Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Default The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!

Well, I've finally started a modification on my 1990 convertible that I've been kicking around for a long time. After many, many sketches, cardboard mockups, and collecting the parts needed, I have started the process of putting a waterfall between the seats and seat bumps in the tonneau cover. I know, I know the waterfall will impede an already awkward access to the little storage available. I say, "So what?". It's gonna be kick a$$-looking when done. And in my mocked up versions, it wasn't a huge difference how I stowed stuff in the back anyway.

It works out that the center column will need a slight mod to accommodate the waterfall. Not a huge deal but will make the armrest/door a few inches shorter. What's neat is the bump behind each seat will fit nicely inside the convertible top and the hardtop. I also have a set of Chrome 2-1/8" diameter seat hoops to go between the seats and the tonneau cover. Since the bumps also have cut-a-ways behind each seat, it leaves plenty of room for the hoops without limiting seat travel.

I have some photos of the actual modification in progress but can't get them to upload. Essentially, I found a great deal on a messed up C5 tonneau cover (nice front but the outer edges were chewed up), and found a good one off a C4. That way I can make my alterations and not change the stock cover at all. Everything just bolts on/off. I also found a excellent deal on a C5 waterfall setup and brackets. It has the C5 emblem embossed into the face so I'm going to remove it, fill in the areas behind the emblem with resin, then paint to match (Arctic White) and put a C4 nose emblem there. I'll have to heat up and bow the C4 emblem since the waterfall is curved.

In any case, I had to tell you guys about it since nobody I know locally is as excited about this build as I am. They don't understand it since most just have Prius's or minivans. What can they look forward to?

I also wanted to share that I've gutted my interior and begun installing the sound deadening mat from Corvette Mods. Its the set they sell for about $139 with foil back. So far it has been a breeze to install. Everything fits perfect. What I noticed after removing the interior is how noisy the floor was just sitting there in my garage. Now with about half the kit installed, it has already improved the acoustics and muted the noise. I'm excited to get it done and install new carpet. Cruising at 65 mph was pretty loud in the past. I bet its gonna be sweet now!

I'll figure out how to post photos and at least get the finished pictures uploaded for your review and comment.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well it sounds like a cool idea....let's see it.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Wow, sounds cool. Check out http://photobucket.com to host your images.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The ZR-1 Spyder (the one that fell into the sink hole) has one. This is the only pic I have of it though. Maybe an internet search will show a better view.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I actually found some more:

Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I actually found some more:

Old 03-12-2014, 03:32 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Bluezman, funny you should post this now as I was just considering the same project myself. I think from what you say your's is going to be a little more involved than what I had in mind. I was thinking of a panel between the seats that came up under the deck lid, but didn't go from side to side. I wouldn't have the raised "headrests"... that would be out of my skill level.

I'm thinking that the cargo area would be accessed pretty much only with the top down and the deck lid raised. That space is so small (as you know!) that I don't use it much anyway.

I was thinking of fabricating a pattern in wood (nicely curved, etc.) and then making a fiberglass mold. I didn't think of the C-4 emblem on it but it's a nice idea and I'll do that too. Thanks for the tip.

I'd like to see your pics if you can email them. PM me if you can. Likewise, I'll try to post/send some idea of what I had in mind.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Bluezman
Racer

I didn't know anything about the ZR-1 Spyder. That might have been a big help in doing mine. Maybe... I mean, what are the chances of finding any of that bodywork available to purchase? It seems like something should exist out there but I was never able to find it.

I should also state that I recovered and fit a set of C5 Sport buckets into my C4. At the risk of backlash, it's what I did. A week ago or so I was finally able to drive my car with the seats installed for the first time. It was a big improvement for me. I know a lot of people really like C4 seats. I am not one of them. The C5 seats are just more comfortable to my back and tailbone (which have both been broken). Since the seats have a rounded headrest instead of being squared-off, the tonneau bumps and chrome seat hoops will look better, possibly.

I'm going to try to upload the photos again (thanks for the link).

Last edited by Bluezman; 03-12-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Progress photos.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 AM
Bluezman
Racer

I'll take some more photos of the latest progress.

Since these were taken, the C5 piece has been recessed into the C4 tonneau and the reinforcing members put back together. There is a groove that runs around the back of the bumps that isn't needed. I'm going to fill that with fiberglass to keep it smooth.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

[QUOTE=corvetteronw;1586376220]I actually found some more:

......... Holy Mustard Batman ! ..... .........
Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE
I'm going to try to upload the photos again (thanks for the link).

