C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

front shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front shock replacement

I will be replacing front shocks this weekend (96 LT1). My service manual says remove the tire and wheel. I was just looking and it seems you could replace shocks without doing this. I know I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but it looks like I can reach everything. Since the shocks don't support the front am I missing something?? Thanks for all responses. Everyone has been great about giving good advice in the past. Bunch of great folks!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I suppose it could be done but its much easier without it in the way. The shock does stop the suspension from going beyond rebound. I would support the lower control arm for sure doing the job. It is not difficult to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You can easily change the shocks with the car on the ground. You may need a swivel and a long extension to remove the 13mm headed bolts on the lower shock mount. Air tools will make the job a lot quicker. Been there, done that, many times. When my car was a street/strip car, I used to switch between drag shocks and street shocks between races. After a while, I just left the drag shocks on.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Craneman, I agree with "Bunch of great folks" in this forum. If I ever hit it big in the lottery I'd send checks to all the guys who have given me good advice over the years. My brother saved a bundle by going to the forum and not to a dealer/shop.

Get notified of new replies

To front shock replacement

Quick Reply: front shock replacement