C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

PKE system

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 PM
COCOLOCO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
There is no overall limit to how many fobs the system can handle, I think there could be a three at once limit. At any rate when you programmed your new fob you should have added your old one in at the same time. Programming a fob deletes the old ones. The dealers don't have any magic. They just want to charge you for the programming steps in the manual.
The PKE will handle up to 3 FOBS, but from what I've been told, it's three total, and the new ones do not wipe out the old ones (went through this years ago when I first got my '95). So, you need to go back to the dealer and have them wipe the PKE memory. After that you can again program up to three FOBs, so you should be able to get both of them to work.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:08 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by COCOLOCO
The PKE will handle up to 3 FOBS, but from what I've been told, it's three total, and the new ones do not wipe out the old ones (went through this years ago when I first got my '95). So, you need to go back to the dealer and have them wipe the PKE memory. After that you can again program up to three FOBs, so you should be able to get both of them to work.
Programming a new transmitter will "change" the code, so any previously programmed FOB's will no longer function for this car.
No need to go to the dealer for this.

Once the new transmitter is coded, the lost transmitter will not unlock your vehicle.
This also means any other transmitters that you might have.
If you reprogram one, you need to do them all at the same time.

Each vehicle can have only three transmitters matched to it.
This means 3 at any given time

To match transmitters to your vehicle:
1. Move all transmitters out of range.

2. Turn the ignition key on.

3. Push TRIP ODO on the Driver Information Center twice.

4. Within five seconds, press and hold FUEL INFO until the
PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light comes on.

5. Turn the ignition off, but leave the key in the ignition.
The PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light should begin to flash to show the
System is in programming mode.

6. Bring one transmitter in to range. The light will stop flashing and stay
on to show that the code is stored.

7. Move the transmitter out of range. The light should start flashing
again.

8. Repeat Steps 6 and 7 with each additional transmitter.

The programming mode will shut off if
· You don’t program any transmitters for two minutes.
· You take the key out of the ignition or turn the ignition on.
· You have programmed three transmitters.

Note: All of the above assumes you have a PKE system in working order.
If you have a bad PKE module, or other issues that prevent the completion of any listed steps then programing a new FOB isn't going to work.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by COCOLOCO
Like Rolla said, I'm afraid you are misinformed.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mybucketlist
Totally agree with you RollaMo about the door sequencing thing. I received a replacement FOB from Dino's, followed the programming info in the owners manual and all went well. The problem is now my original FOB won't work and the car will not flash the passive light when I try to reprogram the original FOB which was working fine until I programmed the new FOB. I can't help but wonder if the car will only allow a certain number of FOBs be programmed. Since I bought the car used I don't know how many FOBs have been programmed and I think 3 is the magic number. I wonder if it can be reset? The owners manual does say to take the new FOB to the dealer. I wonder if it is to sync the 2 FOBs? Anyone have any ideas?
You should be able to program both fobs at one time, the procedure is in the manual. If your receiver won't go into programming mode now there must be a problem with it, but strange that it happened so soon after you did it successfully.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM
mybucketlist
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pke

Originally Posted by markKlein
You should be able to program both fobs at one time, the procedure is in the manual. If your receiver won't go into programming mode now there must be a problem with it, but strange that it happened so soon after you did it successfully.
Thanks for all the input guys. Did finally figure it out. Reprogrammed again but this time had both FOBS in my hand. Owners manual isn't real clear on it but perseverance paid off.

Quick Reply: PKE system