Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy need some help

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/intr...need-help.html
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

I wouldn't buy either of them. There are much better candidates out there to choose from. I'd wait patiently for a late C4 that needs nothing, or nearly nothing. You'll pour a lot of cash into interior restorations, convertible tops, etc. And an engine that's been overheated stands a much greater chance of having major, costly problems, than one that hasn't.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Live well,

SJW
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM
blacdog06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SJW
I wouldn't buy either of them. There are much better candidates out there to choose from. I'd wait patiently for a late C4 that needs nothing, or nearly nothing. You'll pour a lot of cash into interior restorations, convertible tops, etc. And an engine that's been overheated stands a much greater chance of having major, costly problems, than one that hasn't.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Live well,

SJW
true but neither would be a daily driver, just a toy/project. again id only have about $2000 in either one to start with. not many people wana trade vettes for man toys so im kinda limited. not a huge fan of the lt1 engine but. gotta take my first vette step somewere. im more leaning to the convertible due to its better condition, even with the top needing replaced
Old 01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

What happens alot of times is , guys buy a cheaper car with a few problems to save money. The parts and repairs the car eventually needs makes the cars final price higher then if they had waited and bought a car in excellent shape to start with..And they usually need more work then you first thought, taking the price higher...I have seen this happen many times on this forum.. Try to get the best car you can afford from the start , Im sure you will be glad you did.......WW

PS...The L98 and LT1 engines last a long time if taken care of, but 180,000 is a lot of miles , even for one of these engines...

Last edited by WW7; 01-21-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Save your money up and find one in good shape that's been taken care of. You don't want to end up with a money pit. What's the saying?---you can't polish a turd......but you will spend a lot of money trying and its still a turd.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If I'm trading straight up for a car with $2k in it, I would have no problem with the coupe. Be warned that you can/will easily sink a lot of cash into the car....especially if you like tinkering.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM
blacdog06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csthews
If I'm trading straight up for a car with $2k in it, I would have no problem with the coupe. Be warned that you can/will easily sink a lot of cash into the car....especially if you like tinkering.
im almost leaning more to the conv because it has less issues. yes more miles but less issues
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Either of those will definitely be a Project Vette for sure!

Any well maintained C4 Vette is a project since these vehicles are getting older every year!...Buy, the best one you can afford and you won't regret it!...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM
tlvols75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GKK
Either of those will definitely be a Project Vette for sure!

Any well maintained C4 Vette is a project since these vehicles are getting older every year!...Buy, the best one you can afford and you won't regret it!...

just based on the description, I think I would go with the vert. since it is not going to be a daily driver, if you have a garage to keep it in the convertible top shouldn't be an issue till u get around to fixing. I bought a vert in may of last year, and wasn't sure if I would get tired of the convertible top. I have to say I love it. nothing like cruising around in it all summer. when I got it, the vinyl back window was ripped, so I bought some vinyl at hobby lobby and fixed it for 5 bucks and works fine till I can spend the time and money on fixing my top/
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blacdog06
im almost leaning more to the conv because it has less issues. yes more miles but less issues
If I read your post correctly, the only major problems with the coupe was the cracked top and a window that won't roll down. When you say "the PO flushed the cooling system out and now its heating", I take it to mean that the heater now works as a result of the heater core getting flushed out with the cooling system (since fouled heater cores are pretty common on these cars). If the car is actually overheating, that could be another big issue. Good luck with your purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To new guy need some help

Quick Reply: new guy need some help