Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horse power

looking to add hp to my 91 vette any advice on what add ons I should put on
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Intake, heads, cam, headers, rear gears or do an LS swap. All depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My 1995 has the high performance axle. This option really spices up my engines performance. Down side, cuts fuel mileage about 2 miles per gallon.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

yes, one of these fit my 91 nicely.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
yes, one of these fit my 91 nicely.

1991 is such a unique year (in my opinion). The latest styling queues, but with the traditional (and infinitely modifiable) small block! I sold my 91', but I miss that car! So many possibilities ranging from bolt-ons to big-cubic inch aftermarket blocks.

I'm not knocking the LS motor, it's an incredibly capable platform, with tons of aftermarket support. It also has some interesting architectural improvements, heads, and the alloy block (not all are alloy BTW).

"Can an LS swap be done on a budget"? Yes, especially when using an iron block and 4L60 transmission. But, realistically it's not for the armature and it will involve some creativity to integrate full functionality of the donor engine and c4 corvette electrical components. I wish someone would make a drop-in (with harness) kit already?

Anyway, "TPIS" is a nice vendor to visit if you want to get an idea of what is available, and what your small block is capable of.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by firsttimechevy
looking to add hp to my 91 vette any advice on what add ons I should put on
Save up and supercharge it, no other power adders should be needed in the short term
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put nitrous on mine and had a blast with it. Lots of people who have never run nitrous will tell you how bad it is. Nitrous is no different than boost, too much is too much. A 150 shot took my 14 second car easily into the 12's. I think nitrous is pretty cool, BUT, if money was not in the equation, I would put a blower or turbo on the car. I messed around for a long time with the long tube runner system. For the power I was looking for, you would need to do heads, cam, intake, exhaust, and it adds up quickly. Good luck with your quest for power in a time when 1000hp cars almost seem common. LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I put nitrous on mine and had a blast with it. Lots of people who have never run nitrous will tell you how bad it is. Nitrous is no different than boost, too much is too much. A 150 shot took my 14 second car easily into the 12's. I think nitrous is pretty cool, BUT, if money was not in the equation, I would put a blower or turbo on the car. I messed around for a long time with the long tube runner system. For the power I was looking for, you would need to do heads, cam, intake, exhaust, and it adds up quickly. Good luck with your quest for power in a time when 1000hp cars almost seem common. LOL
I'm beginning to think a stout long-block with nitrous is the ticket these days. "if" you can get 12's out of the NA motor, 10's shouldn't be too far off with nitrous. People say, "you have to keep refilling the bottle", but in reality, how often do you need the added power? Especially on the streets? I can tell you now that my supercharger is only in boost 5 percent of the time (if that). Otherwise, the by-pass valve stays busy. So spend $6k on a supercharger, and use it occasionally, or spend $700-1,500 (on a really good kit) and use nitrous occasionally?

People will tell you the cost of the refills will eventually add-up. Don't kid yourself, superchargers will need maintenance too (belts, possible rebuild, etc.).
Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
1991 is such a unique year (in my opinion). The latest styling queues, but with the traditional (and infinitely modifiable) small block! I sold my 91', but I miss that car! So many possibilities ranging from bolt-ons to big-cubic inch aftermarket blocks.

I'm not knocking the LS motor, it's an incredibly capable platform, with tons of aftermarket support. It also has some interesting architectural improvements, heads, and the alloy block (not all are alloy BTW).

"Can an LS swap be done on a budget"? Yes, especially when using an iron block and 4L60 transmission. But, realistically it's not for the armature and it will involve some creativity to integrate full functionality of the donor engine and c4 corvette electrical components. I wish someone would make a drop-in (with harness) kit already?

Anyway, "TPIS" is a nice vendor to visit if you want to get an idea of what is available, and what your small block is capable of.
I picked the 91 because of the SBC support but I love the LS. I agree its not for everyone and I was nervous about doing it because of all the unfinished threads I saw. I really dont consider myself above average when it comes to turning a wrench I think the Key is doing your homework.

Get notified of new replies

To horse power

Quick Reply: horse power