absorber style cloth to get the nasty city water off. Doesnt matter what color it is, it all looks like crap. And I HATE drying the Suburban off. Too much acreage!!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also use a cordless leaf blower. The none contact method of drying eliminates the chance of scratching and wearing the wax/sealant off. It also allows you to get the water out of all those little traps designed into the C4's body. As far as blowing dirt at the car I have never had an issue with it. It can't be worse then driving around with all that road junk hitting it. I mainly use it after getting stuck in the rain. It is only recently that I started washing my 96'. I always just sprayed it down with Windex and wiped it off then hit it with detailer spritz. In the sixteen years I've owned it I only washed it maybe four times. Three of those in the last four months. I now use a product called no-rinse wash. Does a great job and also reseals the paint. I'm real happy with the way the paint held up. It still looks new so I must be doing something right.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Klyde; 01-12-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Johnbar
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

I have always used a chamois, then at the end use a micro fiber towel.Dries up nice but does take some time. Think I'm going to buy an Absorber and try it out.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

^^^^This is ABSOLUTEY THE BEST METHOD(s). ^^^^
As for the comment that using a leaf blower is blowing stuff at 150 mph if you think about it, if t here's enough "stuff" in the air then what do you think WIPING it with a towel is doing to the finish.
I've been "blow drying" my cars for over 15 years and not a swirl or a scratch. Not one.

Get notified of new replies

To Use Chamois or other

Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/big-blue-towel.html
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

A new 100% terry cloth is good, a microfiber towel is good. Any car wash product is a good as advertised. All of them are good as long they are CLEAN.

You can have a $200 microfiber towel, and if it has dirt or sand in it, it isn't worth a damn.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Metro Air Force Blower

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-599-a...eparately.aspx

Karsten

Quick Reply: Use Chamois or other