[/QUOTE]

I like the looks of that. I wonder why an aftermarket co. hasn't come up with this a long time ago. For that matter, why didn't GM do it originally?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Hey everybody. First let me thank you kindly for your posts and comments. Also for the very encouraging PM's sent. I was worried what y'all might think about this and I'm so glad to have the positive feedback. It really energizes me to keep going. I'm trying to get these things finished before summer.

Here are the latest photos from last night. It still needs some trimming and sanding around the edges to get everything lined up just right. But the parts are solidly "welded" together thanks to 3M and their space-age adhesives. I'm amazed how sturdy it has become. When the pieces were separated, it was quite loose and floppy. But already, the tonneau cover is a solid unit. No problem sitting on it even (Although that better not happen -- Just in case my kids are reading this).

Tomorrow or Friday I am going to try to fill the areas along each side with a few strips of fiberglass or carbon fiber and resin. Also, the edges you see around the "bumps" will be smoothed and contoured to the deck. I think it will be ready for primer this weekend possibly!
Then sand and sand and fill and sand and sand........PAINT!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations man!! That will be one beautiful mod. "C4orce2" spends all of its time in car shows here in the Valley of the Sun and I was wondering what my next mod would be. Now I know! Unfortunately I do not have any of your skills and will need to find a local shop to do the work later this year. I will follow your progress and show your work as a guide for whatever shop I use. Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

IMO you should square it up some. The c5 has very curvy lines where the c4 has curves and some sharpness. The c5 waterfall will look wrong on the car. Compare it to the spyder waterfall and you can see what I mean.... It has some sharp lines integrated to fit the c4 styling.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I don't have a C4 anymore but I think this is a great mod for a vert. Should look very cool and unique. Waiting for the finished product.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 206 Posts

That is gonna be kickass.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Let's see, I have a couple of things to say....

First, and most important, is how cool it is to get support and comments from each of you. I've been excited to do this and totally unsure of the process. But it's turning out to be easier than you'd think. GM did a good job making subtle tweaks in covers between C4 and C5 so when you actually get down to the structure of it, everything lines up pretty well. It's kind of a natural modification. But I'm eager to keep moving forward on it to get more photos posted for your comments either way.

I had to mention "mstromquist" avatar. Those are the honest eyes and snout of a black lab. Funny. My avatar is of my oldest black lab. We have a two-year-old as well. These two love everything about Corvettes. Actually they love everything about everything. But in my mind they seem to get especially excited when I'm working on the Corvette. Right now the interior is out of the car, so that's where they hang out when I'm working in the garage. Really, that's where they hang out every chance they get no matter what I'm doing! For those of you reading this who don't have experience with a lab, I highly recommend that you find one. They will change your life. I live by the motto that "I always want to be the person my black labs think I am".

To "vetteLT193" regarding the lines, etc.... I appreciate your insight to this. I think you're right. It's a good point. C4 lines are more defined than C5. In fact I hear comment from people on C7 about the sharp lines being so contemporary and a departure from C5 and C6. Yeah, a departure back to the styling of C4, I think. Compare the two and you'll see remarkable similarities outside and inside both cars. But your point is well made and I'll try to work with that. The factory fiberglass work is thick enough to flatten certain areas and define the shape more than it is. I'm going to do some more sketches and see what looks best. If I can I'll do some of that to align with the C4 a bit more.

Finally, I've been PM'd by a few guys asking if I'd consider doing this for them. I would. The goal, of course, is to keep this mod simple to install and remove if you ever want to go back to factory. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber, but this wouldn't be a good application for that. It's cool and all but not as flexible as fiberglass so I'd worry about cracks. Maybe unnecessarily, however. Anyway, I'm going to kick around the idea since I could use mine to make a plug for a full panel. It seems like it would be expensive though if I was to get a little for my time. it would be a neat mod to have available.

Get notified of new replies

To The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Stang-etr96
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually their was an after market company that made this conversation about 12-15 years ago. It was part of a C4 to C5 conversation kit. I didn't like the total conversation but I did put the hatch on my 91 conv. looks great to date and get tons of compliments on it still. I'll try and get home and get the car uncovered and get some pics.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default waiting to see some pictures

Originally Posted by Stang-etr96
Actually their was an after market company that made this conversation about 12-15 years ago. It was part of a C4 to C5 conversation kit. I didn't like the total conversation but I did put the hatch on my 91 conv. looks great to date and get tons of compliments on it still. I'll try and get home and get the car uncovered and get some pics.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Stang-etr96
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The company was called C5WEST, looks like its out of business now. I did find some internet images that kinda show the humps but not up close detail. My work puter doesn't allow image sharing or downloads so this will have to be a weekend project. Someone looks to have bought the molds because they have them all over EBAY.

Quick Reply: The Coolest Modification for C4 Convertible!!