C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Shifter and Exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Default Shifter and Exhuast

This has probably been beaten to death but hey, this is a Corvette forum so you all want to talk about Vette subjects, right? If not, go to the next thread!

So, I have had my CE for a couple weeks now and had intended to leave it all stock when I got it. That's why I got a super clean CE / LT4 car figuring it would be about the best of the C4's (along with the GS's and ZR1's) and I wouldn't have to do anything to it.

Well, on Sunday I went for a run with a bunch of C5's & C6's including modded ZO6's and a ZR1. While I was able to keep up with everyone without any problems (and they were hauling butt!) I'm not crazy about the stock shifter.

My C5 had a Hurst shifter and it was really tight and precise. It had the que ball size **** which I wasn't crazy about (see photo) but I did like the way it shifted.

I like the smoothness and ease of the stock C4 shifter but the throw is very wide and not conducive to quick shifts when driving on twisties.

Not sure how the Hurst is on the ZF C4 trans vs the C5. I saw some guys running the ZF Doc short shifter. Is that just a shorter shift lever? What else are you guys running?

My next question is on exhaust. I read through the Corsa thread and people seem to be happy with them but I really like my stock rectangular tips. I had Flow Masters on my C5 and they sounded great but had ugly tips (see photo).

Is there a good system that retains the stock tips or has mufflers with stock style tips? I don't want too loud or the drone at speed but you can barely hear the stock exhaust.
Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

borla makes a nice exaust with stock looking tips.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Love the Hurst in my 94. Stop by and I'll let you try it out.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Recommend the ZFDOC short throw shifter. Very smoth shift and the stock ZF transmissions shift well with it. Hurst is ok but the ZFDOC system is a lot smoother. As to an exhaust system I recommend a Corsa. GC
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

ill be able to give an opinion on the hurst by the end of next week. Its sitting in a box here right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter and Exhuast

Quick Reply: Shifter and Exhuast