Info on converting 88 to wide molding

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 480 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Info on converting 88 to wide molding

Hi and thanks....So im building my 88, and i want to replace the front and rear bumper because i want the fiberglass ones. I want to convert the car to the wide molding. The stock kit is like $800 (for the early moldings), and plus i like the look of the wide molding better...

Out of all the catalogs i have, the only molding i can find is the small ones on the q/panel.....Does anyone make a kit? I see Corvette Central has a full kit, with the ft and rear bumper, but its like $4000. I cant do that much at once. Does anyone offer the pieces individually?

Thanks everyone....
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 AM
My1991
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FostersPerformance
Hi and thanks....So im building my 88, and i want to replace the front and rear bumper because i want the fiberglass ones. I want to convert the car to the wide molding. The stock kit is like $800 (for the early moldings), and plus i like the look of the wide molding better...

Out of all the catalogs i have, the only molding i can find is the small ones on the q/panel.....Does anyone make a kit? I see Corvette Central has a full kit, with the ft and rear bumper, but its like $4000. I cant do that much at once. Does anyone offer the pieces individually?

Thanks everyone....
I once converted a 84-90 bumper to wide molding. I used 2 door moldings and a lot of work. But when done looks factory and matches rest of 91 up body.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by My1991
I once converted a 84-90 bumper to wide molding. I used 2 door moldings and a lot of work. But when done looks factory and matches rest of 91 up body.

So does anyone sell the pieces? Are the moldings on the front and rear bumpers on wide molding cars molded into the bumper? Is that why?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by FostersPerformance
So does anyone sell the pieces? Are the moldings on the front and rear bumpers on wide molding cars molded into the bumper? Is that why?

Thanks!
Front and rear moldings on a "base" 91+ are part of the cover as are the front fender molding part of the fender sections. You would need only doors and the front of the rear wheel opening to complete a car.

That's assuming you've bought '91+ fenders and the correct bumper covers.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

forum member jeffp1167 did this on an early C4, and as I remember, the pics looked pretty good. I did a search, and jeff's pics are no longer available, and it looks like jeff hasn't posted anything for 2-3 years now - he may be long gone along with his pics. as I recall, he took some late model C4 door molding, and reworked it to fit the early C4 bumpers. here's a link to the original thread...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-am-doing.html
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe C
forum member jeffp1167 did this on an early C4, and as I remember, the pics looked pretty good. I did a search, and jeff's pics are no longer available, and it looks like jeff hasn't posted anything for 2-3 years now - he may be long gone along with his pics. as I recall, he took some late model C4 door molding, and reworked it to fit the early C4 bumpers. here's a link to the original thread...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-am-doing.html
Ok, great, thanks everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Info on converting 88 to wide molding

Quick Reply: Info on converting 88 to wide molding