Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LT1 Mufflers

Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

Default LT1 Mufflers

I have a stock '95 exhaust and want to change the sound (and maybe help performance some) by replacing the mufflers.

What I am finding is that for the LT1 cars they only offer a full setup from the cats back, not just the mufflers. (When I look at Corsa, B&B, Borla, etc) What is worse is that many of them step down to a 2.5" system although some have a 3" system too.

What I am looking for is a stainless muffler as a stock muffler replacement. I don't want to replace a good 2.75" stock system, just the mufflers at hopefully a reduced price from the whole system. The only ones I see that fit up to the 2.75" pipes are the Corvette Central muffler eliminators or stock replacement mufflers. I did the muffler eliminators on a previous '94 and may do that again, but I would like something a little better.

Why don't the big name exhaust companies make their performance mufflers in a size to fit up to the LT1 pipes? If I am missing something, please let me know who makes a good muffler to fit up to the stock 2.75" LT1 pipes.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 AM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.5 won't be any kind of a restriction on even a modded car. your factory exhaust necks down to 2.5 going into the resonator and i believe the mufflers too.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eatmydst1234
2.5 won't be any kind of a restriction on even a modded car. your factory exhaust necks down to 2.5 going into the resonator and i believe the mufflers too.
I agree.

But I am still looking for a direct fit performance muffler. Does anyone make one? Or why not?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I agree.

But I am still looking for a direct fit performance muffler. Does anyone make one? Or why not?

Magnaflow 15623
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Magnaflow 15623
Thanks.

On Summit's site they show 2.5" inlet. On Magnaflow's site they show 3" inlet. On Magnaflow's installation instructions they mention a 2.75" clamp. The installation instructions show it attaching to the stock pipes, so I guess it should work.

When I searched that part number, I found quite a few negative comments about that muffler too. Forum member PLRX posted a problem that the hangers are poorly designed and fail along with attempts to get it corrected.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-mufflers.html

I am not sure I want to go with Magnaflow.

Any other options?

Last edited by QCVette; 01-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Few offer replacement mufflers because the factory system is a one-piece (welded) unit from the cats back....ie if you want to add mufflers you'll be doing some hack-sawing.

Most will say (and I agree) that Corsa is by far the best cat-back system available. Little to no drone, extremely well made, nice exhaust note that is louder than stock (but more than tolerable), and they offer a slight performance gain (although you won't feel it SOTP).

Gotta pay to play.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Few offer replacement mufflers because the factory system is a one-piece (welded) unit from the cats back....ie if you want to add mufflers you'll be doing some hack-sawing.
I expect you are right. I knew I would be cutting the stock system, but that is probably why most manufacturers don't make something for it.

Most will say (and I agree) that Corsa is by far the best cat-back system available. Little to no drone, extremely well made, nice exhaust note that is louder than stock (but more than tolerable), and they offer a slight performance gain (although you won't feel it SOTP).
I like the Corsa systems too, and I agree not much performance improvement. I just can't get used to the stock sound after having other modified cars.

Gotta pay to play.
Sad but true. I still try to limit the damage though.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=QCVette;1585918848]Thanks.

On Summit's site they show 2.5" inlet. On Magnaflow's site they show 3" inlet. On Magnaflow's installation instructions they mention a 2.75" clamp. The installation instructions show it attaching to the stock pipes, so I guess it should work.

When I searched that part number, I found quite a few negative comments about that muffler too. Forum member PLRX posted a problem that the hangers are poorly designed and fail along with attempts to get it corrected.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-mufflers.html

I am not sure I want to go with Magnaflow.

I have a set, and they slide over the 2&3/4 pipe. I like the looks and they have a deeper tone then the factory mufflers, but they do have a little drone with my car. I went back to a stock system for now. But keep in mind, I am running a non stock motor, long tube headers and no cats, so mine is louder then stock whatever exhaust I use.
FWIW I am going to throw in this piece of advise. Buy your exhaust based on looks and personal preference of sound. Don't expect a hp increase over stock.

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 01-14-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just buy the OBX cat back system. It cost$380.00 or $460.00 shipped. It gives a complete stainless system for a third the price of Corsa. Deep throaty idle and minimal if any drone. It looks just like the Corsa but I think it sounds better. My mechanic told me Its the best sounding Vette he's ever heard. I get louder tire noise then exhaust on the highway and can easily carry on conversations or listen to the radio. WOT takes your breath away. Here are some pics:
Attached Images      
Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

I would have suggested the Walker DynoMax 17689 and 17690 but it appears that maybe they're no longer available OR with everyone's e-catalogs maybe they've just been overlooked. Check with a NAPA store or a Walker jobber. These were direct-fit with LT tips and I've ever only heard one fellow say he wasn't happy with them. I don't believe he could have been satisfied with any offering though.

