Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Stang-etr96
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work Bluezman btw... the only clearance problem will be the waterfall and clearing the bottom of the back window frame when you put it up and down and of course the center console door to be functional if ya keep the waterfall intact.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluezman
To "vetteLT193" regarding the lines, etc.... I appreciate your insight to this. I think you're right. It's a good point. C4 lines are more defined than C5. In fact I hear comment from people on C7 about the sharp lines being so contemporary and a departure from C5 and C6. Yeah, a departure back to the styling of C4, I think. Compare the two and you'll see remarkable similarities outside and inside both cars. But your point is well made and I'll try to work with that. The factory fiberglass work is thick enough to flatten certain areas and define the shape more than it is. I'm going to do some more sketches and see what looks best. If I can I'll do some of that to align with the C4 a bit more.
This has been done before, search C4 to C5 body kits, so you can see what a C5 waterfall and deck lid looks like on a C4. IMO the round waterfall does not fit with the flat surfaces of the C4 interior. I definitely like the waterfall though. I think the way that the Spyder inverted the waterfall, made it flat, and has the roll bars which are rectangular on the side makes it all work perfectly.

I agree that the C7 uses lots of C4 styling cues. The interior especially has late C4 written all over it.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I had to mention "mstromquist" avatar. Those are the honest eyes and snout of a black lab. Funny. My avatar is of my oldest black lab. We have a two-year-old as well. These two love everything about Corvettes. Actually they love everything about everything. But in my mind they seem to get especially excited when I'm working on the Corvette. Right now the interior is out of the car, so that's where they hang out when I'm working in the garage. Really, that's where they hang out every chance they get no matter what I'm doing! For those of you reading this who don't have experience with a lab, I highly recommend that you find one. They will change your life. I live by the motto that "I always want to be the person my black labs think I am".
Thanks for the comment on Jackson.We had to send him to Doggie Heaven a few years ago. He is missed SO MUCH. He is also Great Dane and Dalmatian mix. He was a great dog. I still find myself looking around to see if he is there now and then. He was also my daughters dog but like most kids never had the time to spend with him like she should have. That's where I came in and did things with him if I could. Haven't been able to talk myself into another one yet. Maybe some day.

Keep up the great work on your car.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

So sorry about Jackson. He looks very "lab"-like. But now you say what his mix was, I can see that too. It's amazing how these dogs work their way into your life. I worry about losing mine all the time. Then there are times I'd gladly pay to have someone take them! Lol. But I completely understand your sentiment. Nice story.

I've been looking for the aforementioned conversion with the bumps and all. You guys are right. There are some out there but I haven't seen anything currently sold (the waterfall, that is). Ebay is littered with the other C5 parts and I see that a few companies like Mid America sell those kits.

Regarding clearances, etc.; I have test-fit the tonneau cover on my car to ensure that the hardtop and convertible tops clear. They both do. The humps render the back window useless as there is merely a triangle of space left to see through in the middle. But its cool looking, I think, and I don't want to see the cars I'm beating anyway!!

I mentioned in my first post that I'm modifying the center console armrest. I've cut the lid 6" from the back edge. That section is to be stationary all the time. The rest will open as stock. I thought this was a really unique and clever idea except I noticed on the Spyder, they did the same thing. Maybe not so original. Still cool though.

You guys have great insight with this stuff. I mean, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out all the do's and don't's about this and you're all just rattling off these things off the top of your heads like no big deal. I need to hang out with some of you and soak up that natural mechanical engineering prowess.

The next time I test fit the tonneau cover, I'll make sure to snap some photos so you can see what it looks like with the hardtop on. Its so dysfunctional that it makes it all the more awesome!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:56 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bluezman;1586407874]
Regarding clearances, etc.; I have test-fit the tonneau cover on my car to ensure that the hardtop and convertible tops clear. They both do. The humps render the back window useless as there is merely a triangle of space left to see through in the middle. But its cool looking, I think, and I don't want to see the cars I'm beating anyway!!

