1996 coupe – strange idle issue – input needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Default 1996 coupe – strange idle issue – input needed

I have been searching for this type of issue for the 96 specifically and could not really find what I was looking for. Sorry if this has been covered before.

My 96 (stock with Automatic) has developed a kind of what I would call strange idle issue.

It has a small surge or drop in rpms which is very slight but seems to be getting worse, recently to the point the motor feels/sounds like it might stall even though it has not done so yet. Per the tachometer in the dash, it idles around 700 rpm. If the AC is turned on which brings the rpms up to around 800/900 rpm with a load, the motor will idle smooth all day long. It also does not seem to make any difference if the motor is hot or cold.

This issue does not seem to have any impact on driving as the car has no hesitation or miss at any rpm above 900.

No code is showing up so my scanner.

In the last year or so, I have changed the plugs, plug wires and cap and rotor on the Opti. Found and fixed a cracked vacuum line on the cruise control servo.

So for you experts or if you have experienced this or something close to it, what did you got through to get it running normal again. Changing parts I can do, but I’m not too strong at diagnosing vacuum or electrical issues. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
pastamike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same thing last week, i pulled the throttle body off cleaned it with throttle body cleaner,and cleaned it really good, and pulled off the iac and cleaned it with mass air cleaner and also the maf sensor too, and it went away. hope this helps..

pastamike..
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Thanks pastamike, I'll start with some inspection and cleaning.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced the IAC valve with a Delphi unit after my engine rpm's started to drop a little when coming to a stop.

Now, the engine idles nice and smooth again!...

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 coupe – strange idle issue – input needed

Quick Reply: 1996 coupe – strange idle issue – input needed