Google will still show you images if you enter the Walker 17689 or Walker 17690. These are OE in appearance and fit using original rear hangers. They're NOT obnoxious and in cars I rode in with them I never noticed "the drone".

These were never inexpensive but I thought "quality pieces".

They're NOT "China sourced" either!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-15-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Klyde
Just buy the OBX cat back system. It cost$380.00 or $460.00 shipped. It gives a complete stainless system for a third the price of Corsa. Deep throaty idle and minimal if any drone. It looks just like the Corsa but I think it sounds better. My mechanic told me Its the best sounding Vette he's ever heard. I get louder tire noise then exhaust on the highway and can easily carry on conversations or listen to the radio. WOT takes your breath away. Here are some pics:
Those look really good and the price is good too. I found it for $320 ($415 shipped)

I might consider that system.

How long have you had them? Do they seem pretty well made (especially at the mounting locations)? Was the fit pretty good?

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I would have suggested the Walker DynoMax 17689 and 17690 but it appears that maybe they're no longer available OR with everyone's e-catalogs maybe they've just been overlooked. Check with a NAPA store or a Walker jobber. These were direct-fit with LT tips and I've ever only heard one fellow say he wasn't happy with them. I don't believe he could have been satisfied with any offering though.

Google will still show you images if you enter the Walker 17689 or Walker 17690. These are OE in appearance and fit using original rear hangers. They're NOT obnoxious and in cars I rode in with them I never noticed "the drone".

These were never inexpensive but I thought "quality pieces".

They're NOT "China sourced" either!
I found them still available at Rock Auto for about $180 each. They look like a stock type muffler. I would like to find something with stainless construction and may better looking tips.

Are they louder than stock? If so, how much?

Thanks for the replies and recommendations.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the dynomax superturbo mufflers on both of my corvettes, on my '93 there was a lot of drone. They were not the corvette specific ones however. I didn't know it but my '93 also had empty cats. with what I know now, I attribute the drone to the cats. being empty and the mufflers not being the corvette specific units.

On my old '86 that had them there was little to no drone.

With that said, I would still recommend them. The sound is a little louder than stock, though not a lot. The tone of the exhaust changes to be more desirable sound.

Last edited by eatmydst1234; 01-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I found them still available at Rock Auto for about $180 each. They look like a stock type muffler. I would like to find something with stainless construction and may better looking tips.

Are they louder than stock? If so, how much?
Somewhat louder but NOT something that would be considered objectionable. The rationale when they were introduced was of course better flowing than stock but retained the appearance.

I have a pair of the Midas equivalents on a system that I've offered locally to someone that wanted to do maybe a true-dual exhaust on an earlier car. It's the LT system with inlet pipes, resonator, under-axle pipes and the Midas mufflers with the OE/LT tips.

I'd shop them "local" if they interested you.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The OBX is very well made. I had to buy the 95' system and add a O2 bung because they don't make a system for 96's. The only problem I had was the location where they welded the rear mount to the resonator the two pipes egg shaped due to the weld. A slight tap with a rubber hammer and good to go. Also the muffler clamps they supply are junk so I bought Walker stainless clamps and all's well. For these prices a set of clamps is nothing to worry about. The quality of the entire set, minus clamps, is very good. Once again I am quite happy with them and the sound is perfect.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Originally Posted by Klyde
The OBX is very well made. I had to buy the 95' system and add a O2 bung because they don't make a system for 96's. The only problem I had was the location where they welded the rear mount to the resonator the two pipes egg shaped due to the weld. A slight tap with a rubber hammer and good to go. Also the muffler clamps they supply are junk so I bought Walker stainless clamps and all's well. For these prices a set of clamps is nothing to worry about. The quality of the entire set, minus clamps, is very good. Once again I am quite happy with them and the sound is perfect.
Do you know the p/n of the Walker clamp you purchased?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 1993 with 3 inch pipes, Mufflers and a Resonator that sounds great. I took my 1994 in to have new Square Tip put on and the pipes straightened up and centered......2.75 inch Straight Pipe, no Resonator, No Mufflers and it is as quiet as the 1993.