I'm not sure that is the clearance problem the other poster was talking about. I looked at my car while in the process of putting the top down. If the waterfall is attached, I'm not sure it will clear the very bottom of your top when you are trying to put the top under the deck. The only way I think you can solve this is to have the waterfall removable so it can be removed before putting the top down. You might check that out.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Excellent idea. I would love to see the finished product. There are a few vendors here that may be interested in this product. I would absolutely love to have it on my Vette . Price would be the issue.Keep up the great job good luck
Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Yikes! I hadn't thought of that at all...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to look into this potential issue.

The problem is I am going to use the stock bracket that would normally hold the waterfall in place on a C5. I don't think removing the bracket and fastening the waterfall to the tonneau cover will work either because when you fold the top down, the front edge of the tonneau cover barely misses the back section of the top (before you are able to fold it completely). I might have to make the waterfall hinge forward when the tonneau is open, then hinge back in place and lock into the cover when its down. I hope that isn't the case because the process will start to get complicated and "clunky". The goal here is to keep everything slick and OEM-ish. I'm going to have to put the tonneau cover on and try folding the top right away. I'll figure something out if it does conflict. Whatever I do has to be pro when all is said and done.

Grrrrrr!

And here I was feeling so successful about it thus far. Man, thanks for raining on my parade!!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
C4orce2
Racer

Yikes! I hadn't thought of that at all...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to look into this potential issue.

The problem is I am going to use the stock bracket that would normally hold the waterfall in place on a C5. I don't think removing the bracket and fastening the waterfall to the tonneau cover will work either because when you fold the top down, the front edge of the tonneau cover barely misses the back section of the top (before you are able to fold it completely). I might have to make the waterfall hinge forward when the tonneau is open, then hinge back in place and lock into the cover when its down. I hope that isn't the case because the process will start to get complicated and "clunky". The goal here is to keep everything slick and OEM-ish. I'm going to have to put the tonneau cover on and try folding the top right away. I'll figure something out if it does conflict. Whatever I do has to be pro when all is said and done.

Grrrrrr!

And here I was feeling so successful about it thus far. Man, thanks for raining on my parade!!
Sorry for "raining on your parade", I just wanted you to be aware of what I thought could be a problem. I was thinking about not changing the glove box/armrest at all and having the waterfall removable. I was hoping a slot about 12" wide could be made in the tonneau cover and having the waterfall top end slip into the slot and have the bottom simply rest on the armrest. I would only put in the waterfall at car shows and the rest of the time not have it installed. That solves the clearance problem and gives my right arm more room on the armrest while driving. I'll keep up on this post and see what you come up with before attempting it on my car. I have found a fabricator here in the Valley that could do the job from scratch if I decide to pull the trigger. Good Luck!!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Bluezman
Racer

Default Trudging Forward with my modification

Hello, all.

I've made some progress after a few weeks of being side-tracked to other stuff. The top of the tonneau is at a point where I can start doing finish prep and then paint.

Before I do that, however, I am going to modify the underside to look completely finished. I have some material to fill in the open areas and also the end pieces that you will see when its closed. It's going to be tricky but I want it to look nice when it's open even though you rarely see that part. I plan to paint the underside Arctic White like the rest of the car instead of factory flat black.

I haven't come to any decent decisions about squaring things off. I am going to fit it up to the car and take photos installed before I paint it. Then I'll get everybody's honest opinion (who is willing to help me) if squaring it off would be an improvement or not. My gut feeling is that it really won't be. But maybe. My wife (in the last photo) thinks it should stay as is. I'm not sure.

I've also compared pertinent measurements. It doesn't appear that there are any clearance issues at all.

Please let me know what you think.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 AM
12 inches
Instructor

And I was proud of myself for doing a little wrenching installing an air foil. You just made me look like a bitch.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Any pictures of the final project?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Default Non Update

Somehow life has gotten in the way of this project. But the good news is I'm ready to paint the modified tonneau cover with the "new" voluptuous bumps... FINALLY!!

I was doing great, working nice and steady. Then weekend after weekend everything came unglued in and around my life. ...Nothing tragic. Just stuff I couldn't get out of.

I also have a hardtop for my car that's in great condition, but its red. My car is white. So I've decided to paint the top and tonneau at the same time.

