Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heater Valve? How to stop the heat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM
revets00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heater Valve? How to stop the heat.

Tried to find some answers on here without starting a new thread but no luck. How to you stop the heat from coming in on an 89 C4? I know they have some kind of electronic control valve that I don't even think you can buy anymore. I've put a manual ball valve in the heater line but it get's aggravating when you have to stop and raise the hood to turn the heater on.
How to you get to this valve and can it be fixed or replaced?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You Should Be Able To Buy The Valve. It Is Always Circulating Until You Turn On The AC. When You Turn On The AC Vacuum Is Pulled From The Valve And Closes It.

Its Called A Heater Control Valve. That's What You Should Be Looking For When Searching For A Replacement.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounsd like C68 system, if so have you verified the Air Mix valve actuator is moving the blend door properly?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
You Should Be Able To Buy The Valve. It Is Always Circulating Until You Turn On The AC. When You Turn On The AC Vacuum Is Pulled From The Valve And Closes It.

Its Called A Heater Control Valve. That's What You Should Be Looking For When Searching For A Replacement.
'89 doesn't have the shut off valve; coolant flows through the core full time ;
as noted above only the blend door position controls the temp
Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 AM
revets00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked under there a while back and the doors seemed to be opening and closing. Just seems there is just too much heat coming in with the a/c off. Seems if the heat is off there should be no heat. I had a 77 vette back in the day and I put a manual valve on it to. These cars will burn you up in the summer driving slow in town. I tried checking on that last year and I was thinking there was some kind of control valve and it has been discontinued. I may be wrong.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The heater control valve on older cars is controlled by the HVAC programmer by a vacuum line. The newer HVAC programmers are missing the vacuum solenoid for the heater control valve so there is no way to retrofit one. I doubt that the signal is there from the HVAC control head to the HVAC programmer to close the heater control valve, so that's another reason it can't be retrofitted.

My car does have the heater control valve and it only closes if you have the HVAC in the AUTO mode.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by revets00
Seems if the heat is off there should be no heat.
As noted the heater core has hot coolant flow all the time.
The only thing that prevents heat into air stream is the door fully closing , possibly the foam seals are gone ?

Originally Posted by revets00
I looked under there a while back and the doors seemed to be opening and closing.
Pull the BCM out and look in the hole to see if you have full blend door travel when the controls operated

Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I agree with the earlier post the heater box seals have had it, the heat from the engine bay can enter the cabin and bring heat from the heater.
Check you heater if the vacuum heater valve works, are the vacuum hoses good.

I also have two ball valves to turn off the coolant flow to and from the heater.
Even with the vacuum operated heater water valve working there is so much heat in the heater box. It would have been better design to have the heater box with all tje heat in the engine bay and a/c evaporator in the cabin.
May be time to pull the heater box and replace the old seals also check the damper seals correctly.

They would not have sold the car with constant heat entering the cabin with heater turned off.
Perhaps someone who got their c4 new can let us know how the cabin was in summer?
Cheers
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
I agree with the earlier post the heater box seals have had it, the heat from the engine bay can enter the cabin and bring heat from the heater.
I was talking about the foam seals inside the ducting that the blend door seals to stop airflow through the heater core.
In the unit out of my '89 they were just powder

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Valve? How to stop the heat.

Quick Reply: Heater Valve? How to stop the heat.