Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Coolant Leak, think I've located the problem, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
B7tribz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, think I've located the problem, Help!

Working on my C4 yesterday, I had the hood popped and the engine running, as I was running some gas treatment through it (the man I bought it from let it sit, and I wanted to make sure there was no moisture in the gas). Anyways I parked it and all of the sudden I noticed steam and visible leaking coming from the area of the coolant recovery tank (or overflow tank, or pressurized expansion tank, not sure the proper name). Anyways I shut the engine off and let it sit. I went out this morning with the engine cool, topped off the coolant (It leaked a lot, but needed even more I think it might have been low). Started up the car to locate the leak, and sure enough after idling for about 2-3 minutes, I hear the steam and see the leak. This time I took some pics to document the exact leak spots before turning it off. I was going to replace the tank, but is this all it needs? Thanks for looking.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

A picture would help if we are to look at something.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
B7tribz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  IMG_0333.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  50.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0334.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  56.9 KB
I the two included pictures (if they work) I just show the two places that the coolant seems to be leaking, thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

It could be a bad cap or a cracked tank. Look for cracks in the area of the neck of the tank. Also check to make sure that the line to the overflow tank, which is located in front of the passenger tire, is not blocked. If the line is blocked then there is nowhere for the water to go when it expands as it gets hotter. It will find another way out.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Your new.....so advice. Always give us the year of your car. It makes a difference because the model years are different. If you find that the tank is bad, then I would also look at all the hoses and consider replacing them all. There are several 3/8 hoses that are crimped to aluminum tubes on the passenger fender. You can't buy the replacement part. But you can cut off the crimp and remove the hose and replace the hose and use hose clamps. Note that the one of the tubes is restricted an one end and often plugs up.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the short brass pipe loose where it fits into the header tank, just inder the cap. It was leaking under pressure. I sealed it with Araldite, and blew some satin black over the repair (bodge!!). I intended to replace the tank, but still haven't 15 months later. It's still Ok. BTW, my wife calls me "Tight ***"

Last edited by maddogwyatt; 03-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Leak, think I've located the problem, Help!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, think I've located the problem, Help!