My hope was to get them both painted before Thanksgiving and drive to show my dad. But I'm not quite ready and its really too cold to paint right now. I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area and its just really always wet and chilly this time of year. I don't have a proper paint booth so I have to wait until temperature and humidity are in line. It might be after Christmas before that happens and I get this done. I might rent a paint booth for the weekend to just get it done but the cost of that is a little expensive relative to what I'm doing.

As soon as they're done, though, I'll post the result here. I've test fit it on my car and it really looks great so far. Come to think of it, I should have taken pictures. It didn't cross my mind until just now. Oh well...
Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Great idea Im sure you will work out the bugs. Keep us posted. As mentioned previously many vendors here can fabricate your design. Keep up the good work
Old 11-22-2014, 10:09 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I think we're all looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Keep the pictures coming.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

as stated great idea, can't wait to see the end result
Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Bluzeman; Big Props! You are a doing a very involved and multi complicated project. Don't be afraid to take a moment and step back.

As a prior C5 owner the combination (wraparound hardshell and waterfall) is great eye candy.

Kudo's

Last edited by Hary Gahtoe; 11-24-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Thanks, you guys. It's strange how these projects can get to be so huge in a person's mind. It sits there in the garage waiting. Day after day I look at it and think, "I gotta get back on that." The longer it sits, the more I forget where I was and the more complicated it gets... In my mind. Then guilt and intimidation rise.

So, this weekend I decided to get busy and blow the dust off the thing. I had really hoped to get it done this summer so I could enjoy it. I'll be ready for spring.

The problem I'm running into now is just getting the underside finished so it looks and acts like a factory part. The ribs are there for a reason and need to function; not just look pretty. Additionally, there are latches which coincide with catches on the car to hold the tonneau down. There is also a new latch assembly that lives inside the waterfall. All of that needs to work as if it came from the factory that way. I also want the underside to be finished nicely so when its open, everything is smooth and looks finished. The waterfall is attached at the center arm rest on the C5. I covers a metal frame and latch. When the C5 tonneau is open, the waterfall just sits there. I keep looking at the whole thing and wondering if I should graft the waterfall onto the tonneau to eliminate any lines between the two. Then put the latch at the bottom of it connected to the area just behind the center console. It would mean the waterfall would be up in the air when the tonneau was open but it might look a ton better. I'm still working that little question out in my mind. Any thoughts, at all?

As it is now, I could just prime and paint the outside, then use it. But if I do that, it will never get completed. so I'm holding off until every "t" is crossed and each "i" is dotted.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I am real excited about getting it done though. Hary Gohtoe is right, the waterfall and seat bumps are such pretty eye candy. That's really all they do. A gorgeous bit of style the C5 and C6 got to have. Also, in my mock-up drawings before starting the modification, the bumps add a visual detail that breaks up the l-o-n-g rear deck on the convertible. With the top down, there's a big, flat area back there. This mod should make that area more interesting and sexy (if I can go so far as that).

Oh, and I did talk to a local composite shop about what it would take to make more of them. They told me that once my first one is finished, they could use it as a "plug" and make the mold. Everything they do is carbon fiber mixed with fiber glass. You'd never know the fiberglass is there but it gives strength and better flexibility to the carbon fiber. I guess if there were any interest in it, we could make some. It doesn't seem like they would be all that expensive to build; especially if the finish work was done by the purchaser. Then it could be painted or just clear coated (If a guy wanted that look). I haven't given it much thought but its worth considering.

I'm back on track and getting her done!

Get notified of new replies

To The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,380 Likes on 916 Posts

If the waterfall rises with the tonneau, will it clear the seats on its way up and down?

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 AM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I was also wondering if it would be in the way of the top itself going up and down.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Good point. I'm pretty sure it will clear the seats, but you're right, there isn't any way the waterfall would clear the convertible top.

When you release the top, you can pull the back edge of it up and forward. But I know that the tonneau barely clears it with no waterfall. In fact, the seat bumps themselves might mean that the back edge of the top needs to be pushed a bit harder forward.

I'm glad you guys said something because I was all primed to attach them together. I bet that's why they didn't do that from the factory on C5. Ya think??

Thanks for saying something!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!