C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clutch pedal starter safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Clutch pedal starter safety switch

Has anyone wired around this thing? I looked on a schematic and it looks like it energises a relay when you are in the start position on the key switch. Can that relay stand to be energised full time if the switch is wired around? I looked up under the dash the other night and couldn't see much. Is it even up on the pedal assy under there or is is some place else? I bent my clutch fork trying to energize it when I started the car the other day. Is there a pedal stop up under there for the pedal that needs adjusting too? I want to do away with that annoying government nanny after I repair the damage I've done.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes, you can "jumper" it. That switch is so far up in the dash it would take hours to replace. A real pain and hard to get at. Disconnect it at the plug which you can see under the drivers side dash. Use a short piece of insulated copper wire with blade type connectors and insert it onto the two positions on the plug where the switch would have plugged into. Just leave the old switch in there. It doesn't work and isn't worth removing as it won't be in the way of anything. You now must ALWAYS have to remember to push in the clutch or put the car in neutral before you hit the ignition. Otherwise it will move the car when you turn the ignition.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 01-31-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Glad to hear there is a plug on that thing I can get to without going elbow deep all the way to the switch. Looks like I've caused a lot of damage by over traveling the clutch pedal. Ditched that annoying safety junk on my old Mustang years ago. People drove standard transmission cars for decades without all that junk. Just got lazy about the tight places on the Vette. I'm an expensive learner I guess.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

I "jumpered" mine in all of about 10 minutes. When I saw where the switch was, I knew I wasn't going that route. I was always used to pushing in the clutch anyway while I started manual transmissions, so my repair goes unnoticed. I don't have to worry about that stupid switch stranding me somewhere.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Clutch switch

Mines also jumpered since the clutch master cylinder was replaced and something went bad while they were replacing it. I've also thought about putting a hidden toggle switch in there and it could be another theft deterrent item. Easy to do, just where to put the switch.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
I've also thought about putting a hidden toggle switch in there and it could be another theft deterrent item. Easy to do, just where to put the switch.
Excellent idea, hc.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hcbph
Mines also jumpered since the clutch master cylinder was replaced and something went bad while they were replacing it. I've also thought about putting a hidden toggle switch in there and it could be another theft deterrent item. Easy to do, just where to put the switch.
That would be a great idea! It would be simple to do as a theft deterrent. Just connect two new wires from the switch into the two positions in the connector that is visible under the dash. I'll keep that idea.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 AM
neelas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to jump mine also

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal starter safety switch

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal starter safety switch