I had planned on losing the resonator to an X pipe but all I have is Straight Pipe now into a rectangle 8x2 tip.

Karsten
Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Curious where you are finding the OBX exhaust for less than $400. Their site lists it as $593.98, I've done all sorts of searches and haven't found it anywhere else. (I'm new here, so I'm sure I don't yet know the "right" places to look...)

I did find their headers/catted system (looks like Stainless Works stuff). That does have the '96 O2 sensor provisions, so I would think combining the two would get you what you need in a '96.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

ColaBear:
I bought them from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-32218

They may be overkill (over priced) but they sure do make the exhaust solid.

Five7Kid:
I bought mine off of their EBay site. The header kit comes back too far and you will need cable/wiring extensions if you use that kit in order to reach the rear O2 sensors. Depending on which year you might have to upgrade to four wire O2 sensors (self heating). The originals won't heat up enough to come out of open loop that far from the heads. I didn't want headers at this time so just ordered the CatBack kit. They don't offer the CatBack kit for 96's so I just bought a 95' kit and added the bung. No big deal.

If you do buy a new system go ahead and replace the O2 sensors. They should be replaced every 50k miles anyways. I got a great deal on four new ones from here:

Amazon.com: ACDelco AFS75 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco AFS75 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

These work great with my 96'. When I bought them they were less then $25.00 each and are AC/Delco's. I have seen these for over $120.00 each at some sites/stores and bought all four shipped for less then that.

WVZR-1:
Yes these are probably "China Sourced". But compared to the cost of Corsa and how close they come in quality for this price it is just one of those times when you have to bite the bullet and go with the savings. The other thousand dollars can be used for all kinds of other "American Sourced" parts and upgrades. I've driven both exhaust systems now and I prefer the deeper/throaty sound of the OBX. I also don't consider the Corsa to have any less drone then these but that is highly subjective and don't want to get into that "Discussion". Once again I will state that the OBX is well worth the price.

Last edited by Klyde; 01-16-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the recommendations on mufflers.

Thanks Klyde for all the info on the OBX.

Originally Posted by five7kid
Curious where you are finding the OBX exhaust for less than $400. Their site lists it as $593.98, I've done all sorts of searches and haven't found it anywhere else. (I'm new here, so I'm sure I don't yet know the "right" places to look...)

I did find their headers/catted system (looks like Stainless Works stuff). That does have the '96 O2 sensor provisions, so I would think combining the two would get you what you need in a '96.
I started looking for the OBX system and as near as I can tell it is not available right now. I don't see it on Ebay, the OBX site shows the pricing, but you can't buy it there. They refer you to their dealers. Some of their dealers don't have phone #'s on their web site (not all have a web site) and those that have phone #'s don't answer them. One of their dealers shows it on their web site, but if you select a credit card purchase the transaction fails because they are not set up as a merchant to accept cards. OBX does not even have a phone number on their site and I found it through the Better Business Bureau. When I talked with them they said it is not available for at least 30 to 60 days. They also stated that their dealers do not have it in stock, even though the dealer's web site shows it "in stock".

If it is this hard to find a dealer to buy it or talk to about it and it is out of stock for a lengthy period, it makes me wonder what it would be like for service if you have a problem with it.

Other than the lack of any real dealers, service, and out of stock, that system seems to be what I would like. I understand that it may not be as good as a Corsa, but for the pricing I think it looks great and should be a lot better sounding than stock.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

QCVette:

Here is a link to the set I purchased but as you state they are currently out of stock with no restock date:

Amazon.com: OBX Catback Exhaust 92-95 Chevy Corvette C4 5.7L LT1: Automotive Amazon.com: OBX Catback Exhaust 92-95 Chevy Corvette C4 5.7L LT1: Automotive

I hope they continue to make these because they are a great deal and of high quality. We C4 owners need all the after market support we can get. When I purchased them they linked into an EBay OBX Motor site. Now all they show are ZR-1 catbacks which look a lot like mine or at least the image does. I wonder if there is any difference between the LT1 exhaust and the ZR-1 exhaust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Dual-Catback-Exhaust-Chevy-Corvette-90-95-C4-5-7L-ZR1-LT5-/151209863357?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2334cf68bd&vxp=mtr

When I originally bought mine there was a member that wanted a set for an L98 and couldn't find them. OBX told him that they would be available in two months and I saw them a few months later. I wonder if they make limited runs throughout the year for such unique models such as ours and you just have to wait till they make them available.

Last edited by Klyde; 01-16-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Mufflers