C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Battery Drain on 1986 Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM
btxpress
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain on 1986 Corvette Coupe

I isolated the drain to the CTSY/CLK; CIRCUIT #40; This also effects the A/C ON/OFF Switch Panel as well as the Heat/Blower Controls. Any advice to the next step/s to correct this problem is appreciated. I already put a battery cut off switch which eliminates a dead battery overnight issue but having to open the hood every time you want to cruise is a pain. Im going to drive it without the fuse in the 15 amp ctsy/clk until I can fix this issue. I really dont need AC when driving with the targa roof off; dont need a clock; but like the radio. Any ideas to correct this issue is again appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That circuit supplies several things including the under hood lights and horns. I'd check those first. Then the power antenna, spare tire light under the rear bumper, cigar lighter, vanity mirror light, curtesy lights, map lights, door locks, in that order. disconnect each circuit individually and check for current leakage at the fuse block or alternatively, check for resistance from the non-hot side of the fuse plug (with the fuse removed) to ground. If the resistance changes signifcantly or reads infinite when you disconnect a specific circuit, you've found the likely source of leakage (or at least one source if you have multiple point failures). Sometimes a simple walk around in the dark will spot if any lights stay on with everything shut down and the doors closed. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 PM
88BlueVette
7th Gear

I don't have the knowledge to solve your battery drainage problem. However, if you get tired of opening the hood and dealing with the battery cut off switch every time you need to start your engine you might consider buying a "Priority Start" device.
This device will help you temporarily until you find the solution to your problem. More details on this device can be found in this link below:
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...PS12vProX.html
This device helped me a lot until I finally found and fixed the problem that I had in my car. Hope you fix your electrical problem soon.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
btxpress
3rd Gear

I checked the hood lights, did a walk around and nothing so far. I know where this is going to lead with my luck; right into the LCD panel; with the car going on 29 years no surprise to me, but will continue to tinker with this issue. I am going to either mount a battery cutoff switch under the drivers side or purchase the "priority start" device as recommended by 88BlueVette; a turn **** cutoff is on the battery and my lifting the heavy hood every time to cutoff the battery is taking a toll on me.

Oh another interesting issue; a new battery was just purchased; alternating charging while driving is normal 13.5 to 14.0; I cut the battery power immediately after driving; reconnecting the battery current the next day, turning the ignition to on to read the current volts (not starting the car) the battery volts reading in the car always reads at 9.8. What's this all about? Thanks fredd1 and 88BlueVette for your comments.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

you'd get more help in the c4 tech performance side.....here's my 2 cents...just went through the ctsy/clk battery drain...having a factory manual would help..it identifies all circuits...12 i think...most are lights so walk around the car in the dark, make sure all are off....map vanity, glove box...especially the spare tire light....i'm assuming you established the proper circuit by measuring the voltage drop as you pulled the fuses....don't think pulling the ctsy fuse stops the radio...good luck..paul...

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain on 1986 Corvette Coupe

Quick Reply: Battery Drain on 1986 Corvette Coupe