Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help Telescopic steering Column on 1984 Wont Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
FiretoFlames
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Telescopic steering Column on 1984 Wont Lock?

For some reason my steering wheel doesn't stay in one place it moves back and fourth...the telescope doesn't lock in place. The telescope I can freely move it back and forth...the problem is that the telescope part doesn't stay in one place...am I missing a screw or is something broken. Do I need to lock it some way? I just got my first Vette and I've never had a car with Telesopic steering Column so I have no clue how it works.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by FiretoFlames
For some reason my steering wheel doesn't stay in one place it moves back and fourth...the telescope doesn't lock in place. The telescope I can freely move it back and forth...the problem is that the telescope part doesn't stay in one place...am I missing a screw or is something broken. Do I need to lock it some way? I just got my first Vette and I've never had a car with Telesopic steering Column so I have no clue how it works.
Any help would be much appreciated!
there is a lever on top of center of steering wheel near horn button that locks it
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Welcome to the forum! There's a great bunch of guys here that can solve ANY problem (almost)!

I'll bet you're already aware of the lock lever on the top of the column, so I'm guessing that's not your question. To adjust the column lock, pull off the horn button. Carefully remove the horn button wire. There is a ring around the center bolt with 6 funny looking countersink holes. Move your lock lever (on top of the column) to the right. Remove the two screws in this ring. Move your lock lever to the left and install the screws into the ring at this new position. Now your lock lever will have a tighter grip on the lock mechanism.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 01-15-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
FiretoFlames
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guess it was the lock lever on top of the column. it locks up now!

Get notified of new replies

To Help Telescopic steering Column on 1984 Wont Lock?

Quick Reply: Help Telescopic steering Column on 1984 Wont Lock?